CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Has anyone taken transit (bus or Skytrain) in the last couple of days? What kinds of crowds should I be expecting next week? I have had a cough for the last several days (but no fever). Most likely a minor cold. Thinking I may stay home tomorrow, e-mail my boss, explain my cough and ask her what she wants me to do. My job security is safe, so if I need to stay home, I do. 

Suggestions? Should I just stay home for the next week? Or do I take my chances on the Skytrain to and from work each day? This is my dilemma. Am I expected to go on with life until I get this thing? Or should I protect myself and others by staying away from people?

This is life changing, people will act differently from now on I think. Simple things like shaking hands or giving someone a hug. Things changed already with social media and people not being able to communicate as well as they used to, but now this divides people even more.  

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Has anyone taken transit (bus or Skytrain) in the last couple of days? What kinds of crowds should I be expecting next week? I have had a cough for the last several days (but no fever). Most likely a minor cold. Thinking I may stay home tomorrow, e-mail my boss, explain my cough and ask her what she wants me to do. My job security is safe, so if I need to stay home, I do. 

Suggestions? Should I just stay home for the next week? Or do I take my chances on the Skytrain to and from work each day? This is my dilemma. Am I expected to go on with life until I get this thing? Or should I protect myself and others by staying away from people?

This is life changing, people will act differently from now on I think. Simple things like shaking hands or giving someone a hug. Things changed already with social media and people not being able to communicate as well as they used to, but now this divides people even more.  

I'd stay home, Why risk it?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

100% stay home! Again...also about stopping spread / others. 

Edited by IRR
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Monty said:

We just use cloth diapers and cloth wipes for our kids. As for me and the wife? We’ve been thinking about getting a bidet anyway. We’re not worried about toilet paper at all. 

Haven’t seen the milk supply let up in our area, yet. Certainly a little bit of a concern with our 11 month old, but I’m also not worried about it. 

I don't get the TP thing at all.

I'll jump in the shower or run my butt on the lawn if needed.

Clean water, rice, beans, and alcohol all must haves. If there is complete mayhem I'm not staying sober.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't get the TP thing at all.

I'll jump in the shower or run my butt on the lawn if needed.

Clean water, rice, beans, and alcohol all must haves. If there is complete mayhem I'm not staying sober.

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks IRR and nux, I'll stay home tomorrow, and will until the cough is completely gone. No point taking stupid risks, just to try and impress a boss who hates me anyway lol The world is changing and things have shut down. Just the way it is right now.  

Good call. Your boss might not appreciate it, but a few billion other people do. Cheers. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thanks IRR and nux, I'll stay home tomorrow, and will until the cough is completely gone. No point taking stupid risks, just to try and impress a boss who hates me anyway lol The world is changing and things have shut down. Just the way it is right now.  

Good call, nucker.  We thank you for a responsible decision.

My boss returned from a trip to Italy (that spanned from mid December to mid January).  

Has a cough but had it when he left.  Feels that's reason enough to "not worry about it".  I worry about it - he coughed in my direction without covering his mouth the other day...needless to say, that did not go over well.  I am Lysoling everything, all day long.  Built up a plant barrier on the reception counter so people can't breath down at my (reception) desk as they normally would.  Have basically built a keep out fortress.

The world is changing and anyone not supporting the changes is an idiot and selfish.  We HAVE to think beyond ourselves to "what is right" in all of this.  Not what is right for us.  That includes bosses - sure, business has to go on and not every job promises the luxury of "work from home".  But we still can take steps to reduce the risk.  And it's an employer's responsibility to lead the charge in that.  Have back up staff ready to go or be prepared to do without some staff for a bit.  Has to be.

• Hydration 3

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I found out we get TLC. Apparently tv broadcasts non sporting shows?

• Haha 3

I hope you all are doing well. We are in uncharted territory here. I truly hope that Italy and Spain are able to get the spread under control. How horrific. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hope you all are doing well. We are in uncharted territory here. I truly hope that Italy and Spain are able to get the spread under control. How horrific. 

You too, PB.  We're all in this crazy cesspool of a world together...maybe, in the end, some good will come out of this in that we start thinking about our actions and how can all be "better".  Including me.  That's, in no way, overlooking the tragic outcome for some in this...just that their lives should not be in vain and we should take away what we can from this.  As we stumble through the motions together.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Waking up every day and seeing the updated death toll in Italy is terrifying.

You got that right. And many people around the world still aren’t taking this seriously. It’s mind boggling 

Edited by Petey40
  • Thanks 2

Very scary times in Italy, filled my heart to see those on the balconies, singing and playing music. Being together, but apart. :(

• Like 3

Bought a thermometer in Save On the other day.  Didn't work.  Clerk said "yeah, most of those don't...they're all being returned.  Probably won't restock them again".  

Sigh

Will not go out "seeking" another as I'm really only going out IF/WHEN there's dire reason to.  But would be nice to have one to monitor things.  Everyone should as fever's a telltale sign.  I mean, it's allergy season so there are some similar symptoms to that and it's hard to know if/when there's a potential issue.  Stay on the safe side...if in doubt, don't go out.  Or, better yet, just don't go out....

• Thanks 1

Don't be patient 31: https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-SOUTHKOREA-CLUSTERS/0100B5G33SB/index.html

Patient 31

It’s not clear where Patient 31 became infected with the virus, but in the days before her diagnosis, she travelled to crowded spots in Daegu, as well as in the capital Seoul. On February 6 she was in a minor traffic accident in Daegu, and checked herself into an Oriental medicine hospital. While at that hospital, she attended services at the Daegu branch of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, on February 9 and again on February 16.

In between those visits, on February 15, doctors at the hospital said they first suggested she be tested for the coronavirus, as she had a high fever. Instead, the woman went to a buffet lunch with a friend at a hotel. In an interview with local newspaper JoongAng Ilbo, the woman denied that doctors had advised her to be tested. As her symptoms worsened, however, doctors say they once again advised her to be tested. On February 17, she finally went to another hospital for the test. The next day, health authorities announced she was the country’s 31st confirmed case. In only a matter of days, those numbers had soared as hundreds of people at the Shincheonji Church and surrounding areas tested positive.

Almost all major cities and provinces have now reported some infections. However, Daegu, where the church is located, and nearby Gyeongbuk, where the hospital is located, have by far the most cases. Seoul, a metropolitan area of more than 25 million people, has only a small portion.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1