CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think meat is ok if it isn't approached as a daily necessity. Meat provides a good source of nutrients, both on macro and micro scale, but the problem is when people eat it every day they can't afford the high quality meat. Mass farming is an issue, not only environmentally, but also from a meat quality perspective. Meat is fantastic if you go organic and locally sourced but the problem is doing that cost 2x as much. I eat meat probably once per week as a treat on the weekends but I buy a high quality cut. I am vegetarian 6 days per week. Some plant based products can still be filled with $!&# though. The mrs loves the beyond meat burgers but they really aren't that good for you, but neither are meat burgers so you have to treat them the same way.

Ill have to give those mushroom bites a try. Are they in the freezer section or near tofu etc in save on?

I agree with you. I recommend aiming for an 80/20 goal for people who can't give up meat. 80% plant based food 20% quality meat/dairy/eggs

I also agree there is a lot of bad packaged vegan food. Unfortunately it can be trial and error to find good stuff. I always check ingredients. 

The mushroom bites are in the produce area near the salad dressings that are refrigerated. 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

The mushroom bites are in the produce area near the salad dressings that are refrigerated. 

Irony is some of the salad dressing people put in their “healthy salads” could end up being as bad for you as a Rotten Ronald’s burger (eg.m sodium, etc.,).

• Burr 1

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Gas station coffee > Tims

7/11 is legit decent these days. 

• Hydration 3

32 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think meat is ok if it isn't approached as a daily necessity. Meat provides a good source of nutrients, both on macro and micro scale, but the problem is when people eat it every day they can't afford the high quality meat. Mass farming is an issue, not only environmentally, but also from a meat quality perspective. Meat is fantastic if you go organic and locally sourced but the problem is doing that cost 2x as much. I eat meat probably once per week as a treat on the weekends but I buy a high quality cut. I am vegetarian 6 days per week. Some plant based products can still be filled with $!&# though. The mrs loves the beyond meat burgers but they really aren't that good for you, but neither are meat burgers so you have to treat them the same way.

Ill have to give those mushroom bites a try. Are they in the freezer section or near tofu etc in save on?

Unknown-1.jpeg.7a4982b1f57071604c31c0da3bcfe8e6.jpeg

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Templeton Peck said:

In case anyone needed another reason to hate on Tim Hortons:

I don't get to be off work, and I don't work at Tim Hortons

32 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

7/11 is legit decent these days. 

Lol...for some reason I first read 7/11 as 9/11 and said to myself.....wtf??? :lol:

• Haha 1

I was wondering if the Corona virus will affect the vaping crowd. I know that some of them had lung issues from vaping and the virus might hit them harder than other young people.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I was wondering if the Corona virus will affect the vaping crowd. I know that some of them had lung issues from vaping and the virus might hit them harder than other young people.

I think it will affect the beat boxing community 

Posted (edited)

Canada 227 total, 27 new cases since yesterday.

virus.jpg

Edited by nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I find that, during something like this, we really get to see the character of some people. Those who don't feel well isolating, which is great. But then hearing of those that are sick and going on with life as usual. This is really irresponsible. It's also pretty disgusting to see some people hoarding everything, and then trying to sell it online, or just being selfish. "I'm saving myself, F*** you all", kind of attitude. 

Then you get a different level of d*uche who seek to profit from times like this.  I'm referring to people hoarding items like toilet paper and then reselling then at hugely inflated prices online.

• Hydration 1

38 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I will miss french kissing Alf.:(

• Haha 1

Quebec Premier François Legault has banned all visits to public senior homes and hospitals.

Legault is asking all people who are aged 70 years and over to avoid leaving their homes, as they are at a higher risk of serious consequences should they get the virus.

Public Health Director Horatio Arruda is also asking all people with compromised immune systems or chronic ailments to avoid all non-essential outings, regardless of age.

The Quebec government has launched a health emergency decree for at least 10 days.

The province is adding seven more designated testing and treatment centres, creating a total of 19. It is also adding extra beds in these centres.

Quebec now has 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with four more cases confirmed Saturday morning. Another 853 people are under investigation.

An elementary school student at the Collège international Marie de France school has tested positive for COVID-19.

All schools, universities, daycares and CEGEPs in Quebec will be closed for two weeks starting Monday.

The government is asking people not to call 811 if they suspect they have COVID-19. Instead, they should call 1-877-644-4545.

People coming from outside the country or anyone with flu-like symptoms should self-isolate for 14 days.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Trump says he took coronavirus test and expands travel ban to UK and Ireland

Donald Trump has announced new measures to tackle the coronavirus crisis, including expanding the existing US travel ban to travelers from the UK and Ireland.

In a lunchtime briefing at the White House, the president also confirmed he had taken a test for the virus himself, although the result was not yet available.

“I decided I should,” he said.

Trump had come under pressure after exposure to sufferers including a member of Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro’s entourage in Florida last weekend.

In a statement on Friday Trump’s physician, Dr Sean Conley, said there was no need to quarantine the president or implement a test. Trump’s encounter with Bolsonaro aide Fabio Wajngarten was “low risk”, the doctor said, adding that another Mar-a-Lago guest who has tested positive also interacted with the president.

On Saturday, Trump told the media he had taken a test after all. His daughter Ivanka Trump, a White House adviser, entered self-isolation on Friday after meeting an Australian politician later revealed to have tested positive.

