CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Wow.

That park is not too far from where I live. Hmmm I wonder if walking over to the park and beating their ass giving them a good talking to would be considered an essential break from quarantine.

if you can manage to do that maintain social distancing

i'd say wup them good :P

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, samurai said:

 At some point the Canadian gov't needs to be held accountable for this.  This is one of their basic jobs, there are people that get paid to follow this.  Why did Singapore and Taiwan get it so right and had far less time than us.  Now is not the time, but people need to ask why our gov't appears to have acted negligently.  Trudeau has failed at what was his most critical test.

 

It is one thing to say well we couldn't predict the earthquake but this is completely different.  All the experts who follow this say this was going to happen - not hindsight is 50/50 stuff either.   It is amazing that the gov't here didn't even bother to think hey why is Taiwan going full out on this right now in January.  Why are the Chinese with their vast resources struggling to control this and going full lockdown for 700 plus million people.  Hey perhaps our open border is not a good idea that the moment.  All Canadians were told is yeah we are watching things - yeah exactly right watching things.    

 

 

Not sure if this is the reason but just a thought. Singapore and Taiwan are islands. It's much easier to control an island. Singapore is pretty authoritarian for a democracy.

 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you answered your own question, because they had to. For whatever reason, we thought we had time. 

 

I'm sure there will be a call for an inquiry as to who knew what and when, etc. 

Is Charles Dubin still around?

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CBH1926 said:

I know that, but if it was so hard on his body, you can imagine what it will do to your average North American couch potato body.

Thing is at some point most of us are going to get this and we pretty much need to catch it, just don't spread it.   One simulation suggests 35,000 deaths in the US regardless if it is now or later.   In other words we have a choice to spread it out and not collapse the hospitals or do it all now.    Remember the data shows 80% of people only show mild signs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, samurai said:

Thing is at some point most of us are going to get this and we pretty much need to catch it, just don't spread it.   One simulation suggests 35,000 deaths in the US regardless if it is now or later.   In other words we have a choice to spread it out and not collapse the hospitals or do it all now.    Remember the data shows 80% of people only show mild signs. 

Sooooo.....people should play Russian Roulette with their lives.....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not sure if this is the reason but just a thought. Singapore and Taiwan are islands. It's much easier to control an island. Singapore is pretty authoritarian for a democracy.

 

Is Charles Dubin still around?

 

The UK is as well and they are getting smacked.  I understand your point, but most people fly these days.   Taiwan was screening people coming in from Wuhan from Dec. 31 and identified infected people  That is when they kicked it off.   They were taking critical measures by mid January.   It is all documented and you can see the steps they took, banning flights and so forth. 

 

 

Edited by samurai
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Didn't trump stop travel from China before Trudeau did? Also if Trump got intelligence in January it's almost certain JT did as well. So if Trump is being locked up then shouldn't Jt as well? I would gladly take that trade off.B)

but canada did get active immediately

first case in bc was diagnosed on january 15

how is that even remotely the same as what has been going on in the usa

trump only got on board about 10 days ago

 

wa state has been dealing with their situation on their own

for almost as long as bc has been testing and tracking

so some states did get out well ahead of trump

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IRR said:

Sooooo.....people should play Russian Roulette with their lives.....

it is not Russian roulette.  But I am sure you know how we develop immunity to disease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, samurai said:

it is not Russian roulette.  But I am sure you know how we develop immunity to disease. 

Can we build immunity to this disease? Do you have a source for this?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Can we build immunity to this disease? Do you have a source for this?

quite a few people have recovered from it

which means they had to have built up an immunity

or they would not have recovered

that is a source you can rely on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, samurai said:

it is not Russian roulette.  But I am sure you know how we develop immunity to disease. 

For sure, but it's a risk. If the worst case was a really bad cold it's one thing, but it's death. For lots it's fine, but for some it's not, so hopefully a vaccine etc come along sooner then later. But, there's so much up in the air. Hopefully more come out the other side than not!

Edited by IRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

quite a few people have recovered from it

which means they had to have built up an immunity

or they would not have recovered

that is a source you can rely on

Immunity to reinfection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Did B.C. report any new cases today?

142 new cases across the country. Safe to assume a decent chunk in BC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Immunity to reinfection. 

unclear but likely

they are immune to what they had

or they could not have recovered

how long this immunity will last is unknown presently

but generally immunity does persist

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nuckin_futz said:

142 new cases across the country. Safe to assume a decent chunk in BC.

bc gives its reporting leaders a day off each week

sunday

so they will not be reporting today

we'll get information again tomorrow

likely in the morning.. i am not sure of their schedule tomorrow yet

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, samurai said:

 At some point the Canadian gov't needs to be held accountable for this.  This is one of their basic jobs, there are people that get paid to follow this.  Why did Singapore and Taiwan get it so right and had far less time than us.  Now is not the time, but people need to ask why our gov't appears to have acted negligently.  Trudeau has failed at what was his most critical test.

 


I know that people love to hate on Putin, but damn he put Russia on high alert right away.  
I remember seeing news about Russia cutting off it's borders with China pretty much right away, and then following that up with cancelling flights/trains to Iran and Italy.  

I was pretty pissed off not to see us close our border with Washington State for weeks!  

I'm really not a big fan of what our governments have done.  They have somehow ignored the fact that this virus takes a couple of weeks to take hold so we essentially are two weeks behind on what we should've been doing.  

Everything was open and people were going to big parties up until 10 days ago, so I expect our numbers to surge big time in the next week.  I was looked at as a bit of a sociopath for choosing to stay home after work instead of going to house parties.  
 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Did B.C. report any new cases today?

No.  Day off for Dix and Henry.

Expect tomorrow’s cases to be high to reflect two days worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

unclear but likely

they are immune to what they had

or they could not have recovered

how long this immunity will last is unknown presently

but generally immunity does persist

 

Likely? Generally?

 

Incubation is up to 14 days compared to 4 with the flu

Transmission x2

Death rate is at best 10x

 

You're assuming a lot. As has been said so many times, we don't know if just letting people get it throughout society is a good idea or not. Also, the more people it infects, the more the chances of it mutating, which could make it even worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...