CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:
The mini-scandal of the weekend is what's unfolding at US airports. Late last week Trump ordered:
  1. Ban on European flights
  2. Returning flights from Europe can only come to 13 US airports
The unintended consequence was a massive surge into US airports this weekend with people from all over Europe crammed into lineups and confined spaces -- some for as many as 10 hours.

Forexlive Image View

Trump is a buffoon. 

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Not a Timmy fan because of the quality of their product and frankly the service. It is like they defy you to deal with them. But  Starbucks isn’t much dif. 

Having been in in the service industry the operators are faced with certain realities. Staff turnover is high virus or not. Unpaid sick leave is probably not an issue. It is how do they open the doors with enough staff to operate. How many of their staff will work whether sick or not because they need the paycheque? Next time you go to one of these sites do a head count behind the counter. Operators usually try to give staff as many hours as possible so staff can earn enough money. Lessening hours and hiring more people would give more flexibility to their business. Top that with difficulty in finding new hires. There is a reason why you see so many Filipinos working there. They are willing to work when many are not. 

A tough situation.

I go to Timmy's every morning I work. Get a tea and egg bites. The employees are always friendly and provide very good service.

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

How dare you post something rational.

when-you-get-new-shoes.gif.91c8f8f375624b36e4ce3bbe4e9c4a53.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Nope 

Not overriding their policy to not pay employees on sick days 

Boycott Tim’s 

crap coffee, crap company 

You need to stop drinking so much McDonald's coffee and calm down a little. This public health emergency is unprecedented and takes a little time to figure out, especially with how fast the situation is evolving by the day. Tim Horton's has publicly said they're “working hard to do the right thing for the communities we live and work in.” Maybe give them some time to sort this out.

Your knee-jerk - dare I say, virtue signalling - reaction is a little much. You said your peace, which is your right, but maybe stick to Twitter and keep it out of here for the rest of us. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Trump is a buffoon. 

this is why you don't make rash decisions on travel bans. Just look at that herd. Jesus.

Canada's made a smart move by channeling flights through major centres so we can make sure people are either tested or get the info they need to keep others safe and not produce scenes like this, as much as possible. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I"m bummed about the local mountains closing, I love going to Cypress its the thing my wife and i love to do most (in public). But its a pretty small price to pay to help keep people safe. 

I hope Netflix doesn't crash :lol:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:
The mini-scandal of the weekend is what's unfolding at US airports. Late last week Trump ordered:
  1. Ban on European flights
  2. Returning flights from Europe can only come to 13 US airports
The unintended consequence was a massive surge into US airports this weekend with people from all over Europe crammed into lineups and confined spaces -- some for as many as 10 hours.

Forexlive Image View

I can guarantee this is not what health officials recommended...

This is the opposite of solving the problem.

All those people will need to be quarantined if even one person has it. And it’s not just for 14 days because different people will contract it at different times.

What a mess.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3

22 minutes ago, Russ said:

Do you expect every company in the country to change their policy and pay for everyone to have sick days?  My work will just say apply for medical EI or EI if they shut down.  Every landscaper I know and every person I know in construction will have the same response with their companies just shutting down and saying to go on EI and not paying the employees sick days.  Theres not a lot of employers who actually pay you when you are sick.

Realize that but those companies don’t play in the the public image field and when you are in that arena it cuts both ways 

fact of life in the connected world, like it or not 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You need to stop drinking so much McDonald's coffee and calm down a little. This public health emergency is unprecedented and takes a little time to figure out, especially with how fast the situation is evolving by the day. Tim Horton's has publicly said they're “working hard to do the right thing for the communities we live and work in.” Maybe give them some time to sort this out.

Your knee-jerk - dare I say, virtue signalling - reaction is a little much. You said your peace, which is your right, but maybe stick to Twitter and keep it out of here for the rest of us. 

You think you speak this forum champ? 

You keep “drinking” what Tims is selling you 

they love people like you 

Edited by canuck2288

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I can guarantee this is not what health officials recommended...

This is the opposite of solving the problem.

All those people will need to be quarantined if even one person has it. And it’s not just for 14 days because different people will contract it at different times.

