CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I think that was more related to the large McDonald's milkshake I drank. It just exacerbated those other symptoms like the fever and chest pain. 

Now I know my limit is a medium milkshake.

lol

Take care my friend

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lucky for Putin Russia doesn't have any covid problems, eh? :rolleyes:

hopefully the market just stabilizes while we all wait. 

I think we're about at the point to let that go JM.  Society as we know it is pretty much in the past.  Start thinking about surviving the next two years at this point

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think we're about at the point to let that go JM.  Society as we know it is pretty much in the past.  Start thinking about surviving the next two years at this point

Typical Canuckluck...just when the team has looked liked it’s about to turn the corner to respectability.....the whole worlds gone to ****.  I blame Gillis.:P

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder why Canada is taking such a gradual approach? Maybe to keep the shock and fear to the general public under control? 

You would think they knew how serious this was 2 or even 3 days ago but have decided to gradually implement the measures. We’re slowing moving toward full lockdown IMO.

Nice to see a joint agreement on the the so called “pointless border closure” lol 

Edited by Petey40
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Petey40 said:

I wonder why Canada is taking such a gradual approach? Maybe to keep the shock and fear to the general public under control? 

You would think they knew how serious this was 2 or even 3 days ago but have decided to gradually implement the measures. We’re slowing moving toward full lockdown. 

Nice to see a joint agreement on the the so called “pointless border closure” lol 

It's more on the provinces than the federal govt, though their inaction on the border is terrible.

Alberta has taken the right approach, BC has not.

Just now, stawns said:

It's more on the provinces than the federal govt, though their inaction on the border is terrible.

Alberta has taken the right approach, BC has not.

Yeah that’s true, BC is ahead of Alberta in cases and deaths and behind in containment measures :picard:

Ontario and Alberta are doing a pretty good job I’d say.

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

What types of produce do you recommend for the garden? 

Can' you offer advice on what is easy to grow?

Gotta get on this learning curve asap;. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a fart in the wind.  The fact that were not shutting things down, that were still congregating in places dwarfs that.  

It seems strange to me how a couple of you are saying well it's not that many people crossing the border from the US now illegal border crossings anyone extra would be a risk. All of you that were saying we don't need to close the border to non-essential travel suddenly I don't hear nothing from you guys today.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Image result for ha gay gif

Disclaimer: I say this in jest.

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

It seems strange to me how a couple of you are saying well it's not that many people crossing the border from the US now illegal border crossings anyone extra would be a risk. All of you that were saying we don't need to close the border to non-essential travel suddenly I don't hear nothing from you guys today.

Where did I say that?  I said 10 days ago everything needed to be shutdown

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Beans

Potatoes

Peas

Garlic

Tomatoes

Lettuce/chard

Cabbage

Carrots

Squash

Onions

Corn

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

You would think they knew how serious this was 2 or even 3 days ago but have decided to gradually implement the measures. We’re slowing moving toward full lockdown IMO.

I think they would need to implement something like the war measures act, so they could suspend everyone's freedom and rights.

That is a huge move. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Where did I say that?  I said 10 days ago everything needed to be shutdown

Sorry I'm talking into my phone I didn't mean to insinuate you I just mean the people that are saying those people are drop in the bucket these people are drop in the bucket people over there are not a big deal we need to look at the bigger picture in fact in my opinion we need to look at the whole picture.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Just now, stawns said:

Beans

Potatoes

Peas

Garlic

Tomatoes

Lettuce/chard

Cabbage

Carrots

Squash

Onions

Corn

Going out today to buy seeds. We're on a couple acres. Have 2 apple and 2 pear tress, gonna talk to my sister about a couple of her chickens.

Thanks,

• Hydration 1

Interesting article

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/when-will-china-be-held-accountable-for-coronavirus/

Spoiler

When will the Chinese government be held accountable for the spread of coronavirus?

Marcus Kolga: Canada will have to work with our allies to assess the Chinese government’s responsibility when it comes to the spread of coronavirus and to ensure that they are held to account where appropriate

By Marcus Kolga

Marcus Kolga is a strategic digital communications strategist, human rights activist and expert on foreign disinformation. He is a senior fellow at the Macdonald-Laurier Institute’s Centre of Advancing Canadian Interests Abroad.

On Sunday night, the two remaining Democratic Presidential candidates, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, entered a sparse CNN studio for a one-on-one debate, in which the venue, context, and substances were all unsurprisingly hijacked by the coronavirus pandemic. Among the top issues were how millions of Americans would endure economic stresses caused by the outbreak and what the United States government should do to overcome it, especially with the projected costs running into the trillions of dollars.

One of the debate’s most interesting moments came when CNN reporter Dana Bash asked the two candidates: “What consequences should China face for its role in this global crisis?”

