The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

24 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Fire Tim Horton!

Not a Timmy fan because of the quality of their product and frankly the service. It is like they defy you to deal with them. But  Starbucks isn’t much dif. 

Having been in in the service industry the operators are faced with certain realities. Staff turnover is high virus or not. Unpaid sick leave is probably not an issue. It is how do they open the doors with enough staff to operate. How many of their staff will work whether sick or not because they need the paycheque? Next time you go to one of these sites do a head count behind the counter. Operators usually try to give staff as many hours as possible so staff can earn enough money. Lessening hours and hiring more people would give more flexibility to their business. Top that with difficulty in finding new hires. There is a reason why you see so many Filipinos working there. They are willing to work when many are not. 

A tough situation.

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:
The mini-scandal of the weekend is what's unfolding at US airports. Late last week Trump ordered:
  1. Ban on European flights
  2. Returning flights from Europe can only come to 13 US airports
The unintended consequence was a massive surge into US airports this weekend with people from all over Europe crammed into lineups and confined spaces -- some for as many as 10 hours.

Forexlive Image View

Yikes.  This is definitely not going to flatten the curve.  Lots of spots there isn't even room to cover your mouth properly in that crowd.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks IRR and nux, I'll stay home tomorrow, and will until the cough is completely gone. No point taking stupid risks, just to try and impress a boss who hates me anyway lol The world is changing and things have shut down. Just the way it is right now.  

No prob! Spot on my friend...def changing and it's really about the big picture now. I hope it's not it and you feel better asap! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

What I’m taking away from this is that Canada is reacting to this virus as it develops instead of being proactive  before it develops. Canada has preformed 25,000 tests as of today. In comparison South Korea has tested 248,000 and are preforming 10,000 tests per day. I think Canada should be rapidly scaling up testing in order to get ahead of this instead of reacting as new developments unfold. 

Should made it a priority to test ppl with allergies, exc.  If there's similar symptoms of what people have chronically to the COVID symptoms then people aren't going to know until they feel really or unusually bad. Should try to make it more accessible for those people, or better yet just people in general.

I love how some Canadians are pointing fingers at the US, calling their numbers BS, criticizing reactionary action, exc. Meanwhile it's the same thing here. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not a Timmy fan because of the quality of their product and frankly the service. It is like they defy you to deal with them. But  Starbucks isn’t much dif. 

Having been in in the service industry the operators are faced with certain realities. Staff turnover is high virus or not. Unpaid sick leave is probably not an issue. It is how do they open the doors with enough staff to operate. How many of their staff will work whether sick or not because they need the paycheque? Next time you go to one of these sites do a head count behind the counter. Operators usually try to give staff as many hours as possible so staff can earn enough money. Lessening hours and hiring more people would give more flexibility to their business. Top that with difficulty in finding new hires. There is a reason why you see so many Filipinos working there. They are willing to work when many are not. 

A tough situation.

Many of those workers were brought in by franchisees under a Foreign worker program. Many employers took advantage these “captive” employees because at the time they had to stay working for yet company that sponsored them 

those abuses forced the government to remove the requirement for the foreign worker to have to remain with the employer that sponsored them. 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Many of those workers were brought in by franchisees under a Foreign worker program. Many employers took advantage these “captive” employees because at the time they had to stay working for yet company that sponsored them 

those abuses forced the government to remove the requirement for the foreign worker to have to remain with the employer that sponsored them. 

I am sure that happened and hopefully there was a process for dealing with it. The Fernie Tim’s had some kind of issue that cost the franchisee his business. That location has never recovered in what 4 years. 

That at is not a universal situation. Close friend of mine have a D-Q and are quality people. They brought workers in and bought a nice house for them to live in. Eventually these folks moved on once they got established and moved up the wage scale. They still keep in contact with my friends but now live in bigger cities. 

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Should made it a priority to test ppl with allergies, exc.  If there's similar symptoms of what people have chronically to the COVID symptoms then people aren't going to know until they feel really or unusually bad. Should try to make it more accessible for those people, or better yet just people in general.

I love how some Canadians are pointing fingers at the US, calling their numbers BS, criticizing reactionary action, exc. Meanwhile it's the same thing here. 

Plus side of having pretty severe allergies is I'm gonna get sent home from work real quick to self-quarantine, which I'd rather do anyway at this stage.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Plus side of having pretty severe allergies is I'm gonna get sent home from work real quick to self-quarantine, which I'd rather do anyway at this stage.

I hear ya. This has been a brutal year for allergies for me....the minute the first snow melt started back in the beginning of February, it was back on prescription meds and inhalers that STILL don't relieve all symptoms so thank the gawds for Advil Cold Sinus Plus. Usually I get a break from meds from the end of October to mid-March but this year was basically 3 weeks no prescription meds.

Needless to say, I am staying away from a lot of places and people ( sayonara to the Pace & Pint St Patty's Run and Pub lunch) and only going out when absolutely required. It's difficult to know for sure sometimes whether it's allergies, gym 'hangover', cold, 'regular' winter flu/cold or something more sinister.

Aye, Carumba and chi-hoo-a-hoo-a, whatcha gonna do, right? :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Why just pick on Tim Horton’s??

numerous companies have this type of policy.

Before I retired, where I worked; if you were sick for 3 or more days, you were required to get a Doctors note.

On Friday I had to sign a document stating that if I had to self-isolate that my options are use all my sick time (5days/yr) + vacation time, OR unpaid leave and maybe EI. 

59 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Are people getting to take work off? 

I want to talk to my boss about changing my schedule/ duties to maximize my social distancing, don't know how well it's going to go down though.

37 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

What I’m taking away from this is that Canada is reacting to this virus as it develops instead of being proactive  before it develops. Canada has preformed 25,000 tests as of today. In comparison South Korea has tested 248,000 and are preforming 10,000 tests per day. I think Canada should be rapidly scaling up testing in order to get ahead of this instead of reacting as new developments unfold. 

They should really be closing everything non-essential now, not when there's 100s of cases in each province. The risk is the asymptomatic people spreading it around. There is so much more that could and should be done now.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Wait till there's a real crisis - society will implode quickly

If everything gets shutdown chaos will ensue. We thought the cup riots were bad, Idiots almost burned down our own city.

1 hour ago, Petey40 said:

Canada always waits, we are never proactive, always reactive unfortunately.  With how others have taken the approaches you would think Canada would try and take the best ones from that and follow suit but we are pretty much following USAs lead for a wait and see approach.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Update:  I am back on home soil, flew back early yesterday.

Going through customs I was asked if I was feeling well and handed this paper. That was all the screening I went through.

mind you, I was coming from a low risk area.

435E8FCE-4564-4C14-9BA6-5EFB303E5CEA.jpeg

Welcome home. Must feel good being back.

• Cheers 1