CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

36 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I saw an article the other day that basically said "China bought the West time.  The West squandered it." 

The arrogance of the West is a serious issue right now.  The mentality of 'oh, it won't happen to us' is why we're all still headed to the same place as China.  Why none of us closed borders way sooner (and we still haven't) is beyond me.  We still don't have mandatory screening at the airports!  Somehow Trudeau and Co. think we've got this figured out when our trajectory and many other Western countries are going down the exact same path.  It took 10 days for Spain to go from 170 cases to 5000+.  By the end of this month, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Canada has 10,000+ cases.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I saw an article the other day that basically said "China bought the West time.  The West squandered it." 

The arrogance of the West is a serious issue right now.  The mentality of 'oh, it won't happen to us' is why we're all still headed to the same place as China.  Why none of us closed borders way sooner (and we still haven't) is beyond me.  We still don't have mandatory screening at the airports!  Somehow Trudeau and Co. think we've got this figured out when our trajectory and many other Western countries are going down the exact same path.  It took 10 days for Spain to go from 170 cases to 5000+.  By the end of this month, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Canada has 10,000+ cases.

Again, and this is important.  The government is listening to their medical experts.  Almost all governments outside of the UK and US are.  Blaming politicians for listening to experts is just kind of foolish at this point.  especially when the virus was already in the nation by the time anyone reacted

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Not sure if this has been posted but a Canadian lab has replicated the coronavirus which is the first step in creating a vaccine.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/canadian-scientists-make-breakthrough-in-coronavirus-vaccine-effort/

thats great, that might lead to better symptom treatments very soon. The University of Saskatchewan also has a vaccine now in testing phase, that one will take at least a year tho. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats great, that might lead to better symptom treatments very soon. The University of Saskatchewan also has a vaccine now in testing phase, that one will take at least a year tho. 

I want to know who will own rights to that vaccine, that's where I am putting my money short term.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Again, and this is important.  The government is listening to their medical experts.  Almost all governments outside of the UK and US are.  Blaming politicians for listening to experts is just kind of foolish at this point.  especially when the virus was already in the nation by the time anyone reacted

Make no mistake.  I work in a senior capacity with a government sector that is extremely political.  If it is anything like the meetings we have, what is likely happening is you have medical officers on one side of the table, and economic and business advisors on the other side.  Trudeau is in the middle and is finding middle ground to appease both sides.  I find it highly unlikely that medical professionals in speaking to their colleagues around the world would recommend to keep borders open and just tell people to self isolate for 14 days given the projected trajectories of this pandemic.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

man thats an interesting graph. Canada's efforts will certainly be obvious in comparison tho those. I suspect we slide above Japan a little but we'll just have to wait and see. 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I want to know who will own rights to that vaccine, that's where I am putting my money short term.

I know a guy at the SK UILO, I can ask :lol: I suspect its going to be widely dispersed among many companies. 

Work from home policy in place for me. Not sure yet if I absolutely have to work from home.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Make no mistake.  I work in a senior capacity with a government sector that is extremely political.  If it is anything like the meetings we have, what is likely happening is you have medical officers on one side of the table, and economic and business advisors on the other side.  Trudeau is in the middle and is finding middle ground to appease both sides.  I find it highly unlikely that medical professionals in speaking to their colleagues around the world would recommend to keep borders open and just tell people to self isolate for 14 days given the projected trajectories of this pandemic.

it would be fascinating to be in the room right now. There seems to be some good leadership from major companies right now, e.g., LUSH is voluntarily shutting down along with a lot of other big companies so I don't know that there will be as much of a battle between health officials and business as one might expect. 

7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Work from home policy in place for me. Not sure yet if I absolutely have to work from home.

What type of environment do you work in? 

