CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Aren’t there a lot of people who have the virus that aren’t tested?  Wouldn’t that mess up the data too? 

One can only use the numbers that we know.

• Hydration 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point, but certain things we should make at home, shouldn’t we? 

We make hockey sticks here.

• Haha 1

Everlywell will be releasing 30k at home tests on March 23 with physician follow up via Telehealth, and will rapidly be releasing more in the days following.

It'd be cool if Canada had a private company with those capabilities. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

One can only use the numbers that we know.

Exactly.  I've seen a few people say that it's not fair to compare this to the flu because of so many unknown cases of Covid-19.  Well, using the same logic, we can assume there are a whole whack-load of unreported flu cases as well, so saying Covid-19 is 20/30 times more deadly than the flu is still pretty valid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Italy death toll overtakes China

Thu 19 Mar 2020 17:17:26 GMT

Total death toll reaches at 3405 up 427 on the day

Italy has announced their daily coronavirus numbers and they continue to worsen:
  • Total death toll has now surpassed China's figures. They are up to 3405. That is a gain of 427 from yesterday. That is an increase of 14.3%
  • The total infected has risen to 41,035 from 35,713 on Wednesday. That is an increase of 14.9%

:(

• Huggy Bear 2

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Italy has announced their daily coronavirus numbers and they continue to worsen:
  • Total death toll has now surpassed China's figures. They are up to 3405. That is a gain of 427 from yesterday. That is an increase of 14.3%
  • The total infected has risen to 41,035 from 35,713 on Wednesday. That is an increase of 14.9%

Jesus. I 've been wondering how many of the affected, not just those who succumb, were smokers.

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

I've said a couple of times in the last few days that the Canadian numbers are too early to really get a proper "sample" size and I hold that true for any number of infections below

1,000 minimum, the larger the number the more accurate the ratio. But I do NOT want to see larger numbers.

That said I found it interesting as a comparison.

Germany has large numbers with a low death rate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Is this a variant of the virus that’s more lethal?  These numbers are horrifying.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Do we make these drugs in Canada?  If we don’t, we should get started.  Why not have these drugs available in our care homes, and if a resident shows a fever start them on the medication?  

we actually do have a lot of pharma manufacturing capability. If the malaria drugs in particular are effective that should be quite easy for us to make. Like food, this is an area we  can take care of ourselves for many things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this a variant of the virus that’s more lethal?  These numbers are horrifying.  

no just terrible luck. My wife's family is from northern Italy, near Bergamo which is right in the zone where this is worst. There's just so much tourism in the areas between Milan and Venice and the lake district it just spread fast. Plus Bergamo has this goofy mall/airport thing that would be a germ factory. We got word this am that my wife's aunt passed away but we don't know the cause yet, she was 89 with severe dementia so it could just be natural. 

• Huggy Bear 2

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Germany has large numbers with a low death rate.

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

14,366 cases 43 dead     1 in 338.2

Maybe Germany is testing more people, that are not as sick as those tested in other countries?

If I'm a doctor/scientist/researcher I'd be looking to see just what Germany is doing differently than other countries.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no just terrible luck. My wife's family is from northern Italy, near Bergamo which is right in the zone where this is worst. There's just so much tourism in the areas between Milan and Venice and the lake district it just spread fast. Plus Bergamo has this goofy mall/airport thing that would be a germ factory. We got word this am that my wife's aunt passed away but we don't know the cause yet, she was 89 with severe dementia so it could just be natural. 

sorry for your loss

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe Germany is testing more people, that are not as sick as those tested in other countries?

If I'm a doctor/scientist/researcher I'd be looking to see just what Germany is doing differently than other countries.

I would imagine there's a cultural element, I'm sure compliance is high and the testing is efficient. 

I'm pretty encouraged by the research news today about the effectiveness of existing drugs, that could be a real game changer over the next couple of weeks. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Last I read was that in Germany only 20% of cases were people over 60. So basically don’t let anyone above 60 get infected and you’ll have a low death rate. Pretty difficult though.

Keep in mind only 156 of Germany’s 14,544 cases have had an outcome. 

Edited by Petey40

My nephew is boarding a flight from Tokyo to Vancouver with a 10 hour layover in Honolulu. No screening for him in boarding. Don’t know the airline. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

My nephew is boarding a flight from Tokyo to Vancouver with a 10 hour layover in Honolulu. No screening for him in boarding. Don’t know the airline. 

He's going to be asked to self-isolate when he gets here, that could be why. It'll be interesting to hear from you when he lands and what he's asked to do. 

26 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The really bad news from Italy is the testing they did for every person in a town of 3000 had 25-50% of the positive  cases were asymptomatic. Now of course grain of salt and small sample size. If that is anywhere close to the case where many who get this don’t know, it could get very, very ugly fast.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Probably Hawaiian airlines

NYC reports 3,615 of COVID-19 cases

Thu 19 Mar 2020 17:55:14 GMT

Report 22 deaths

NYC is reporting 3,615 COVID -19 cases and 22 fatalities. Brooklyn as most cases among NYC Burroughs with 1,030

New York Stock Exchange closing it's trading floor. All trading will continue fully electronic.
  • Vintage 1