CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i think the idea of testing is a bit misunderstood

it is not necessary that everyone be tested

the testing happens relating to tracing activities

and hospital admissions (so they are certain what they will be treating)

 

the outcome for having symptoms is always the same

if you are unwell and have any symptoms

stay home for 14 days

this does not change with testing (or testing results)

 

it's not really presently an issue of test shortages

though being prudent on how tests are used is wise as more could be required later

there is a cost for each test, there is an additional cost to process each test to get results

so there are financial reasons as well to target testing

 

there is also a health risk for administering each test

a health official does the testing

it almost always results in a cough during testing

that creates a health risk to that person

and also requires a change of protective equipment for each test

so there is health risks and health equipment issues as well

 

not trying to be picky here

but testing is not really fully understood

this issue has been explained many times by dr. henry in her updates

but it warrants repeating

Since I haven’t been hanging on Dr Henry’s every word, I wasn’t aware that the Ministry of Health wasn’t looking into United Health Group’s self-administered Covid 19 test.
 

Potentially this could reduce the risk to health care workers cited by you above, as well as get more people tested. But that would cost money. 


I was hopeful because The Ministry is trialing  anti malarial drug Hydroxychloroquine to treat Covid patients in care homes in B.C. This drug was touted to be a possible cure by certain political figures south of the border, however this medication has not been approved in the US as evidence of its effectiveness is anecdotal. 

 

South Korea has tested way more people per capita than anyone else. Do they misunderstand the issue of testing too? I appreciate everything that Dr Henry is doing and I think that she is very learned. But there are other options out that that are equally valid.


I’m not a medical expert and most posters here are just regular people just like me. I’ve been Watching the various sources of news such as CNN, Fox, CTV, CBC, Global and BBC. Dr Henry is not the expert used by all of these news sources. Makes it hard to take everything that she says as gospel.  
 

I admire your faith in Dr Henry, but I think that she’s only human, so I’ll carry on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redhdlois said:

I was thinking more along the lines of the sanitary practices within the care facilities......I highly doubt there is much hand washing and/or gloves being worn and discarded when going from patient to patient.

 

I wish someone would ask Dr.Henry during their daily reports and Q&A how many of BC’s cases are in long term care facilities.  I am sure the numbers are staggering.   When/if my day comes, I will not consent to going into one of these places....you can just take me out back and shoot me first.

If you read the story I linked in my post, the government actually is doing it’s job as far as auditing care homes. Where it fails is allowing foreign private corporations and even hedge funds to own and poorly operate essential services like pharmacies and care homes. 
 

If you are interested in seeing which homes are experiencing flu outbreaks (although not necessarily Covid, could be an aggressive/passive strain of flu) this is a site used by some health professionals to track outbreaks and their relative severity:
 

https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/CommunicableDiseaseControl/Outbreaks/Pages/default.aspx

 

The final call on treatment of epidemics is always up to the experts in our Health Authority, and they should be taken seriously.

 

As for you possibly living in one of these places; I hate to burst your bubble but if you get old enough, your mental capacity diminishes to the point you won’t even understand which country you’re in, let alone which building.

  • Huggy Bear 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

giphy.gif

Weird....

 

I just got a Fedex package from Russia.  Food!   Looks like some kind of sandwich.  There's some writing in Cyrillic on the wrapper "Ivan's finest polonium meat sandwiches".  mmmmm...smells real good but I ate dinner already!  I think I'll give it to my buddy Alf!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So, when can we expect the social distancing thing to come to an end around here? I assume it would have to be country wide before we can resume our lives. 

US just extended to April 30th.  At least 3 more weeks before any real movement by the gov't would be my bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Weird....

 

I just got a Fedex package from Russia.  Food!   Looks like some kind of sandwich.  There's some writing in Cyrillic on the wrapper "Ivan's finest polonium meat sandwiches".  mmmmm...smells real good but I ate dinner already!  I think I'll give it to my buddy Alf!

rocky GIF

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Your political bias is showing.

 

Wonder what Scheer would be doing? Following the Donald’s playbook?

Political bias?

 

are you serious?

 

its called common sense 

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Political bias?

 

are you serious?

 

its called common sense 

 

Riiight....

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was not for strong provincial leaders in this country, it would be unmitigated disaster ... not that things are peachy 

 

the provinces have been 10 steps ahead of the feds .. just like it had to be in the US

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DeNiro said:

Riiight....

Socialist above 

 

talk about political bias coming through loud and clear 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

 

Good.  The Save-On near me ran out of wipes by the door and took a week to replenish them.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good.  The Save-On near me ran out of wipes by the door and took a week to replenish them.

Thats to bad, SuperStore and FreshCo had dedicated guys cleaning everythinng before people were touching carts, etc.  where I am.  Gotta say good on them from what I saw.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good.  The Save-On near me ran out of wipes by the door and took a week to replenish them.

