CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Even if we're miraculously and relatively in the clear by May in Canada, the concerning thing is the 24 US teams that may not be quite ready by then...

Then..... they can just forfeit the season and we'll hold a Canada Cup tournament!! :) 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Even if we're miraculously and relatively in the clear by May in Canada, the concerning thing is the 24 US teams that may not be quite ready by then...

So for the first time in 27 years a CDN team will win the cup!

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Japanese numbers up, state of emergency declared.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/sudden-spike-in-new-tokyo-virus-cases-brings-dire-warning-for-japan/ar-BB11KJ5j?ocid=spartandhp

 

"

Tokyo — The Japanese capital registered 47 new coronavirus cases Thursday, its biggest single-day rise, as the metropolis of 13.9 million people prepares for a weekend indoors. The worrying jump in infections prompted Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike to hold a video conference with her counterparts in neighboring prefectures, asking them to help the greater Tokyo region to isolate itself.

Six prefectures responded quickly, asking citizens to avoid all nonessential trips into the capital, or even to stay home altogether. The region is home to about 40 million people — about a third of Japan's total population. 

a group of people standing in front of a tree: People, some wearing face masks, walk through a park as they enjoy cherry blossom season on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. © Provided by CBS News People, some wearing face masks, walk through a park as they enjoy cherry blossom season on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.

Disease experts are concerned not just about Japan's rising case numbers, but their inability to trace the routes of infection. Tokyo, said Koike, "is now at a critical juncture."

 

Compared to Manhattan, Milan or other big cities grappling with tens of thousands of cases, Japan's total of 2,000-plus infections — about a third of them from the outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship — might seem insignificant. But the spiraling stats are so troubling an expert government panel released its most dire analysis ever today, saying it is "highly likely" Japan will see "rampant" infections.

That assessment triggered the formation of a central task force to direct the coronavirus fight. It also paved the way for Prime Minister Abe to declare a state of national emergency, though officials said that extreme move wasn't warranted yet. A state of emergency would enable officials to order residents to stay inside, expropriate private land for medical care, and take other extreme measures.

Governor Koike's request that one of the world's most populous cities spend the weekend indoors unleashed a frenzy of shopping so panicky the Agriculture Ministry was forced to ask the public to stop hoarding and offer reassurances that food remains plentiful. The country also has several months' worth of rice and wheat stockpiled. 

a man standing in front of a mirror posing for the camera: Coronavirus: Responses around the world 53 photos © Provided by CBS News Coronavirus: Responses around the world 53 photos

While Japanese workplaces are remarkably inflexible, the crisis has pushed at least larger companies to get serious about teleworking. About 70% of firms belonging to Japan's chamber of commerce, the Keidanren, said they have or plan to introduce working from home because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Japan has so far escaped the massive disruption to daily life seen in the U.S. and other countries. While sumo is now played to jarringly empty arenas, and residents have been asked to refrain from their beloved custom of picnicking during cherry blossom season, citizens have been free to shop, stroll to day spas and movies, and go out to eat — albeit with more face mask use and hand-sanitizing than usual.

a group of people standing in front of a crowd: Commuters make their way to work on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. © Provided by CBS News Commuters make their way to work on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.

Theories as to why Japan's outbreak has been more muted than elsewhere vary. Some say a cultural avoidance of physical contact — hugging, kissing and handshaking are rare here — and an obsessive use of face masks year-round, along with a general high level of personal hygiene, may have helped keep the virus at bay. The less charitable theory is that Japan kept its numbers down by not going all-in on testing, as South Korea and other countries have done.

Whatever the reason, one thing is clear: If this weekend's voluntary measures are ineffective, residents here are bracing for the lockdowns that have become familiar in harder-hit regions of the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

So for the first time in 27 years a CDN team will win the cup!

Well, fans in Ottawa have been social distancing and avoiding public gatherings all season, so they deserve the Cup for their vigilance

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats your favourite Japanese beer, that would also be available over here?

I imagine Japanese beer is quite pricey in Vancouver.  I believe the most popular beer here is Asahi.  I kind of prefer Sapporo myself.   It's not bad.   As you can imagine Japan has some really nice craft beer and that is what I drink.  When I moved here decades ago I was not fan of Canadian beer.  But the quality of the craft beer now in Canada is amazing.  I have friends here from all over the world visit Vancouver and come back and tell me how much they like the beer.  I bring so much of it back here that my wife gets mad at me.  

