CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I played a fair amount at the old Coliseum, but by the time I got to Midget, we were mostly at the Kin Center. The banners I was talking about used to hang there, but someone told me that they took them down when PG hosted the Winter games.

I did play a bit at the Coliseum a couple years later. I was with the Spruce Kings for a part of a season, but I got a job offer that wouldn't allow me to travel on weekends and I was already 18, so I took the job.

Yes, the banners I know from that period were in Kin 1. That is where they hung all the minor hockey banners and there were not many if I recalL. You guys might have been one of the first?  I played almost all my hockey and lacrosse at the Kin center.  

Safe to say the root cause for community outbreaks was from people who have recently travelled and failed/refused to go through the entire 14-day self isolation.... the Lynn Valley care home was such a tragedy that could have been prevented!

Had our gov't acted a lot more quicker with authority, i.e. imposing harsh laws for legal repercussions, I am 101% certain we wouldn't be seeing this trajectory of cases.... we simply didn't learn anything from the history with SARS. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Dr. Henry claims she's not aware of any shortage in medical supplies and that we shouldn't do too much too soon... WTF eh???????????

she was talking about right now, today. There are plans underway to try to ensure we have supplies down the road for our health professionals. Thats one of the reasons people are being asked to not hoard medical supplies, the front line workers need them and you likely don't as an individual if you follow the rules. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Yes, the banners I know from that period were in Kin 1. That is where they hung all the minor hockey banners and there were not many if I recalL. You guys might have been one of the first?  I played almost all my hockey and lacrosse at the Kin center.  

I think so....it was the 77-78 season....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Safe to say the root cause for community outbreaks was from people who have recently travelled and failed/refused to go through the entire 14-day self isolation.... the Lynn Valley care home was such a tragedy that could have been prevented!

Had our gov't acted a lot more quicker with authority, i.e. imposing harsh laws for legal repercussions, I am 101% certain we wouldn't be seeing this trajectory of cases.... we simply didn't learn anything from the history with SARS. 

we might see some new laws coming out of this for the next pandemic. We can't assume we have time anymore, if there's a large outbreak somewhere in the world we might need to implement self isolation a lot more in the future. But... how do you really ensure compliance with the knuckleheads? we don't have enough police for our needs normally. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

she was talking about right now, today. There are plans underway to try to ensure we have supplies down the road for our health professionals. Thats one of the reasons people are being asked to not hoard medical supplies, the front line workers need them and you likely don't as an individual if you follow the rules. 

No man.... someone definitely lied to us on medical supplies shortage and level of urgency... you can decide which side you want to take. For the longest time we were told the risk is low low lowwwwww.... until we are seeing hundreds.. and then thousands of cases... 

I'm with you on not hoarding medical supplies... but I was reading up some articles on how Taiwan/Singapore/HongKong battle this thing... they seem to have a plan on limiting purchases ... The Gov't of Singapore even got the capability to hand out free masks to citizens so together, they reduce the rate of outbreaks... so help me understand why we can't do the same?? Coz... Singapore is much wealthier and quicker to react/prevent? I dunno.....

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we might see some new laws coming out of this for the next pandemic. We can't assume we have time anymore, if there's a large outbreak somewhere in the world we might need to implement self isolation a lot more in the future. But... how do you really ensure compliance with the knuckleheads? we don't have enough police for our needs normally. 

You are damn right... which is why I'm always pissed to see people having fun in big groups... out on beaches.... it's fine that they don't fear this pandemic.. but their selfish actions might lead to others suffering!

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think so....it was the 77-78 season....

If you don’t mind, I would be curious just to know how you guys ended up at the tourney and how you did. It is 3:00 am here and off to bed. In those days to go out east you had to be a very good team.  

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

No man.... someone definitely lied to us on medical supplies shortage and level of urgency... you can decide which side you want to take. For the longest time we were told the risk is low low lowwwwww.... until we are seeing hundreds.. and then thousands of cases... 

I'm with you on not hoarding medical supplies... but I was reading up some articles on how Taiwan/Singapore/HongKong battle this thing... they seem to have a plan on limiting purchases ... The Gov't of Singapore even got the capability to hand out free masks to citizens so together, they reduce the rate of outbreaks... so help me understand why we can't do the same?? Coz... Singapore is much wealthier and quicker to react/prevent? I dunno.....

I guess we could have... but we just don't use masks in our society in the same way here. 

No one lied to anyone, though. Our hospital system runs on just-in-time delivery to reduce inventory costs. And we no longer have local manufacturing of many basic supplies. 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I played a fair amount at the old Coliseum, but by the time I got to Midget, we were mostly at the Kin Center. The banners I was talking about used to hang there, but someone told me that they took them down when PG hosted the Winter games.