Save On near my place have security outside to enforce the 2 meter thing and letting few people in at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

 

just doing this now - what the?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

Since I haven’t been hanging on Dr Henry’s every word, I wasn’t aware that the Ministry of Health wasn’t looking into United Health Group’s self-administered Covid 19 test.
 

Potentially this could reduce the risk to health care workers cited by you above, as well as get more people tested. But that would cost money. 


I was hopeful because The Ministry is trialing  anti malarial drug Hydroxychloroquine to treat Covid patients in care homes in B.C. This drug was touted to be a possible cure by certain political figures south of the border, however this medication has not been approved in the US as evidence of its effectiveness is anecdotal. 

 

South Korea has tested way more people per capita than anyone else. Do they misunderstand the issue of testing too? I appreciate everything that Dr Henry is doing and I think that she is very learned. But there are other options out that that are equally valid.


I’m not a medical expert and most posters here are just regular people just like me. I’ve been Watching the various sources of news such as CNN, Fox, CTV, CBC, Global and BBC. Dr Henry is not the expert used by all of these news sources. Makes it hard to take everything that she says as gospel.  
 

I admire your faith in Dr Henry, but I think that she’s only human, so I’ll carry on. 

let's not over simplify things

just because you prefer some aura of mistrust about our local authorities

 

people in each region want to know what is going on locally

tv stations report locally and have a local audience

the local health authority would be the go to person to report on what is going on locally

that person would have the greatest detailed knowledge of the local situation

that is why dr henry is relied on in bc

 

you are correct in inferring that governor cuomo and the new york media does not rely on her reports (or all sorts of media outlets in the usa)

that is all too obvious to me

i think it is silly for you to even bother to point this out

 

not sure why you think medical authorities who speak more generally on the covid19 issue

would be an authority on what is going on in bc

 

 

Edited by coastal.view
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estimates of the real death toll in China from the coronavirus - UK say multiply by up to 40

Mon 30 Mar 2020 02:40:14 GMT

 

UK press report PM Johnson has been advised the death toll in China has been understated by a factor of 15 to 40 times'

A senior Cabinet Minister :
  • 'We can't stand by and allow the Chinese state's desire for secrecy to ruin the world's economy and then come back like nothing has happened."
A senior Minister: 
  • 'We have always known their wildlife markets are a recipe for a pandemic. China needs to close these down immediately. If they don't, they will rightly become a pariah state.'
 
Separately, RFA:
  • Wuhan residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate
  • Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.
  • news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

 

**************

 

None of this should be surprising.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Estimates of the real death toll in China from the coronavirus - UK say multiply by up to 40

Mon 30 Mar 2020 02:40:14 GMT

 

UK press report PM Johnson has been advised the death toll in China has been understated by a factor of 15 to 40 times'

A senior Cabinet Minister :
  • 'We can't stand by and allow the Chinese state's desire for secrecy to ruin the world's economy and then come back like nothing has happened."
A senior Minister: 
  • 'We have always known their wildlife markets are a recipe for a pandemic. China needs to close these down immediately. If they don't, they will rightly become a pariah state.'
 
Separately, RFA:
  • Wuhan residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate
  • Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.
  • news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

 

**************

 

None of this should be surprising.

well i agree about being suspicious

just wish the messaging came from someone more reliable then boris (herd immunity approach) johnson

he is in trouble on this issue and is in serious deflection mode

 

i'm going to hold off assessing the china true numbers situation

until a true expert speaks to that with solid arguments (better evidence) to support that

but i accept that more then likely the numbers offered by china so far

under reports the true situation there

 

i find it curious too

when looking at the uk numbers

that one could easily reasonably suggest

that the uk numbers are inaccurate in terms of cases in that country

by a multiplier of at least 4 (compare their death rate to their cases rate - it suggests the infection is more widespread in the uk then what they have reported)

and if that multiplier were added (or if testing caught up a bit more with the true situation in the uk)

the uk would be passing china in total cases

so i can kinda of see why boris is sooo worried about the china reporting issues

Edited by coastal.view
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Estimates of the real death toll in China from the coronavirus - UK say multiply by up to 40

Mon 30 Mar 2020 02:40:14 GMT

 

UK press report PM Johnson has been advised the death toll in China has been understated by a factor of 15 to 40 times'

A senior Cabinet Minister :
  • 'We can't stand by and allow the Chinese state's desire for secrecy to ruin the world's economy and then come back like nothing has happened."
A senior Minister: 
  • 'We have always known their wildlife markets are a recipe for a pandemic. China needs to close these down immediately. If they don't, they will rightly become a pariah state.'
 
Separately, RFA:
  • Wuhan residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate
  • Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.
  • news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

 

**************

 

None of this should be surprising.

I work with a guy who’s originally from Hong Kong and he estimated as far back as late January/early February that the numbers from China were laughable and you might as well multiply them by as much as 50. 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...