CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

• alert.png 4207 new cases and 475 new deaths in Italy. 1084 new recoveries were also reported today [source] [source]

• Italy: COVID-19 has infected 2,629 health workers, or 8.3% of the total (more than twice the percentage in China), as of yesterday March 17 [source]. In Bergamo (Lombardy region), 118 out of about 600 family doctors (20%) have been infected, and a 65-year-old doctor has died [source]. Today, a 57-year-old doctor has died: he was the secretary of the Federation of General Practitioners of Lodi [source]. A week ago, a 67-year-old family doctor, president of the Varese Medical Association, had died [source]

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not saying what you just suggested. What I'm saying is if the government had to implement the war measures Act or martial law or whatever we want to call it that is a massive massive decision that will have lasting consequences. You may not see that now or understand it but it's fact it is something that cannot be taken lightly. I'm not giving my opinion I'm just telling you why that would be a tough measure for government because the government would have to take away everyone's Rights and Freedoms that would not be forgotten for a long time.

What are you implying though? 

Of course it's a big decision, this is unprecedented stuff. I still don't get your point though.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

What shocks me the most about that picture is the cashier at Co-op doesn't even look stunned or surprised by him LOL

Yeah... I was thinking it must be in Red Deer....

• Haha 3

Just now, Darius said:

this isnt over the counter stuff they are talking about Stawns.  These are anti viral meds some known since WWII that are being used to help resolve the disease in people.  I was reading that a bunch of studies are going to be published in the coming weeks with promising results.

There may not be a cure till the vaccine comes out but the biomeds/pharmaceutical orgs/companies are working overtime to see if something in their arsenal will work,

I understand that and anything they can do to mitigate symptoms is great, I'm all for it.  However, were not out of this without a vaccine.

• Hydration 1

Just now, stawns said:

Trust me, I understand it completely.  I don't think they have any choice at this point.  I fully expect it within two weeks

I guess that remains to be seen But like I said that will be a huge decision. During peacetime we would no longer be a free country. That is what the Prime Minister would have to Grapple with. The only other time rights were revoked was when his father was prime minister so now even the media would likely have a field day with this.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, stawns said:

I understand that and anything they can do to mitigate symptoms is great, I'm all for it.  However, were not out of this without a vaccine.

yeah i agree, vaccine is the end point in my mind.

EDIT: aside from the colossal economic recovery that will be required

Edited by Darius

1 minute ago, inane said:

Of course it's a big decision, this is unprecedented stuff. I still don't get your point though.

That Justin is no Sulla.:P

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure, be passive aggressive.  Not getting a flu shot is a selfish choice, because it doesn’t help the herd develop immunity to the flu viruses projected to be around that flu season.  Of course Covid 19 has no vaccine yet.  It’s a new strain.  However, there will (in time, just like many other viruses) be a vaccine.  Then, just like now, there will be people who choose to not get vaccinated.  Their choice to not get the vaccination diminishes the herd immunity.  

The current flu strains we are vaccinated for can be just as lethal to those who are at risk as Covid 19.  This is why people who don’t get flu shots are supposed to wear masks when visiting care homes.  Okay you accomplished your motivation.  Alf is agitated.  Time for a drink.  

We hope there will be a vaccine Alf, remember Coronaviruses are notoriously difficult to create a vaccine for and scientists have never been able to create one . Here’s hoping they can do what’s never been done before.

Edited by Petey40
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, inane said:

What I'm saying is the government would need to strip every one of the rights and freedoms to go into a full lockdown. We can easily say that but for a government to do it would be a huge huge move and one that would have lasting ramifications and consequences. Is everyone going to be as accepting as some of us or would there be pure outrage. Whether or not you guys think decisions even around this are political or not they are just look at delaying the Border closure with the United States as an example.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

yeah i agree, vaccine is the end point in my mind.

EDIT: aside from the colossal economic recovery that will be required

Imo, this is the death of the current economic system.  It's built on smoke and mirrors, it won't survive two months of this, let alone two years.

