CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I wonder if threatening to not pay staff will only encourage staff that crossed the border to go into work..

Seems kind of silly to take peoples pay away for doing the right thing and quarentining themselves... School districts even told staff that had 50 sick days acrrued.... that they could not use them for quatentine....   Makes ZERO sense.  

Once again BC governement and school districts do the WRONG thing....

You can't generalize.  MANY districts are allowing staff to use sick days for the 14 day quarantine.  Our district is one of them.

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, HKSR said:

You can't generalize.  MANY districts are allowing staff to use sick days for the 14 day quarantine.  Our district is one of them.

Sounds like your district is the exception  and doing the right things.......  Are you in the lower mainland... ? Just curious.

Edited by kingofsurrey

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sounds like your district is the exception  and doing the right things.......  Are you in the lower mainland... ? Just curious.

Prefer not to say lol.  I have enough contacts throughout the province and through our associations to have a pulse on what's happening across districts though.

If you're curious about a particular district, I could try and find out more for you.

Edited by HKSR
  • Hydration 2

One additional death at the Lynn Valley Care Centre, but no further cases.

Haro care centre is the only other care centre with more cases.  All others no new cases.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

42 new cases today .... total 659

Dr. Bonnie's on now with the live update

Breakdown by region available yet?

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

They did give it I'm sure...my son phoned, so had to abandon the TV.  

Lois may have it?

4 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Haro care centre is the only other care centre with more cases.  All others no new cases.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

They did give it I'm sure...my son phoned, so had to abandon the TV.  

Lois may have it?

Lois, do you have the breakdown by region?

9 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Border with Italy, they did not close the border right away, lot of folks that live in Lombardy work in Switzerland.

I read today that some people are blaming a Champions League match for the rapid spread in Italy and Spain:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8151075/Coronavirus-Atalanta-v-Valencia-Champions-League-match-biological-bomb.html

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

As soon as it’s available on Twitter I will post.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Prefer not to say lol.  I have enough contacts throughout the province and through our associations to have a pulse on what's happening across districts though.

If you're curious about a particular district, I could try and find out more for you.

No problem. I understand.  It sounds like your district is handling the situation better than most. Well done.

• Hydration 2

Wow.... only 42 new... I guess we'll take that as a pleasant surprise! I've been expecting hundreds on a daily basis for next few weeks looking at the trajectory.... but then again, maybe they are still very behind in testing and it sucks that we don't have resources to test every suspect patients like Korea! Korea quickly max'd at around 5,000+ in such a short span and then the curve got flattened right after..

I wish Bonnie would go into more detail as to how many new cases relate to recent travel history and how many are from community transmission..... we deserve to know more!

I want to thank all the medical staff, delivery drivers, workers serving us at groceries.. they are all taking on a huge risk at a difficult time like this.... I have very little sympathy for those who just had to travel out for fun and then got infected... the alarm bells started back in Feb and yet I know a lot still chose to vacation throughout March.... it doesn't kill you to just cancel your damn trips! 

12 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

My condolences to the person who passed.  Damn that virus doesn't play favourites.....attacking those that are the most vulnerable.  Hopefully the worst is behind us.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Would be nice to know the exact # of cases per city/town.... just so we all have a better idea about our own community!

In Korea, they decided to battle by transparency over privacy..... I know most ppl would feel uncomfortable letting all others know there's an outbreak inside their specific neighborhood.... but that helps heighten the awareness!! 

• Like 3

339 of the cases are in the VCH region

1 new care home has a case (Broadway Pentecostal Lodge)

9 long term care facilities with confirmed cases now

Testing is focused mainly on the health care sector

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Would be nice to know the exact # of cases per city/town.... just so we all have a better idea about our own community!

In Korea, they decided to battle by transparency over privacy..... I know most ppl would feel uncomfortable letting all others know there's an outbreak inside their specific neighborhood.... but that helps heighten the awareness!! 

not sure I understand this, we know a lot about where our cases are coming from, they've named the seniors housing, we know that dental conference, we know the counts in every health authority, what level of detail are you looking for, and how would it change your behaviour?

BCs testing is in decent shape. We have the capacity to test ~3,300 people per day in BC now. For comparison, S.Korea has a 15,000 person per day capacity for 10X the population of BC. They are focusing the testing on health care workers and tracing down community outbreaks where we don't know the cause. If you're a returning traveller, e.,g they aren't wasting resources testing you, you need to self-isolate anyway.