News of Trump’s test followed days of controversy highlighted by his continuing to shake hands with people, even as official advice recommended “social distancing”.

“It becomes a habit. People walk up to me, they shake hands, it’s kind of a natural reflex,” Trump said. “Shaking hands is not a great thing to be doing right now, I tend to agree.”

Trump said he took his test on Friday night and would await the result for “two days, whatever it is”.

more in the link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/14/trump-coronavirus-paid-sick-leave-unemployment-testing

Edited by nuckin_futz

31 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Finally some movement on the travel front:

So it’s war on the virus then, we can beat this sh*t. 

A lot of people have been relying on the official numbers and especially the John Hopkins University website.........

Some sobering words from the that very university........

“Don’t believe the numbers when you see, even on our Johns Hopkins website, that 1,600 Americans have the virus,” he said.

“No, that means 1,600 got the test, tested positive. There are probably 25 to 50 people who have the virus for every one person who is confirmed.”

He added:

“I think we have between 50,000 and half a million cases right now walking around in the United States.”

• Upvote 1

Here's an article for those who have been criticizing the Liberals for not introducing a travel ban like Trump has:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/viruses-dont-carry-passports-why-travel-bans-wont-work-to-stop-spread-of-covid-19/ar-BB118dgQ?li=AAggXBV

U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to restrict travel from most European countries to try to contain what he called a "foreign virus" isn't grounded in science and breaks international law, experts say.

Trump announced the month-long travel ban earlier this week to restrict passenger arrivals from 26 European nations that he said "seeded" the virus.

Dr. Allison McGeer, an infectious disease consultant and microbiologist at Toronto's Sinai Health Network, said the ban is not evidence-based.

"What the science tells you is that travel bans are not nearly effective as you think they might be," McGeer said. "I think we really need to be focused on what we need to do to protect ourselves from community transmission in our countries as opposed to worrying about what happens when other people coming from other countries to us."

Similarly, when asked whether the Canada-U.S. border might close to limit spread, McGeer said "probably not."

"There's a bit of a temptation to say now that because we have so many fewer cases in Canada than some places in the United States that we might worry about travellers from the United States," she said. "That kind of restriction might delay our outbreak by a week … and the damage that it does is probably just not worth that week's delay."

Travel bans also risk discouraging people from disclosing where they've previously visited.

Officially, the World Health Organization says that denying entry to passengers arriving from affected countries are "usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have significant economic and social impact."

What's more, there are disadvantages to travel bans, said Steven Hoffman, a professor of global health law and political science at York University who uses legal and public health expertise to advise governments on pandemics.

"They don't work," Hoffman said. "They undermine the public health response. They undermine trust in governments and violate international law in the process."

The reason travel bans and restrictions don't work, he said, is that if people want to travel, they'll find ways to do so. Instead it's best if people travel through "official channels" that can be monitored and made safer by identifying cases and their close contacts.

The Public Health Agency of Canada now asks travellers from China, Iran and Italy to contact the public health authority in the province or territory where they live or stay within 24 hours of arrival. Travellers are also asked to watch for fever, cough, or difficulty breathing. If so, they should call ahead to provincial health authorities.

"Viruses don't carry passports. They don't respect border officials," Hoffman said. "They certainly don't prefer one country's citizens over another." 

The European Union's governing body objected to the U.S. ban, saying "the coronavirus is a global crisis, not limited to any continent and it requires co-operation rather than unilateral action."

Dan Werb is assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of California San Diego and the University of Toronto who studies health policy and communications.

Werb said the side-effects of epidemics go far beyond the pathogens that are driving them. The role of governments therefore is to restore confidence and quell panic.

"We know that panic is a common response to epidemics," Werb said. "The kinds of moves being made by the Trump administration are just essentially doing the opposite of what they should be doing."

Several modelling studies have looked at how effective Wuhan's lockdown was. The conclusion? It likely delayed the spread of the virus to other parts of China by around three days.

Canada is earlier in its outbreak than some other countries, including China and the U.S.

"The key is that Canada needs to maintain its current evidence-based approach to outbreak response and not take any knee-jerk reactions that might be motivated by other considerations, which admittedly I understand it's hard for political leaders to do," Hoffman said.

If the epidemic worsens, Canadians might see public health authorities ask people to voluntarily reconsider gathering with large groups.

For now, Canadian health officials are asking all segments of society to prepare by:

• Taking stock if meetings and conferences could happen virtually instead of in person, or be delayed.
  • Asking school boards to develop contingency plans in case of a local outbreak in the community.
  • Considering whether events should be cancelled if things get worse.

Otherwise, the advice to stay home when sick, wash hands often and give handshake alternatives like elbow bumps still stands.

As the article states, the kudos being given to Trump (ITT and in some media sectors) for instituting his travel ban, look to be somewhat misplaced....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

A lot of people have been relying on the official numbers and especially the John Hopkins University website.........

Some sobering words from the that very university........

“Don’t believe the numbers when you see, even on our Johns Hopkins website, that 1,600 Americans have the virus,” he said.

“No, that means 1,600 got the test, tested positive. There are probably 25 to 50 people who have the virus for every one person who is confirmed.”

He added:

“I think we have between 50,000 and half a million cases right now walking around in the United States.”

I read that as well, the first thought that comes to mind is if let’s say we split the difference and go 275 thousand people have it. How many people have it 2 days from now? How many 1 week from now? Not trying to fear monger just a scary thought because of America’s pathetic response to this.