CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:
Wed 22 Jan 2020 18:46:52 GMT

Report from China's CCTV

There are 11 million people in Wuhan and it's where the coronavirus originated. The city has also suspended public transportation and long-haul bus links.

I have to give credit to China here. I hope they're able to not only contain it, but ensure that those infected can be cured. That must be terrifying to be in a region that has a very virulent pathogen, and that you can't get out.

Wed 22 Jan 2020 20:01:58 GMT

They will meet tomorrow.

The World Health Organization director General Tedros says:
  • decision on whether to declare coronavirus outbreak and international emergency delayed until Thursday
  • The organization will meet tomorrow
  • Coronavirus is an evolving and complex situation.
  • Appreciates cooperation from Chinese Pres. Xi and prime minister Li
  • Our team is on the ground in China as we speak to investigate the outbreak and get more information
Edited by nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:
Regarding the shutting down of transport in and out of Wuhan.

From Hu Xijin from the Global Times:

Shutting down outbound transportation of a provincial capital city is unprecedented in China since 1949. Didn't do so even during SARS in 2003. This is a forced step since virus is expanding fiercely. It will greatly increase the chance of epidemic being contained.

Imagine if this virus outbreak originated here in North America.  Shutting down transport in western countries like Canada and the US would never work or happen.  

The left will claim human rights violations and the far right will claim it is a conspiracy by the federal government to control them.

13 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Imagine if this virus outbreak originated here in North America.  Shutting down transport in western countries like Canada and the US would never work or happen.  

The left will claim human rights violations and the far right will claim it is a conspiracy by the federal government to control them.

Imagine putting a city the size of Chicago under a pseudo quarantine. Chicago and surrounding areas is 9 million people. Wuhan is 11 million.

China State TV says there are now 571 coronavirus cases confirmed

Thu 23 Jan 2020 00:23:03 GMT

coronavirus

Caixin meanwhile cite 'local doctors' estimating total cases may be as high as 6000

Being locked into a city - ‘‘tis a new experience! 

If boil water / power outage advisories in BC are bad for stockpiling, you can imagine what the shops look like here as 11 million people are preparing for staying at home long-term. 

• Hydration 1

I live in city right now. It's like a ghost city, everyone is staying at home and not going out. The grocery stores have all been bought out. Seems like everyone is hibernating now.

Quebec health officials monitoring 5 people for possible cases of coronavirus

MONTREAL -- Six people in Quebec who had recently travelled to China have displayed symptoms of a respiratory virus, a spokesperson for the provincial health ministry said on Wednesday.

It is not yet clear if they are suffering from another type of respiratory virus or Wuhan coronavirus, the spokesperson added. Five of them are being monitored in hospitals in Montreal and Quebec City as a precautionary measure. The ministry did not say which hospitals. A sixth has tested negative for the virus and has been discharged from the hospital.

The announcement came after the health ministry announced it was on watch for the virus and was taking pre-emptive measures to warn doctors, nurses and other health officials.

"The Minister of Health and Social Services wishes to reassure the population and to recall that, as the epidemiological situation is evolving rapidly, the necessary measures have been taken to diagnose cases that could arise in Quebec," the ministry said in a statement.

Officials have issued guidelines to emergency rooms, instructing them on how to triage and manage potential cases of the virus. Info-Sante has also received a notice about the virus.

At airports, provincial health officials are monitoring incoming travelers from China and Thailand -- those countries are considered "under surveillance" according to a spokesperson for the health minister.

The ministry also noted, however, that few cases had yet been diagnosed outside of China.

"The global risk for Canadians remains low," the ministry insisted.

Outside of China, confirmed cases of the virus have appeared in Thailand, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and the United States, the ministry stated.

According to current information, it is possible the virus can be transmitted between people -- several cases have been confirmed among healthcare workers.