I did play a bit at the Coliseum a couple years later. I was with the Spruce Kings for a part of a season, but I got a job offer that wouldn't allow me to travel on weekends and I was already 18, so I took the job.

10 minutes ago, samurai said:

That, and they built a new KIN 1 building.  I also don't think a  lot of the banners made back up.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Hydration 2

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

You are damn right... which is why I'm always pissed to see people having fun in big groups... out on beaches.... it's fine that they don't fear this pandemic.. but their selfish actions might lead to others suffering!

yeah it is frustrating. The dum dums gonna do dumb things. Try to stay far away. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

This. Exactly.

It's not about "you". It's about everyone else. Especially our medical professionals.

Edited by Lionized27
  • Hydration 1

1 minute ago, samurai said:

If you don’t mind, I would be curious just to know how you guys ended up at the tourney and how you did. It is 3:00 am here and off to bed. In those days to go out east you had to be a very good team.  

There was a provincial tournament, much like there would be normally, except the regular provincials would be the end of the line. (We won those that season as well)

We started off by advancing from the zone, (Quesnel, Williams Lake, 100 Mile, etc) then there was the Northern zone. (Ft St. John, Dawson Creek, Smithers, Terrace, etc) After winning those two, there was a provincial tournament, played in Kelowna. It was us, Kelowna, North Shore Winter Club and a Team from the Island (can't remember for sure, but I think Nanaimo)

We were supposed to fly out from PG, but our plane was grounded due to fog, so we had to charter a bus on the spot and drive to Kelowna. We got in in the wee hours and had a game against NSWC at 9:00 am, so we were playing with about 4 hrs sleep. Luckily, we played like we could and went through undefeated. We scored late in the semis to beat Kelowna 3-2 and took care of NSWC 5-2 in the finals.

Montreal was a bit of a different story. We lost the opener to Sydney, NS by a single goal. We played poorly in that game, so it was disappointing. We got it together after that, beating Saskatoon and Thunder Bay, before losing to Toronto by a goal. Top team in both Division made the finals, so obviously, it wasn't us.

One of the cool things was that they did sort of a parade of teams before the finals game and they brought Roget Doucette in to sing the national Anthem. We all got to meet him. It was pretty much meeting a legend for us.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lionized27 said:

This. Exactly.

It's not about "you". It's about everyone else. Especially our medical professionals.

I don't know what else we could do.... public shaming on social media perhaps??? Dr. Henry clearly said that we don't have the manpower to take tips and arrest people.... so all this talk on isolation is kinda ..... nice to do in reality??? When I was watching the speech by Mayor Stewart, I could feel his determination... however, his powers are limited and it's up to Dr. Henry's orders.. and so far, no offense..... it sucks balls!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Dr. Henry repeatedly said masks don't protect us and if we are healthy, no need to use one

I wear a dust mask, it's piece of mind for me.  If nurses are being told they can use a scarf or bandanna than a dust mask works for me.  I have one N95 mask at home, and learned yesterday that it's possible N95 masks can be sterilized and reused in an oven.

https://iheartintelligence.com/stanford-researchers-n95-masks-sterilized-reused-low-temperature-heating/

nsidering Coronavirus face mask shortages, scientists from Stanford have conducted a study confirming that the N95 masks can be decontaminated in a domestic environment. They suggest that leaving the mask in a regular kitchen oven at 70C/158F for 30 minutes will efficiently sterilize it. Therefore, the masks are suitable for reuse.

“70C /158F heating in an oven for 30min, or hot watervapor from boiling water for 10 min, are additional effective decontamination
methods.”

The masks are a key component of medical workers’ full personal equipment protecting them from possible Coronavirus infection.

The study by Dr. Amy Price and Dr. Larry Chu claims that the N95 masks can be repeatedly decontaminated with no harm for their effectiveness.

This discovery may help decrease face mask shortages all around the globe. However, they note that it’s yet unknown how wearing one mask numerous times will affect the fit of N95 masks. Additionally, they cite the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, stating:

“There is no way of determining the maximum possible number of safe reuses for an N95 respirator as a generic number to be applied in all cases. Safe N95 reuse is affected by a number of variables that impact respirator function and contamination over time.”

Funny I got mocked by co-workers for wearing one, yet day by day more and more employees are wearing them.  If this blows over and turns out it was just a minor bug no one is going to give these naysayers a medal or anything. 

My advice: Expect and prepare for the worse so that no matter what happens nothing will surprise you(and say that in Littlefingers voice)

Image result for littlefinger

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Is this the place, or time for such nonsense?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Is this the place, or time for such nonsense?

Why not have a laugh. We are human after all

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1