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, samurai said:

I imagine Japanese beer is quite pricey in Vancouver.  I believe the most popular beer here is Asahi.  I kind of prefer Sapporo myself.   It's not bad.   As you can imagine Japan has some really nice craft beer and that is what I drink.  When I moved here decades ago I was not fan of Canadian beer.  But the quality of the craft beer now in Canada is amazing.  I have friends here from all over the world visit Vancouver and come back and tell me how much they like the beer.  I bring so much of it back here that my wife gets mad at me.  

Orion is slowly becoming more available here, so there's that. The craft industry in Japan really is coming along nicely - Aooni IPA was my go-to, kinda miss it. 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at cases and deaths per 1mil pop. our numbers are as good as they an get imo.  Just one death per 1mil is pretty dam good compared to Italy's 136/1mil pop.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Orion is slowly becoming more available here, so there's that. The craft industry in Japan really is coming along nicely - Aooni IPA was my go-to, kinda miss it. 

Okinawa beer - Orion.  Yeah, it is pretty good for a brand beer.   Aooni, that and Yona Yona are my go to as well!  They are readily available and affordable  That is the Karuizawa brewery.  They also make the best black beer I have tasted outside of Guinness - Tokyo Black.    COEDO is a another craft brewery that you can get in the stores relatively easily and isn't expensive.  Craft beer is way overpriced here.  There is a place near my house that is 25 bucks 2 hours all you can drink craft beer.  They got a lot on tap and then a a very large selection of both canned beer and bottle beer that you just walk up and help yourself to - super dangerous place!

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright......who has depleted their 'emergency stash' of junk food already?  Heh, reason why I don't buy alot of bags of chips when they're on sale (as I tend to eat them all fairly quickly).

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Alright......who has depleted their 'emergency stash' of junk food already?  Heh, reason why I don't buy alot of bags of chips when they're on sale (as I tend to eat them all fairly quickly).

My freezer is still full, but the pantry is getting depleted. I am using this is as a motivating reason to clear my cupboards of all the non perishables I bought a ways back and never used. Instead of snacking I just drink beer .. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

My freezer is still full, but the pantry is getting depleted. I am using this is as a motivating reason to clear my cupboards of all the non perishables I bought a ways back and never used. Instead of snacking I just drink beer .. :) 

The pantry snacks that were deemed barely edible just three weeks ago are looking like absolute feasts now.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gurn said:

Japanese numbers up, state of emergency declared.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/sudden-spike-in-new-tokyo-virus-cases-brings-dire-warning-for-japan/ar-BB11KJ5j?ocid=spartandhp

 

"

Tokyo — The Japanese capital registered 47 new coronavirus cases Thursday, its biggest single-day rise, as the metropolis of 13.9 million people prepares for a weekend indoors. The worrying jump in infections prompted Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike to hold a video conference with her counterparts in neighboring prefectures, asking them to help the greater Tokyo region to isolate itself.

Six prefectures responded quickly, asking citizens to avoid all nonessential trips into the capital, or even to stay home altogether. The region is home to about 40 million people — about a third of Japan's total population. 

a group of people standing in front of a tree: People, some wearing face masks, walk through a park as they enjoy cherry blossom season on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. © Provided by CBS News People, some wearing face masks, walk through a park as they enjoy cherry blossom season on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.

Disease experts are concerned not just about Japan's rising case numbers, but their inability to trace the routes of infection. Tokyo, said Koike, "is now at a critical juncture."

 

Compared to Manhattan, Milan or other big cities grappling with tens of thousands of cases, Japan's total of 2,000-plus infections — about a third of them from the outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship — might seem insignificant. But the spiraling stats are so troubling an expert government panel released its most dire analysis ever today, saying it is "highly likely" Japan will see "rampant" infections.

That assessment triggered the formation of a central task force to direct the coronavirus fight. It also paved the way for Prime Minister Abe to declare a state of national emergency, though officials said that extreme move wasn't warranted yet. A state of emergency would enable officials to order residents to stay inside, expropriate private land for medical care, and take other extreme measures.

