CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Lot of panic and doomsday stuff in here, understandable.

Vaccine may be 18-24 months away.  Real human trials started in the US on monday.

But Vaccine is not the only solution.  CEO of Merck was on a couple hours ago.  Every pharmaceutical company and biomed outfit (assuing world wide) is testing existing anti viral drugs (and other drugs) against this virus.  These drugs have already been shown to be relatively safe and are approved for other uses.

I suspect that they (science) will find some way to mitigate/manage this (effectively) until the Vaccine comes out.  It might take a few months though.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

2648 new cases in Italy today, 475 new deaths today the single worst day yet :(

Edit: I was wrong, it’s actually 4207 new cases. 

Edited by Petey40

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

When will people realize that Alf is a deliberately obtuse troll? The village idiot shtick isn’t cute, funny, or endearing. 

I’ve got him on ignore but he’s so dam active that he shows up everywhere with people quoting him. 

Same exact problem. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Vaccine may be 18-24 months away.  Real human trials started in the US on monday.

But Vaccine is not the only solution.  CEO of Merck was on a couple hours ago.  Every pharmaceutical company and biomed outfit (assuing world wide) is testing existing anti viral drugs (and other drugs) against this virus.  These drugs have already been shown to be relatively safe and are approved for other uses.

I suspect that they (science) will find some way to mitigate/manage this (effectively) until the Vaccine comes out.  It might take a few months though.

Who volunteers for that? Unless you're going to die anyway. I'd be worried about my skin falling off or developing some cancerous tumor. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That is the way they can take away everybody's Rights and Freedoms. I know it sounds easy enough to do but that is a huge move for the government that would have lasting consequences.

So does a virus decimating the population.  This isnt a time for the "eff you government, I'll do what I want" garbage.  If martial law (I'm using that term, though I know it's not Canadian, but something we understand), then I expect Canadians will understand that it's for the greater good and hold together.

• Burr 1

Mandatory vaccines....police state.....I will be moving into the bush somewhere.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Trying to imagine hockey with Social Distancing. Instead of hitting, the challenge is to stay at least 6 feet away from ALL the other players on the Ice!

:)

Image result for table hockey

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

2648 new cases in Italy today, 475 new deaths today the single worst day yet :(

Last night in Kelowna they had 5 acute pneumonia cases and 1 overdose come in.  They've got 6 ventilators

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

Who volunteers for that? Unless you're going to die anyway. I'd be worried about my skin falling off or developing some cancerous tumor. 

you mean the vaccine?  I was thinking the same thing.  They do have a bunch of volunteers.

https://q13fox.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-vaccine-test-opens-as-volunteer-in-seattle-gets-1st-shot/

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

There are medications we can get over the counter that can manage symptoms, for sure.  But a large chunk of the population will be beyond that.

Isolation and quarantine until there's a vaccine are, really, the only chance

1 minute ago, stawns said:

So does a virus decimating the population.  This isnt a time for the "eff you government, I'll do what I want" garbage.  If martial law (I'm using that term, though I know it's not Canadian, but something we understand), then I expect Canadians will understand that it's for the greater good and hold together.

Justin's dad had the balls to invoke the War Measures Act.  Not sure Junior has the same.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

My fellow Albertan..:picard:

FB_IMG_1584551300707.jpg

I'm guessing that paper bag is left over from the Oilers of a few years ago....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we weren’t vaccinated against the current flu strains the high risk groups would suffer same as now.  It’s extremely important people get a flu shot.  It protects those at highest risk.  Remember this virus creates carriers who have no symptoms, or very mild symptoms. Those people can then infect people who are at high risk.  The flu vaccination keeps us all safer.  Those who are healthy, but refuse to get flu shots, are being selfish.  

I mean the flu shot is great and all but it will do nothing against this virus. When we get a vaccine for this virus inevitably another virus will surface that we have nothing for. A couple US based companies are actually working on a universal vaccine, how they can accomplish this with so many unknown viruses out there I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying what you just suggested. What I'm saying is if the government had to implement the war measures Act or martial law or whatever we want to call it that is a massive massive decision that will have lasting consequences. You may not see that now or understand it but it's fact it is something that cannot be taken lightly. I'm not giving my opinion I'm just telling you why that would be a tough measure for government because the government would have to take away everyone's Rights and Freedoms that would not be forgotten for a long time.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm guessing that paper bag is left over from the Oilers of a few years ago....

What shocks me the most about that picture is the cashier at Co-op doesn't even look stunned or surprised by him LOL

Just now, stawns said:

There are medications we can get over the counter that can manage symptoms, for sure.  But a large chunk of the population will be beyond that.

Isolation and quarantine until there's a vaccine are, really, the only chance

this isnt over the counter stuff they are talking about Stawns.  These are anti viral meds some known since WWII that are being used to help resolve the disease in people.  I was reading that a bunch of studies are going to be published in the coming weeks with promising results.

There may not be a cure till the vaccine comes out but the biomeds/pharmaceutical orgs/companies are working overtime to see if something in their arsenal will work,

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not saying what you just suggested. What I'm saying is if the government had to implement the war measures Act or martial law or whatever we want to call it that is a massive massive decision that will have lasting consequences. You may not see that now or understand it but it's fact it is something that cannot be taken lightly. I'm not giving my opinion I'm just telling you why that would be a tough measure for government because the government would have to take away everyone's Rights and Freedoms that would not be forgotten for a long time.

Trust me, I understand it completely.  I don't think they have any choice at this point.  I fully expect it within two weeks

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

When will people realize that Alf is a deliberately obtuse troll? The village idiot shtick isn’t cute, funny, or endearing. 

I’ve got him on ignore but he’s so dam active that he shows up everywhere with people quoting him. 

Sure, be passive aggressive.  Not getting a flu shot is a selfish choice, because it doesn’t help the herd develop immunity to the flu viruses projected to be around that flu season.  Of course Covid 19 has no vaccine yet.  It’s a new strain.  However, there will (in time, just like many other viruses) be a vaccine.  Then, just like now, there will be people who choose to not get vaccinated.  Their choice to not get the vaccination diminishes the herd immunity.  

The current flu strains we are vaccinated for can be just as lethal to those who are at risk as Covid 19.  This is why people who don’t get flu shots are supposed to wear masks when visiting care homes.  Okay you accomplished your motivation.  Alf is agitated.  Time for a drink.