The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Early days.  Human and animal trials ongoing.  Hopefully, this all works out, but we are months away form a working human version in the best-case scenario. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/monkeys-given-new-oxford-vaccine-coronavirus-free-strong-exposure-encouraging-2020-4?utm_source=reddit.com

6 monkeys given an experimental coronavirus vaccine from Oxford did not catch COVID-19 after heavy exposure, raising hopes for a human vaccine

• Monkeys given an experimental vaccine from the University of Oxford appear to have resisted the novel coronavirus.
  • Six rhesus macaques given hAdOx1 nCoV-19 in Montana did not fall ill despite heavy exposure, The New York Times reported Monday.
  • There is no guarantee the vaccine will work on humans, but successful animal tests are a promising early sign.
  • The Oxford Vaccine Group began human trials for the vaccine last week.

The worlds largest drug maker based in India will start producing millions of doses of this vaccine starting next month. Based on that scenario we should all be good to go for Canucks hockey this fall !

World Health Organization is not an enforcement branch. I extremely doubt they have investigators reviewing the numbers brought in by every country. 

In the end it's in each countries interest to be open and honest about the numbers, and the situation. 

"The WHO's broad mandate includes advocating for universal healthcare, monitoring public health risks, coordinating responses to health emergencies, and promoting human health and well being.[6] It provides technical assistance to countries, sets international health standards and guidelines, and collects data on global health issues through the World Health Survey." Wikipedia.

Did the WHO not respond quickly enough? Probably, but that goes to many countries around the world. The US has more dead than Canada has cases in total. 

Looking at the UN/WHO as scapegoats doesn't help. Making improvements next time so nations are more prepared is what's needed. 

And there's a lot of blame to go around. Some leaders downplay the outbreak, and seem not to care about it's population. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

World Health Organization is not an enforcement branch. I extremely doubt they have investigators reviewing the numbers brought in by every country. 

In the end it's in each countries interest to be open and honest about the numbers, and the situation. 

"The WHO's broad mandate includes advocating for universal healthcare, monitoring public health risks, coordinating responses to health emergencies, and promoting human health and well being.[6] It provides technical assistance to countries, sets international health standards and guidelines, and collects data on global health issues through the World Health Survey." Wikipedia.

Did the WHO not respond quickly enough? Probably, but that goes to many countries around the world. The US has more dead than Canada has cases in total. 

Looking at the UN/WHO as scapegoats doesn't help. Making improvements next time so nations are more prepared is what's needed. 

And there's a lot of blame to go around. Some leaders downplay the outbreak, and seem not to care about it's population. 

Just another jab at another world organization is all.

I hear there’s a huge demand for leadership on finding a vaccine...

Edited by Me_

On 4/27/2020 at 12:49 PM, DarthMelvin said:

I don't care for Trump. He's not my leader. 

What I stated is a fact. Some people have no education when it comes to what the media spews out.  How informed would this planet be REALLY... if the media actually told the truth  or news. 

Trump did not say the Virus was a hoax like many believe.

AND When Trump sarcastically mentioned bleach injection... some people took him seriously.  whats more pathetic...lol 

You know what... that's the human race for you. 

Give your head a shake. :lol:

You and  Hannity are probably the only people that believe that Trump was being sarcastic. 
Not that sarcasm had any place in these circumstances. Not that you care for Trump, not that he’s your leader. lol.

smh:picard:  

That’s DM for you:goat:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

How much 'proceeds' are going to the food banks though? 1%, 10% or 100%?

Whitecaps did theirs (which look nicer in my opinion) for the aquarium and they put out the costs.  It costs like $8 to make and were selling for $20 I believe.  All proceeds went to aquarium and saw they passed the $1,000,000 mark, don't know if that was sales of masks or the proceeds (evenso thats like $600,000 at least to the aquarium).

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well, Moscow Mitch failed to put a confirmation vote for the US representative to the WHO Executive Board.  So the US has been absent from the board and having a direct voice as to the comings and goings.  So if anything, the finger pointing is squarely on TRUMP and the GOP.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/z3ba5j/trump-is-scapegoating-the-who-but-failed-to-confirm-a-us-representative-for-3-years

Trump Is Scapegoating the WHO — But Failed to Confirm a U.S. Representative for 3 Years

Trump and the Senate GOP ignored the World Health Organization. Then came the new coronavirus pandemic.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

They issued a global health emergency on Jan 31, what do you want them to do?

They actually intentionally try to avoid the "pandemic" label because of the fear and panic it can cause.  They did their job on Jan 31, after that it's on the leaders of individual nations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/qa-pandemic-declaration-means-69541987

So, they waited a month?  

Not good enough in my books - and if it is in anyone's - then they better be okay with any leader out there (like Trump) that delayed action.

Otherwise - they are a hypocrite.

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The NHL follows the NBA (once again) in selling team branded masks. Proceeds go towards Food Banks Canada (and Feeding America).

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nhl-face-masks-coronavirus

The NHL has begun selling team-branded face masks for charity

Oh well, I already ordered a couple White Caps / Aquarium masks ( $ goes to keep the Aquarium running) .... only need so many masks;) nice souvenirs for our grandchildren down the road I guess ... remember the virus of 2020 ...

12 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So, they waited a month?  

Not good enough in my books - and if it is in anyone's - then they better be okay with any leader out there (like Trump) that delayed action.

Otherwise - they are a hypocrite.

What do you call for those that are pushing to 'open for business' now?  Blame China for that?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Looks like they’re releasing prisoners early due to Covid. 

Dude across my street murdered a prostitute and about is now out of prison few years earlier. 

Hopefully he is not looking for place to stay.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

What do you call for those that are pushing to 'open for business' now?  Blame China for that?

I call them out of their minds - but what has that got to do with WHO being held responsible for delaying?

6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I call them out of their minds - but what has that got to do with WHO being held responsible for delaying?

Plenty of blame to go around - it's amount I'd place on one vs the other.  Why?  In spite of the evidence now, they STILL are doing insane things now.  Tells me, they wouldn't have acted too much different had they been "warned earlier".   Now other countries that acted way quicker & haven't decided to 'open up now', they've got a bone to pick with China.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Plenty of blame to go around - it's amount I'd place on one vs the other.  Why?  In spite of the evidence now, they STILL are doing insane things now.  Tells me, they wouldn't have acted too much different had they been "warned earlier".   Now other countries that acted way quicker & haven't decided to 'open up now', they've got a bone to pick with China.

Geopolitical earthquakes are about to happen.

WHO is the least of our problem.

Basically there is a man-made oil leak that covers the world and it may cost more to stop it than to use it.

The Global economy is mostly stalled and the US is paying companies to take the oil because they are literally running out of storage space. This is how silly this is.

It costs around ten million dollars to dig an oil well in Texas and when you cap it, that oil well dies. So it’ll have to be dug again.

It may cost less to use it in a war than the potential catastrophe the oil industry is heading toward.

The Bannon train is looking toward China.

Millions jobless.

Its that knucklehead armed to the teeth 30% that is the dangerous ones in America.

The narrative spewed down their throats makes them victims of a system they’ll never quite grasp. 

Makes good soldiers. Especially their children. 

All America has to offer them, is the prospects of pretty ribbons.

In other places on Earth, a Global stall is a matter of life and death beyond the luxury of choice. There will be numerous boiling points.

But that Texas crude though... 

5.3 million barrels per day. 

Can’t be stopped; can’t be stored.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1