Responsibility is exactly what the Chinese Communist Party government has been avoiding since the initial outbreak in Wuhan. Most notably, Dr. Li Wenliang raised concerns about the virus in December and was in turn detained by Chinese authorities and forced to sign a confession of making “false comments” and disturbing “the social order.” The virus would eventually take his life in February.

MORE: Watch China build two enormous Wuhan hospitals at a breakneck pace

While Bernie Sanders might be forgiven for naively blurting out that “now is the time to be working with China,” the Chinese government has offered little evidence to suggest that closer cooperation would lead to a solution. Conversely, Beijing’s mishandling and negligence has directly enabled the spread of this pandemic.

China’s primary motivation throughout has been to avoid any responsibility or accountability by deflecting blame and suppressing criticism since day one. So effective has the Chinese campaign been that even foreign governments (including here in Canada) have remained largely silent about China’s role. The instinct of any totalitarian state like China is to cover up anything that might require them to take responsibility. 

During the initial coronavirus outbreak, authorities in Wuhan stated that there was “no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission.” Yet, as first noted in a January study in The Lancet, more than a third of patients had no connections to the Wuhan food market, and people started to become ill weeks before the government would admit. 

MORE: Canada is being bullied by China. Here’s how it can shut it down.

But the obfuscation goes deeper. Instead of informing its own people and the world, about the threat early on, the Chinese government contributed directly to the global pandemic we face today through politically motivated manipulation and active disinformation. By lying about the virus’s initial spread, including by not acknowledging human-to-human transmission when it was quite clearly happening, and by prioritizing political stability over human health, China’s actions directly led to the massive spread of the virus.

The first case of the virus likely occurred in mid-November, 2019. While identifying a novel virus of course takes time, Taiwan identified the outbreak and banned flights from Hubei before the end of 2019. By comparison, before China finally acknowledged the gravity of the situation in late January, some five million people left Hubei, allowing the disease to spread throughout China and the world.  

To put a finer point on this: had China acted when Taiwan took action (when it was already apparent that a crisis was upon Wuhan),  the spread of the virus could have been reduced by some 95 per cent. While it is also true that many Western countries are failing in tragic fashion, thousands of lives, in China and around the world, would have been saved had China put aside its politics and acted swiftly. 

Chinese authorities had this information and data but refused to release it in a timely manner, instead preferring an ever-changing narrative about the outbreak that made medical assessments on the coronavirus and its impact very difficult. Crucial weeks were lost that could have helped to contain the country-wide and later global spread of this virus. 

Most recently, Chinese government propagandists have promoted a bizarre story about the outbreak in Wuhan being caused by the United States Army. This latest conspiracy, reported by Eto Buziashvili of the Atlantic Council, is seemingly inspired by the KGB’s Operation Infektion from the 1980s, which involved the KGB planting a story in a pro-Kremlin newspaper in India where it was claimed that HIV/AIDS was developed in a CIA laboratory in Fort Detrick, Maryland. The Russian disinformation campaign eventually metastasized within the U.S. media environment, eventually reaching mainstream U.S. national news in 1983.

Buziashvili reports that stories about the U.S. army introducing coronavirus in Wuhan were planted on pro-Kremlin platforms in January, and have since spread to fringe western pro-totalitarian conspiracy theory platforms, including one based in Montreal.  Those stories have since been amplified by Chinese government officials, including Zhao Lijian (the deputy director of Foreign Ministry Information Department) who posted it on Twitter, and further promoted by the Chinese Communist Party controlled social media platform, WeChat.

Such aggressive Chinese government disinformation about the coronavirus is being deliberately promoted to draw attention away from Beijing’s own responsibility for the global pandemic.

While Western governments must maintain their focus on addressing the immediate outbreak, we cannot allow the Chinese government to confuse and reframe our understanding of this pandemic and to manipulate the eventual reckoning that must occur once the threat ebbs.

The cost to overcome this pandemic crisis will be steep, regardless of the physical toll it imposes on our nation. In the coming months, Canada will have to work with our allies to assess the Chinese government’s responsibility and ensure that they are held to account where appropriate. This should include compensation for economic losses by Canadian workers, businesses and our government, and economic sanctions against any Chinese officials deemed negligent in failing to stop the outbreak in China.

Canadians, media and our government must continue repeating Dana Bash’s question, “what consequences should China face for its role in this global crisis?”

MORE ABOUT CHINA:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You better have an electric fence around your garden.

I have a plot in a community garden that has a locked chain link fence around it, but it’s only about 4’ high.  
I have had success in growing green bush beans, potatoes, onions, carrots, romaine lettuce (started from seedlings), beets, 

E952E98B-986C-4BBE-8CB5-830084E08440.jpeg

312C65B4-7726-4694-A618-FC2C77C3304B.jpeg

Edited by redhdlois
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think they would need to implement something like the war measures act, so they could suspend everyone's freedom and rights.

That is a huge move. 

Yeah man it’s going to be a really interesting week, they might have no choice but to do something like that for the good of public health and safety.