CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

33 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and mers ?

send the bill to the middle east ?

just way are countries of origin responsible ?

and what about countries that recklessly incubate

and become massive epicentres due to inaction

the usa for instance on the coronavirus

shouldn't they end up being responsible for the biggest share of the bill

since a bit of investment in prevention

could have massively reduced the spread in that country

Also Swine Flu (H1N1).  I believe that started in the USA. 

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much every country was slow to react and no one is escaping this thing.

At least when they started taking the threat seriously they acted professionally and with purpose. We could be a lot worse off right now (See the UK and America)

We could be alot worse off for sure, especially considering we still have access to food, medicine, water, etc ( except toilet paper ) and we will have to wait and see what the final numbers are before we set judgement however I still have concerns that we arent taking it serious enough. 3 days ago my parents flew in from Australia after being on a cruise ship ( left in december before the virus was known )  They landed in vancouver and had a touch screen to answer to then transferred  to calgary where they were asked where they came from and if they had a fever and told they should go home to isolate. Thats it.... no other screening process or testing or warned about punishment if they went shopping first, etc.  This message about social distancing is great but we could have been much more diligent about stopping new cases from entering in.

37 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

a health official does the testing

it almost always results in a cough during testing

that creates a health risk to that person

The nurse doing the test should be in a self contained breathing apparatus, like firefighters wear. 

• Hydration 1

So, when can we expect the social distancing thing to come to an end around here? I assume it would have to be country wide before we can resume our lives. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess I need to see what the alternative would have had to be, shut down all border and ways of entry into Canada mid-January? strand 1 million Canadians abroad? thats the only way we could have "closed" the border to this thing. 

I guess the first question would have to be if we knew people were sick do we allow them back and if we do, could we have set up self quarantine areas for people ?  Then could it have been feasible to have people return scattered out instead of all at once ?   And for me its not even about shutting the borders completely, its about not just allowing everyone in/back without a proper system in place to not spread this virus around. Canada's approach, according to Teresa Tam, was to allow our health systems to deal with it once they got here. I dont believe its hindsight to say this was a terrible decision . She several times made comments about the racist impacts on the Chinese communities if we took drastic measures. Again, this was wrong because it will now impact an entire country and we ended up taking these measures anyway, but at what cost at the fact we were a month late ?

Either way, when this is all over and done with I really hope our government can put aside this right/left battle and start working together to make sure things are in place for this to be handled better in the future.

• Hydration 1
  • Burr 1

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So, when can we expect the social distancing thing to come to an end around here? I assume it would have to be country wide before we can resume our lives. 

Well they have said end up April they want it to continue until atleast.  We have been at it what? 2-3 weeks now?  End of April brings it close to 7-8 weeks, you're really asking a lot from people at that point to continue, it'll be hard for people to keep apart from friends/family that long.  

I know we had a 7 group chat last night with friends via FB Messenger, it was nice to see and talk to everyone but hard at the same time knowing we can't all get the kids together to play and have fun and have a beer together, etc. I can see the social distancing getting tiresome and people starting to say F-it and going their own ways and seeing friends, etc. again.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Not for another 8 weeks at least it appears. 

We are just getting started.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6695737/coronavirus-canadians-social-distancing/

https://nationalpost.com/health/could-the-covid-19-crisis-mean-well-be-social-distancing-for-eight-months-or-more

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/technology/science/article-when-does-social-distancing-end-these-graphs-show-where-were-heading/

Edited by Kanukfanatic

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

The nurse doing the test should be in a self contained breathing apparatus, like firefighters wear. 

the issue is that

whoever administers the test

has to remove and dispose of or have cleaned any gear that was coughed on

before moving on to the next test

as the person who coughed could have the virus

and contaminated the gear

so the next patient cannot be exposed to that risky gear

• Thanks 1

Coronavirus - Full lockdown in Moscow, four hours notice given

Mon 30 Mar 2020 00:20:45 GMT

An ICYMI from Russia, announcement by the city's Mayor

• Moscow lockdown from March 30
  • All residents forbidden from leaving their homes and their movement in the city would subject to special permits
  • exceptions for buying groceries, medicines, walking pets within 100 meters from home and disposing of litter
Four days ago President Putin said Russia had so far managed to control the spread of the disease
  • gave the country a week off work, not a lockdown like this from Moscow
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Coronavirus - Full lockdown in Moscow, four hours notice given

Mon 30 Mar 2020 00:20:45 GMT

An ICYMI from Russia, announcement by the city's Mayor

• Moscow lockdown from March 30
  • All residents forbidden from leaving their homes and their movement in the city would subject to special permits
  • exceptions for buying groceries, medicines, walking pets within 100 meters from home and disposing of litter
Four days ago President Putin said Russia had so far managed to control the spread of the disease
  • gave the country a week off work, not a lockdown like this from Moscow

Guess they could only claim "no problem" for so long as the bodies piled up.

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guess they could only claim "no problem" for so long as the bodies piled up.

giphy.gif

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I think the problem with how researchers are communicating these models is that nobody is talking about how social distance is defined in their models. Social distancing is a spectrum. We started with social distancing as no gatherings of >200... then >50, then >10; now coffee shops allow 2 persons in a shop at a time (at least from the signs I saw in my neighborhood). 

I think the wide-ranging estimates of how long we must maintain social distancing (some saying 8 weeks, others 18 months per the articles quoted) might come partially from how social distancing is defined. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

a musical interlude

if any one needs one

"If you get to the end of a vocal and you’ve got nothing more to say, but maybe the guitar has”

- Mark Knopfler

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

I think the problem with how researchers are communicating these models is that nobody is talking about how social desistance is defined in their models. Social distancing is a spectrum. We started with social distancing as no gatherings of >200... then >50, then >10; now coffee shops allow 2 persons in a shop at a time (at least from the signs I saw in my neighborhood). 

I think the wide-ranging estimates of how long we must maintain social distancing (some saying 8 weeks, others 18 months per the articles quoted) might come partially from how social distancing is defined. 

Totally agree.

And I can already see what is going to happen. We in BC will stay home (not me...I have to work) for the most part and the curve hopefully gets in control.

Then in about three weeks people will start whining and saying they dont think they need to stay home any longer and they will start to get back to normal life. At that point, the second infection wave will hit.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Totally agree.

And I can already see what is going to happen. We in BC will stay home (not me...I have to work) for the most part and the curve hopefully gets in control.

Then in about three weeks people will start whining and saying they dont think they need to stay home any longer and they will start to get back to normal life. At that point, the second infection wave will hit.

When May comes and weather is nice good luck getting school kids to stay home.

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Totally agree.

Definitely. This is what I'm worrying about. Needs to be a slow return like you're rehabbing an injury.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Russ said:

Well they have said end up April they want it to continue until atleast.  We have been at it what? 2-3 weeks now?  End of April brings it close to 7-8 weeks, you're really asking a lot from people at that point to continue, it'll be hard for people to keep apart from friends/family that long.  

I know we had a 7 group chat last night with friends via FB Messenger, it was nice to see and talk to everyone but hard at the same time knowing we can't all get the kids together to play and have fun and have a beer together, etc. I can see the social distancing getting tiresome and people starting to say F-it and going their own ways and seeing friends, etc. again.

I'm loving the social distancing. Nothing worse then spending your Saturday night fake laughing.

*disclaimer* yes I wish the virus never took over and people were healthy, alive, and kept their jobs. I'm just not a social butterfly.

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Totally agree.

well maybe by then

we will have self testing kits available

and people can make that decision based on those test results