CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

About 10 years ago I was in line in a Tim’s (could not justify waiting in the drive through) and I just asked myself why the h am I lining up for this?

from that day forward I have never purchased from Tim’s 

now I happily pay my dollar at McDonalds 

Similar with myself. On my way to work I've waited in the drive thru to place my order. Only for them to tell me debit was down. Then proceeded to wait until I could leave the drive thru. 4-5 times this happened in a 2 month span.  

Now I just abuse the F out of my Keurig. My blood pressure and my wallet thank me for it.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Similar with myself. On my way to work I've waited in the drive thru to place my order. Only for them to tell me debit was down. Then proceeded to wait until I could leave the drive thru. 4-5 times this happened in a 2 month span.  

Now I just abuse the F out of my Keurig. My blood pressure and my wallet thank me for it.

So true man 

I too use make coffee at home in the am for my drive 

better coffee and no lines 

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Great point 

it’s a vicious cycle isn’t it? 

I read one suggestion 

walk in, give your coffee money directly to staff, turn around and walk out 

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

People wonder why so many die every flu season. That's is why. We are taught to tough it out and go to work even when sick. As a result, it spreads and the ones that get really sick or die are the most vulnerable.  When was the last time everyone is talking about social distancing or cough into elbow, wash your hands? Almost never. Just go to any public washroom or Canucks arena, so many guys go out without washing their hands. 

By most estimates, COVID-19 will be about 10 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. But the problem is added by the rate of new cases, becuase it is a new outbreak.  Since there is no immunity in the population, it will spread quicker and once there is too many people seeking care, our hospitals and ICU will be overwhelmed.  It is still the flu season, and all the other diseases don't have a seasonality (heart attack, stroke, etc). Eventually people will die not just from COVID-19 and flu, but also from lack of resources for all other diseases. 

So even you are healthy, best to isolate as much as you can. Avoid crowds, long lines, unnecessary travel. You can be the next vector to someone else's death. 

As much as you can for sure. However 'as much as you can' is grey, not black and white. That's what I was getting at. There's a line somewhere.

I went to the grocery store on Friday in the morning (not my usual time for that errand) thinking there would be less people. It was the exact opposite. There must've been 250 cars nevermind 250 people. But what are you supposed to do? Still gotta eat. 

As far as being taught to tough it out. I don't know if 'taught' is the right way to put it. Other than maybe in construction. I've never been explicitly told to come to work when I was sick. I've been told to go home or stay home plenty of times tho. Maybe it's still prevalent in some fields more than others but the trend is hopefully changing. Maybe after this it will. But because we don't live in Utopia, going to work when your 80% over a common cold is a byproduct of necessity more than malevolence. Atleast I'd hope.

I agree malevolence does existent within people, in regards to not washing hands, lacking courtesy to cover up a cough, or having an implusive/unnecessary 'tough it out' way. 

As far as it being on the individual I completely agree. I don't know why people would travel or not be making choices with this pandemic in mind.

Its too bad we fell behind the ball on this, it would be good if we had an efficent way of testing people so we could try to identify the virus with more accuracy. Its probably niave not to think more people in Canada have it than we know.

Roundup of the latest coronavirus news: Absolutely crushing newsflow

Sun 15 Mar 2020 13:43:39 GMT

The newsflow is absolutely overwhelming right now

The newsflow is absolutely overwhelming right now
Here are a few of the bigger recent headlines:
  • Spain declares emergency. Cases jump 35% today to 7753
  • Wife of Spain's PM tests positive
  • Mnuchin says he doesn't expect a US recession
  • Netherlands cases up 176 to 1135
  • Portugal cases to 245 from 169
  • Norway to 1077 from 907
  • Israel central bank launches QE program to buy government bonds
  • Virgin Atlantic CEO says UK airlines will need as much as 7.5B pounds in aid
  • Beijing to quarantine all overseas arrivals at centres for 14 days
  • UK talking to companies about switching to make ventilators
  • Dubai to shut all cinemas, gyms, camps until end of month
  • India says it has 107 confirmed cases
  • Japan reports 31 new cases for total of 1513
  • Iran confirms 1209 cases today
  • Czech gov't likely to declare national quarantine - local reports
  • UK health secretary says will take powers to order quarantines if necessary
  • Malaysia reports 190 new cases
  • 21 new cases in Indonesia, total at 117
  • Thailand reports 29 new cases
  • American Airlines says it will halt nearly all long-haul international flights in phase-in starting Monday
I'll expand on this much more on Monday but I'm increasingly convinced that the economic hit from all of this is going to be catastrophic. The debt markets are going to completely freeze and the bailouts are going to be stratospheric.