I'm in an office. About 100 people. Management had a meeting about this Friday but so far we've heard absolutely nothing. My associate is kind of pissed about that. It makes me wonder if they're just going to have us keep on coming in and keep it business as usual for as long as possible

26 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

yeah

i guess that war still has not ended

Well in a sense, you can conceptually consider the seeds of WWII starting from WWI’s aftermath.  Not to mention the ****show in the a Middle East right now is as a result of the colonial powers redrawing the map after WWI.  WWI....a useless war that not only wasted the lives of millions of people but set the stages for future conflicts all to protect the interests of a few countries trying to slice up more pieces of the pie for themselves.

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be fascinating to be in the room right now. There seems to be some good leadership from major companies right now, e.g., LUSH is voluntarily shutting down along with a lot of other big companies so I don't know that there will be as much of a battle between health officials and business as one might expect. 

Taken from News 1130:

"Asked again “Why not shut down our borders?” Tam repeats that has not been effective in the past and the movement of goods needs to continue."

The second part of Tam's response tells you exactly what is happening in that room.  Perhaps she may honestly feel that shutting borders has not been effective in the past, but there is no way that Tam is the one at the table stating that the movement of goods needs to continue.

Also posted in music thread...

In honour of greatest global crisis of my lifetime

• Hydration 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well, it is a fine line to walk for any political leader. You want to rely on the best available science to protect people WITHOUT causing mass panic and the worst impulses of the greedy and selfish. On the other hand Trump just this morning said the US has this under tremendous control, even as the numbers climb by the day. Boris Johnson is saying it's no big deal, people will get sick, deal with it. And Mexican president Lopez Obrador says it's a myth and we shouldn't stop hugging each other. On balance I'd say Trudeau is doing okay. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/technology/matt-colvin-hand-sanitizer-donation.html

Good on him for donating all the hand sanitizers. Price gouging was obviously the wrong route for him to go, even though he’s been buying and reselling things on Amazon for 10 years, now. During an emergency, not the best thing.

However, people sending him death threats and banging on his door in the middle of the night is absolutely uncalled for. Guy made a mistake and by donating all of it now, I’d say he made the appropriate decision, rather than even trying to sell them at the cost he purchased them for.

This message someone sent him shows just how awful people truly can become:

“Your behavior is probably going to end up with someone killing you and your wife and your children.”

Ok Karen.

• Hydration 1

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'm in an office. About 100 people. Management had a meeting about this Friday but so far we've heard absolutely nothing. My associate is kind of pissed about that. It makes me wonder if they're just going to have us keep on coming in and keep it business as usual for as long as possible

Best of luck, heard a lot of people have been going into work and finding out they’ve been laid off. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Financial services. Including IT for financial services.

I, personally, have been able to work from home for years.

Over 100 people in our office. Over 400 people in our organization(s) across the prairies.

Edited by Shift-4

1 minute ago, Monty said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/technology/matt-colvin-hand-sanitizer-donation.html

Good on him for donating all the hand sanitizers. Price gouging was obviously the wrong route for him to go, even though he’s been buying and reselling things on Amazon for 10 years, now. During an emergency, not the best thing.

However, people sending him death threats and banging on his door in the middle of the night is absolutely uncalled for. Guy made a mistake and by donating all of it now, I’d say he made the appropriate decision, rather than even trying to sell them at the cost he purchased them for.

This message someone sent him shows just how awful people truly can become:

Ok Karen.

Their was another article saying he went MIA and didn’t donate, so Tennessee Gov basically raided his storage unit. 

Not sure what’s true or not or timelines of stories.

• Hydration 1

Wow, Boris Johnson.

Good for you.

@Scottish⑦Canuck is this true?  Is he really going to let the demographic that put him in power, the 50+ crowd just be exposed to this?

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/insane-uk-plan-to-let-covid-19-spread-might-kill-half-a-million-people-expert/ar-BB11dQv0?ocid=spartanntp&fbclid=IwAR2xQ3a7wzQSeUjppW5if0rByLrr_5EDOYoYUjQpnaSiMbvpTjVvo9B4XoE

The department I work in contacted employees at home last night and told us to stay home today. Only essential services need to continue working for now. In my 32 years I've never been told to stay home. I guess they'll be updating me as this goes on. The world is shutting down. Kind of feels like the beginning of an apocalypse.