Governor Koike's request that one of the world's most populous cities spend the weekend indoors unleashed a frenzy of shopping so panicky the Agriculture Ministry was forced to ask the public to stop hoarding and offer reassurances that food remains plentiful. The country also has several months' worth of rice and wheat stockpiled. 

a man standing in front of a mirror posing for the camera: Coronavirus: Responses around the world 53 photos © Provided by CBS News Coronavirus: Responses around the world 53 photos

While Japanese workplaces are remarkably inflexible, the crisis has pushed at least larger companies to get serious about teleworking. About 70% of firms belonging to Japan's chamber of commerce, the Keidanren, said they have or plan to introduce working from home because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Japan has so far escaped the massive disruption to daily life seen in the U.S. and other countries. While sumo is now played to jarringly empty arenas, and residents have been asked to refrain from their beloved custom of picnicking during cherry blossom season, citizens have been free to shop, stroll to day spas and movies, and go out to eat — albeit with more face mask use and hand-sanitizing than usual.

a group of people standing in front of a crowd: Commuters make their way to work on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. © Provided by CBS News Commuters make their way to work on March 26, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.

Theories as to why Japan's outbreak has been more muted than elsewhere vary. Some say a cultural avoidance of physical contact — hugging, kissing and handshaking are rare here — and an obsessive use of face masks year-round, along with a general high level of personal hygiene, may have helped keep the virus at bay. The less charitable theory is that Japan kept its numbers down by not going all-in on testing, as South Korea and other countries have done.

Whatever the reason, one thing is clear: If this weekend's voluntary measures are ineffective, residents here are bracing for the lockdowns that have become familiar in harder-hit regions of the world. 

Japan has just started testing more.  I think it would be absurd to think that the virus has not been circulating in any substantial manner in Tokyo the whole time.  No coincidence that this is happening a day after the Olympics?  They were averaging 15-17 cases and day and it jumped the last two days 41 and 47.  For 41 a hospital was identified as a cluster - avoid hospitals.  I am sure it will get a lot higher as well as more testing is done and as the virus naturally spreads.

 

This weekend is the cheery blossom peak and the weather has been 20 plus for a while.  Winter is done.  So people have been going out more and I think this is what they want to stop rather than it being a concern for the number increases the past few days.   It looked like lots of people were going to go out.  Restaurants in popular areas were packed the last few days.  End of March is also the end of year here so usually lots of parties.  Toss in spring break as well.  

 

Of course the way the governor delivered the message was amateur hour and then as you would expect it created a frenzy.   She was on the TV this morning in a morning 'talk show' format reshaping the message. My supermarket was hit hard yesterday by the deer in the headlight crowd. 

 

A week ago the PM and his committee recommended allowing regions to decide whether or not to ease restrictions on their own.  The Tokyo gov't is the second largest gov't in Japan and the current gov't and PM are bitter rivals.  There is a political element to this.  The Tokyo Olympics postponement has brought their ongoing battle out into the open again.  They met yesterday in a presser yesterday and it was very very stiff and cold.   

 

Lock downs are extreme ways to 'temporarily' flatten the curve.  There is no major spike here at the moment - it is flat.   The major issue is having the proper systems in place to properly manage the virus as it will be here for a while.  Some say more testing, well yes to a point.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samurai said:

I imagine Japanese beer is quite pricey in Vancouver.  I believe the most popular beer here is Asahi.  I kind of prefer Sapporo myself.   It's not bad.   As you can imagine Japan has some really nice craft beer and that is what I drink.  When I moved here decades ago I was not fan of Canadian beer.  But the quality of the craft beer now in Canada is amazing.  I have friends here from all over the world visit Vancouver and come back and tell me how much they like the beer.  I bring so much of it back here that my wife gets mad at me.  

thats OK, I'm not a big drinker anymore so I'm fine with quality over quantity. Any brand recommendations would be appreciated.

 

I lie Sapporo, just want to branch out a bit. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats OK, I'm not a big drinker anymore so I'm fine with quality over quantity. Any brand recommendations would be appreciated.

 

I lie Sapporo, just want to branch out a bit. 

Yebisu is very good.  

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Alright......who has depleted their 'emergency stash' of junk food already?  Heh, reason why I don't buy alot of bags of chips when they're on sale (as I tend to eat them all fairly quickly).

6 bags of chips still in the cache!

Edited by Chris12345
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.