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:
  • alert.png 4207 new cases and 475 new deaths in Italy. 1084 new recoveries were also reported today [source] [source]
  •  
  • Italy: COVID-19 has infected 2,629 health workers, or 8.3% of the total (more than twice the percentage in China), as of yesterday March 17 [source]. In Bergamo (Lombardy region), 118 out of about 600 family doctors (20%) have been infected, and a 65-year-old doctor has died [source]. Today, a 57-year-old doctor has died: he was the secretary of the Federation of General Practitioners of Lodi [source]. A week ago, a 67-year-old family doctor, president of the Varese Medical Association, had died [source]

Unfortunately you can pick up the virus again once 'cured' as is my understanding so the recoveries are almost meaningless. You still can't go out and try to get on with life. 

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:
  •  

My friend has family living over their right now, the things they’re telling me are happening are very grim and sad. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

So does a virus decimating the population.  This isnt a time for the "eff you government, I'll do what I want" garbage.  If martial law (I'm using that term, though I know it's not Canadian, but something we understand), then I expect Canadians will understand that it's for the greater good and hold together.

It’s not decimating the population.  (10% reduction by definition). It’s decimating the highest risk group; the elderly with already poor health.  You should stop posting doom and gloom that scares children and healthy adults.  

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Unfortunately you can pick up the virus again once 'cured' as is my understanding so the recoveries are almost meaningless. You still can't go out and try to get on with life. 

Is that possible?   Do you have a source for that?  

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

What I'm saying is the government would need to strip every one of the rights and freedoms to go into a full lockdown. We can easily say that but for a government to do it would be a huge huge move and one that would have lasting ramifications and consequences. Is everyone going to be as accepting as some of us or would there be pure outrage. Whether or not you guys think decisions even around this are political or not they are just look at delaying the Border closure with the United States as an example.

When we start seeing dead in a thousand or more, which is only a few weeks away, they'll know there's no other option.  The sooner they do it the better.

Luckily, I do believe they will be able to keep utilities, communications etc etc up and running as we are advanced enough to manage much of that.........hopefully.  if we can all still communicate, stay entertained, spend some time outside (though still with social distance) we might come out of this with the core still intact.

I don't see many big consumer corporations surviving this though.......maybe that's not so bad.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No one is denying it would be a big move, but what are you actually trying to say? 

Just say it.

Just now, Alflives said:

It’s not decimating the population.  (10% reduction by definition).

Sure, “decimating” may be a strong use of the word, but 10% isn’t “insignificant”. Should people be concerned? Yes. Should it be a state of panic? No.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Is that possible?   Do you have a source for that?  

I've what I've been hearing on the news. It's like the cold or typical flu. Once you have that 'particular strain', you can't get it again, but you can still always catch the cold or flu. In laymans words, of course. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not decimating the population.  (10% reduction by definition). It’s decimating the highest risk group; the elderly with already poor health.  You should stop posting doom and gloom that scares children and healthy adults.  

Don't like it, put me on ignore.  

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

We hope there will be a vaccine Alf, remember Coronaviruses are notoriously difficult to create a vaccine for and scientists have never been able to create one before. Here’s hoping they can do what’s never been done before.

I think this is an excellent point and that the idea of a vaccine as a "cure" is a bit misguided.

As I understand it, (and please, someone correct me if I have this wrong) the Coronavirus acts much like other viruses in that it can reoccur. Just like we have "flu season" every year, COVID-19 has the potential to be something that comes around again, even after the curve has largely flattened.

A Vaccine, if and when it is developed, will help in keeping people from contracting the virus, but it won't do anything for people already infected and it's not likely to be 100% effective in preventing new cases either.

I believe social distancing is destined to be the new norm. There will be situations where being in close proximity to others is unavoidable (trains, buses, etc) but things like shaking hands are going to become a thing of the past.

• Hydration 1