CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

I've gone for a nice walk the last two days here in Victoria through Beacon Hill Park and Dallas Rd and have been quite proud of our community. Pretty well everyone is practicing proper social distancing. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The Doctor 

Can you post just the link next time so we all dont have to scroll through your wall of text? 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Before martial law, how about limiting who can go out according to address. Anyone whose address ends in an odd number can go out on odd days of the week. Even = even. Take is further and 0 = out from noon-1:59pm, 2 = 2:00-3:59, and so on. 

Between today and yesterday I've lost faith that the majority of people will do the right thing. Can't leave the house for 20 minutes for some exercise without being placed at risk. Gonna by a Playstation instead. 

Sad to say but I think it'll take ALOT of people passing away as a result of the virus here in BC for people to take it seriously.:(

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I've gone for a nice walk the last two days here in Victoria through Beacon Hill Park and Dallas Rd and have been quite proud of our community. Pretty well everyone is practicing proper social distancing. 

This is exactly what I would expect of Victoria. I miss Dallas Rd. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

so i see from my ongoing read of this thread

that stats do matter to many

i'm adding a new stat, due to some random interest in nonsense:

3425 = number of pages in the trump thread

257 - number of pages right now in this thread

257/3425 = 7.5%

i see this percentage number increasing and getting worse in the next while

i hope dr. henry is monitoring this situation as well

maybe all of us using this thread need to get tested

:frantic:

While your drilling down, what % of posts in this thread mention Trump? Just asking for a friend. :P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Same in Calgary. 

But I'm probably a terrible reference point because I hardly go out at any time let alone pandemic time.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

While your drilling down, what % of posts in this thread mention Trump? Just asking for a friend. :P

oh ok

i do have bouts of boredom during which i may delve into nonsense

but i'm going to need an extended run of cabin fever

before i even consider engaging in the task you have set out

however, if it is really important to you (i mean your friend)

we can agree on an hourly rate

and exchange banking information for a sufficient e-transfer deposit

and i'll get right on it

to see how much i can do to assist your friend

:emot-parrot:

Edited by coastal.view
  • Hydration 1

Bought a magic butter machine after seeing someone(stawns i think?) mention it in this thread.

Incredible little machine. Got some delicious cookies for the time being to get my mind off of things.

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sad to say but I think it'll take ALOT of people passing away as a result of the virus here in BC for people to take it seriously.:(

That or until there's a lockdown, closing restaurants, border isn't going to stop large gatherings at beaches, parks, or private parties. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

We had better fast track a vaccine because Canada's numbers grew pretty fast overnight

The numbers are going up because they are doing more testing.  They will keep going up for the next little while.  Perhaps, in the next few weeks they will stabilize - this is what has happened in many parts of Asia.   The key issue is for hospitals not to be overtaxed to the point where they can no longer function.  People are staying home so now it is just a waiting game.   Remember close to 80% of people only end up showing minor symptoms.  The hospital collapsing is the concern. The bigger issue though is in the next few weeks many people are going to be out of money.  At some point people need to see a plan that involves getting back to life.  Where I am this is week 3 of gov't measures but we have not been locked down (places forced to close)d  like they have in Canada.   

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

"If Public Health called you today and told you that you tested positive for COVID-19 and had to list all the places you had been and all the people you had been in contact with for the last 14 days. Would you be proud of yourself or embarrassed? No need to comment, just think about it."
#socialdistancing #flattenthecurve

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Sedinery 1

34 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

this idea is continually repeated

and i doubt you know what it means

or if you do, you do not appear to know what the impact would be

we require open supply chains

or we will not only have a virus crisis

but a supply crisis (food shortages, other medicines... etc. etc)

so shipping (not meaning just ships, but trucks, trains, planes, etc) needs to continue

there are also other reasons to not lock down a country

but i guess it feels good and safe to post this phrase or idea

you may wish to watch what the experts are saying about this issue

they truly have expertise

much more so then us on here

You do understand that things can be locked down, minus essential things?! Just as Italy just did. So, minus grocery, pharmacy & banks.

4 minutes ago, Kushman said:

He should know, his wife is a doctor.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, samurai said:

The numbers are going up because they are doing more testing.  They will keep going up for the next little while.  Perhaps, in the next few weeks they will stabilize - this is what has happened in many parts of Asia.   The key issue is for hospitals not to be overtaxed to the point where they can no longer function.  People are staying home so now it is just a waiting game.   Remember close to 80% of people only end up showing minor symptoms.  The hospital collapsing is the concern. The bigger issue though is in the next few weeks many people are going to be out of money.  At some point people need to see a plan that involves getting back to life.  Where I am this is week 3 of gov't measures but we have not been locked down (places forced to close)d  like they have in Canada.   

What country are you in? I know my provincial government here in Alberta has said they expect this to peak in 4 to 6 weeks. As for this country I will admit and I'm proud of we seem to be able to handle it very well but I'm so watching Italy and can't figure out why the death rate is so high.

Edited by Ryan Strome

46 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

Can you post just the link next time so we all dont have to scroll through your wall of text? 

Sure. I thought posters said they preferred the article.

Can't please everyone...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

What country are you in? I know my provincial government here in Alberta has said they expect this to peak in 4 to 6 weeks. As for this country I will admit and I'm proud of we seem to be able to handle it very well but I'm so watching Italy and can't figure out why the death rate is so high.

Italian Police have charged 60,000 people so far with breaching the quarantine. They also have the oldest population in Europe, precarious finances, and a society that is predicated on social interaction. I have great sympathy for the entire nation right now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Quite a few are doing so in South Hill as well. We’ve been taking our dogs for walks through Mountain View Cemetery and everyone maintains at the minimum 6 feet usually 12. 

I suppose the fact that I’m moaning and lurching helps. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Hydration 2