The virus, officially known as 2019-nCoV, is similar to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Cases began to appear in Wuhan, China, centred around a seafood and animal market, the ministry said. As of Wednesday at 4 p.m., over 400 cases had been confirmed in China; 17 had died. 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-health-officials-monitoring-5-people-for-possible-cases-of-coronavirus-1.4779111

Also, Singapore has their first confirmed case.

My coworker yesterday:  "Deb, my friend wants me to go snowboarding".

Me:   "Awesome....where are you going?"

CW:  "He's from Wuhan...just got out of there before the shutdown".

Me:   "Ummm, maybe wait a couple weeks for that outing...make sure he's not sick?"

CW:  "Yep, 100%"

11 hours ago, smokes said:

I live in city right now. It's like a ghost city, everyone is staying at home and not going out. The grocery stores have all been bought out. Seems like everyone is hibernating now.

You live in Wuhan?

21 hours ago, DonLever said:

And both would hopefully shut the hell up and get their heads out of their asses if they wanted to survive. Although, losing a swath of ideologues wouldn't be the worst thing imaginable.  

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/china-virus-five-cities-locked-down-and-beijing-festivities-scrapped/ar-BBZg6XE?ocid=spartandhp

While sweeping measures are typical of China’s communist government, large-scale quarantines are rare around the world, even in deadly epidemics, because of concerns about infringing on people’s liberties. And the effectiveness of such measures is unclear.

“To my knowledge, trying to contain a city of 11 million people is new to science,” Gauden Galea, the World Health Organisation’s representative in China, told the Associated Press. It has not been tried before as a public health measure. We cannot at this stage say it will or it will not work.”

Expert says coronavirus could be "at least" ten times worse than SARS

Thu 23 Jan 2020 20:39:14 GMT

Comments after visiting Wuhan

Comments after visiting Wuhan

Guan Yi, director of the State Key Laboratory of Emerging Infectious Diseases at Hong Kong University, traveled to Wuhan on Tuesday and Wednesday and now he's warning that the disease could be a generational pandemic.

"My conservative estimate is that this epidemic could end up at least 10 times the scale of Sars [severe acute respiratory disease]," he told Caixin today.

There are signs China is planning to lock down a second city. At midnight, all public transport in Huanggang will be halted. It's a city of 7.5 million located 70km east of Wuhan.

Dr. Guan said he left Wuhan convinced that "the epidemic situation was out of control."

"I've experienced so much and I've never felt scared before," he said. "But this time I'm scared."

He said that models suggest that due to incubation lags, symptoms may appear more broadly across China beginning on Saturday.

SARS infected 8,089 people globally and killed 774 with China accounting for the vast majority. It curbed Chinese GDP growth in 2003 by 0.8-2.0 percentage points.

If this video of a hospital in Wuhan is authentic, then watch out. The announcement of a plan to build a special hospital in the city in six days suggests there is overwhelming demand.

No air travel to or from China until further notice. Sorry. This has to happen.

• Hydration 1

13 hours ago, J-23 said:

6867E835-75A2-4F79-8DE0-C7E6A3D561D3.jpeg.287b915e08b5eba404513b65d53a2ec7.jpeg

Late 1960s....Trudeaumania Plague caused a horrible epidemic in Canada.  And just when it looked like the disease was gone, it mutated in 2015.

Signed Ryan Strome

:lol:

• Haha 1

Maybe it's a laugh, but I've still gone out and bought a bread machine, a few cases of soup and basic ingredients in bulk like rice, flour, baking powder, crackers and a few jugs of water.  I don't feel like risking anything should this hit the fan like it appears to be doing already via social media

On 1/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, Warhippy said:

When people speak of potential threats to economic development, every single possible checkmark is being taken care of for a basic Pest and Swot analysis.

A major epidemic coupled with ongoing political instability in America and the Middle East coupled with trade wars and record high debt....might be time to start stockpiling for that doomsday nonsense people speak of

Sounds like maybe time to buy some gold too