What a mess.

there's no way to check the contacts that those people have had, its in the 10's of thousands. You're just going to have to assume community transmission now for wherever they're going. 

hopefully they are smart enough to self-quarantine. But you know, this is Obama's fault anyway :picard:

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Federal Reserve acts on a Sunday evening to slash rates to near zero

Sun 15 Mar 2020 21:01:02 GMT

Federal Open Market Committee 

• cut interest rates for the second time in less than two weeks
  • emergency move
  • "The effects of the coronavirus will weigh on economic activity in the near term and pose risks to the economic outlook. In light of these developments, the Committee decided to lower the target range
  • The Committee expects to maintain this target range until it is confident that the economy has weathered recent events and is on track to achieve its maximum employment and price stability goals"

Headlines via Reuters:
  • fed cuts interest rates to near zero in response to coronavirus crisis, risks to economic outlook
  • says expects target interest rate will remain in range of 0 and 0.25% until economy has "weathered recent events" and is on track to meet inflation and employment goals
  • says crisis has "harmed communities and disrupted economic activity" in u.s. and other countries, will weigh on activity in the near term
  • says will use "full range of tools" to support economy, will expand holdings of treasury securities by $500 bln and mortgage backed securities by $200 bln in coming months
  • vote on policy action was 9 to 1, with Cleveland fed president Loretta Mester preferring a smaller interest rate cut
  • Fed announces coordinated action with bank of Canada, bank of England, bank of Japan, European central bank and Swiss national bank
  • Fed says six global central banks have agreed to lower pricing on u.s. dollar liquidity swap arrangements by 25 bps
  • says changes to central bank swap lines will take effect week of march 16
  • Fed and other global central banks will begin offering u.s. dollar liquidity in each jurisdiction with 84-day maturity
  • Fed says it will lower the primary credit rate by 150 basis points to 0.25 percent, effective march 16
  • Fed says it supports firms that choose to use their capital and liquidity buffers to lend and undertake other supportive actions in a safe and sound manner
  • says that depository institutions may borrow from the discount window for periods as long as 90 days, prepayable and renewable by the borrower on a daily basis
  • says reducing reserve requirement ratios to zero percent effective on march 26
  • says encourages depository institutions to utilize intraday credit extended by reserve banks, on both a collateralized and uncollateralized basis

Absolutely massive movement. Announcing this 1 hr before futures markets open. lol
Edited by nuckin_futz

58 minutes ago, totallyserious2233 said:

Is anybody else low-key routing for the virus? I could use some time off.

Bruhhh, they want me to work overtime from home. Good thing is I’ll get paid!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I"m bummed about the local mountains closing, I love going to Cypress its the thing my wife and i love to do most (in public). But its a pretty small price to pay to help keep people safe. 

Nakiska still open

Tentative plans to go Tuesday

I suppose this wasn’t the greatest time to start watching the Netflix original Pandemic but here we are..

• Hydration 1

Just now, Petey40 said:

I suppose this wasn’t the greatest time to start watching the Netflix original Pandemic but here we are..

let me know how we do  lol

Just now, Shift-4 said:

Contagion - 2011

If you really want to know.

:bigblush:

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

So far everything is happening exactly as scientists have been predicting 

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Smart move.

Gov. Pritzker Announces Closure Of All Illinois Bars And Restaurants Effective Monday Due To Coronavirus Crisis

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/03/15/gov-pritzker-announces-closure-of-all-illinois-bars-and-restaurants-effective-monday-due-to-coronavirus-crisis/

I can see reducing the number of cases, so the medical people can handle the amount.  But maybe we should allow mother nature to do what she’s doing, and not get in the way?  

• Confused 2

32 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

You think you speak this forum champ? 

You keep “drinking” what Tims is selling you 

they love people like you 

And what exactly kind of person am I that Tim Horton's loves? 

Listen, people of all industry and backgrounds will experience some unpaid time off from their employer, which is is why they - potentially my wife included - will have to go through EI to recoup some of their losses, which is exactly what another poster has said to you. 

Tim Horton's is in the process of doing their part. Maybe just give it longer than a couple of days to work out, as they just said publicly yesterday that they're working with 1500 franchises. 

This instant callout gratification reminds me of UVic students petitioning for classes to be cancelled as soon as things started getting real bad, and they cried foul before the university even had a chance to respond accordingly.

Top-level concern and action takes longer than it does to click Tweet. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2