Trump sending out an autographed copy of the rally in stocks late on Friday is going to live in infamy:
Trump tweet
  • Hydration 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Incorrect 

the policy is in fact a corporate policy 

nice try

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/boycottTimHortons?src=hashtag_click

Why just pick on Tim Horton’s??

numerous companies have this type of policy.

Before I retired, where I worked; if you were sick for 3 or more days, you were required to get a Doctors note.

Edited by redhdlois

Did a minor grocery run this morning. Included a few things for my daughter and neighbour.

Grocery store was surprisingly quiet. This was at just after 9:00am. Parking lot only half full. 

TP was out. Signs up with max 2 limit.

Meat was pretty bare.

Canned goods pretty limited.

Fresh produce fully stocked.

Hoping this means the grocery nonsense is starting to temper.

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

Did a minor grocery run this morning. Included a few things for my daughter and neighbour.

Grocery store was surprisingly quiet. This was at just after 9:00am. Parking lot only half full. 

TP was out. Signs up with max 2 limit.

Meat was pretty bare.

Canned goods pretty limited.

Fresh produce fully stocked.

Hoping this means the grocery nonsense is starting to temper.

The only thing that bugs me is people hoarding the milk I buy for my kid.

Natrel 3.5%

Always stocked. No one buys this $&!# but us. Until now...

I'll wipe my ass with sandpaper... but dont mess with my boy's well being.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The only thing that bugs me is people hoarding the milk I buy for my kid.

Natrel 3.5%

Always stocked. No one buys this $&!# but us. Until now...

I had no issues with milk. Actually grabbed some for my daughter. Must admit I didn't have a good look at the inventory. Just saw what I needed, grabbed and moved on.

26 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i started boycotting before i even realized how crappy their offerings were

i stopped going when i realized i'd have to line up and wait every time i went there

i was stunned to see people would wait in lines for 15 minutes or longer

for the privilege to get a timbit or some other morsel from them

i figure if they cannot figure out how to more quickly take my money from me

they really do not have a solid business model

and i lost interest in going there

oops i see another poster who i have on iggy

posted something similar

in my initial blindness to that post i now see that i am redundant

It seems to me that timmies is not just about coffee but is a fast food place. While MacDonald coffee is better there other stuff is not. 

It seems like they have a better lineup of food in there sandwich types and soups chilli deals that are less expensive and healthier. Healthier, not necessarily healthy. 

MacDonald's isn't fit for consumption.  Always feel sick after I eat there good and my energy level goes down .  

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

It seems to me that timmies is not just about coffee but is a fast food place. While MacDonald coffee is better there other stuff is not. 

It seems like they have a better lineup of food in there sandwich types and soups chilli deals that are less expensive and healthier. Healthier, not necessarily healthy. 

MacDonald's isn't fit for consumption.  Always feel sick after I eat there good and my energy level goes down .  

not sure why you might assume

that i patronize macdonalds instead

i don't

not sure why i would line up and have to wait for timmy

for any reason at all

i do not do line ups

never understood why people do

my view is

you want my money

come get it quick

otherwise i don't believe you

and will leave your business

11 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Update:  I am back on home soil, flew back early yesterday.

Going through customs I was asked if I was feeling well and handed this paper. That was all the screening I went through.

mind you, I was coming from a low risk area.

435E8FCE-4564-4C14-9BA6-5EFB303E5CEA.jpeg

Thanks for the update. 

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We just use cloth diapers and cloth wipes for our kids. As for me and the wife? We’ve been thinking about getting a bidet anyway. We’re not worried about toilet paper at all. 

Haven’t seen the milk supply let up in our area, yet. Certainly a little bit of a concern with our 11 month old, but I’m also not worried about it. 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Incorrect 

the policy is in fact a corporate policy 

nice try

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/boycottTimHortons?src=hashtag_click

There's nothing wrong with having a sick leave policy. Once COVID-19 happened they have been apparently working with franchises to follow public health advice during this emergency. 

Honesty, believe them or don't, but it sounds to me like they're trying to do the right thing. 

1 minute ago, Monty said:

We just use cloth diapers and cloth wipes for our kids. As for me and the wife? We’ve been thinking about getting a bidet anyway. We’re not worried about toilet paper at all. 

Haven’t seen the milk supply let up in our area, yet. Certainly a little bit of a concern with our 11 month old, but I’m also not worried about it. 

Just to note I live in ontario. People lost their minds after the schools shut down.

Which in reality the 3 weeks is only 4 days when it comes down to it. 

1 week is march break.

Leaving 2 weeks.

Teachers are on rotating strikes. Most kids have only been going to school 2-3 days.

So max it shut down for 6 days....