CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

man this thread....gone to $&!#!

I blame Jesus 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I blame Jesus 

i blame the degree of calm

that has been achieved in bc

it has taken the most extreme worries out of the equation here presently

 

 

Edited by coastal.view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Wth you talking about?

 

ye I’m a heartless island of a humanity.

No, I think you make comments that insinuate an opinion, which is why it's so important to write clearly on what your point is whenever you make a post with an idea. 

 

Here's THIS, and from it I believe THIS.

  • Hydration 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Wth you talking about?

 

ye I’m a heartless island of a humanity.

Everything you offered insinuates you believe the cure is worse than the disease.  That restricting our freedom and economic sacrifice is too hefty a price to pay.  That means that you believe there is an acceptable death toll, that you are willing to sacrifice human lives to maintain liberty and to salvage the economy.

 

You contend that the virus takes its toll on the elderly or those with pre-existing conditions (which is not true) and that is the acceptable price to maintain our liberty and current economic model.  We all have family members who are elderly, who have pre-existing conditions........which loved ones are you willing to sacrifice for your freedom to move about unrestricted?

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I don’t know.  But many are dying from many things.

 

and part of the debate is how many will die as a result of “the cure”

 

tough times.

This is something I started contemplating the other day when I realized I had this thread, and the death count thread both opened for about 3 weeks without closing either or opening any other. It was kind of morbid, which got me thinking how many people usually die every day that most people like us don't care about all. I think I saw a website like that once. It also climbs at an alarming rate, so it begs the question how much higher is the death rate now than it normally was, and how much of that can be attributed to Covid?

  • Thanks 1
  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is something I started contemplating the other day when I realized I had this thread, and the death count thread both opened for about 3 weeks without closing either or opening any other. It was kind of morbid, which got me thinking how many people usually die every day that most people like us don't care about all. I think I saw a website like that once. It also climbs at an alarming rate, so it begs the question how much higher is the death rate now than it normally was, and how much of that can be attributed to Covid?

Well NY is approaching 10k in a matter of a cpl weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

 

 

It is honest, and I thank you.

 

But this part has me wanting to question why if this deal isn't worrisome enough to have measures in place that limit freedoms in order to prevent transmission?  

That’s fair for sure.  I’m not saying any of this isn’t worrisome.

 

for example:

 

I practice social distancing.  I’m already a clean healthy person but I have hand sanitizer in my work trailer.  I wash my hands before leaving the house and when I return.  I shop only when needed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

No, I think you make comments that insinuate an opinion, which is why it's so important to write clearly on what your point is whenever you make a post with an idea. 

 

Here's THIS, and from it I believe THIS.

I’ve done so.  It’s not up to me if people want to add some sort of angle or motive to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is something I started contemplating the other day when I realized I had this thread, and the death count thread both opened for about 3 weeks without closing either or opening any other. It was kind of morbid, which got me thinking how many people usually die every day that most people like us don't care about all. I think I saw a website like that once. It also climbs at an alarming rate, so it begs the question how much higher is the death rate now than it normally was, and how much of that can be attributed to Covid?

but i do think there is a distinct difference

this is a new challenge

that has a huge upside if tackled smartly and effectively

many lives can be saved by not being idle or complacent about this one

 

it is true that people die everyday

but the causes are multiple

and often due to complex societal issues

which were being addressed in the normal sophisticated dull thorough way these things are done

not dramatic or fresh

 

i think the current attention and energy being spent on this novel virus

is a very good investment

and a good placement of priorities

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

but i do think there is a distinct difference

this is a new challenge

that has a huge upside if tackled smartly and effectively

many lives can be saved by not being idle or complacent about this one

 

it is true that people die everyday

but the causes are multiple

and often due to complex societal issues

which were being addressed in the normal sophisticated dull thorough way these things are done

not dramatic or fresh

 

i think the current attention and energy being spent on this novel virus

is a very good investment

and a good placement of priorities

It is.  But is not also a bit reactionary?  A topic of discussion I started a few days ago. 
 

to be clear when I say reactionaries I  do not mean over the top or unnecessary.

Edited by riffraff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

It is.  But is not also a bit reactionary?  A topic of discussion I started a few days ago. 

your choice of language is predictive of your views

 

reactionary?  really?

 

how about "responsive"

 

well worth the present priority given to this new problem facing the world

this pandemic

reactionary is a word i'd use about dramatic behaviour in relation to something trivial

 

Edited by coastal.view
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I honestly don’t know if ppe is effective or not.  I hear it stops transmissions but does not stop infection?????

depends. People who use N95 masks in industry are supposed to go through fit test training. If its not on correctly it won't work. Surgical masks and home made masks are good for stoping you spewing on someone for the most part, but they do little for protecting you from something like a cloud of airborne virus, they're simply not fit to your face in the same way as a respirator. 

 

But if you wear it properly you can reduce the risk. 

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

depends. People who N95 masks in industry are supposed to go through fit test training. If its not on correctly it won't work. Surgical masks and home made masks are good for stoping you spewing on someone for the most part, but they do little for protecting you from something like a cloud of airborne virus, they're simply not fit to your face in the same way as a respirator. 

 

But if you wear it properly you can reduce the risk. 

the benefit of wearing a mask

is really to prevent you from spreading your illness to others

it has marginal value in preventing you from getting it from someone else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

your choice of language is predictive of your views


 

of course it is

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

reactionary?  really?

 

how about "responsive"

 

well worth the present priority given to this new problem facing the world

this pandemic

reactionary is a word i'd use about dramatic behaviour in relation to something trivial


 

reactionary also applies to not being prepared.

 

thats on everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

of course it is

reactionary also applies to not being prepared.

 

thats on everyone.

who are you referring to?

your statements are too often way too general

they do not have as much value as they could as a result

 

who is not being prepared?

who is this everyone that you say this is on ?

 

Edited by coastal.view
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the benefit of wearing a mask

is really to prevent you from spreading your illness to others

it has marginal value in preventing you from getting it from someone else

yeah you'd have to be in the direct line of getting horked on and it hitting the mask. Its still all over the rest of you tho so you have to go and wash properly, etc. anyway. 

 

I was buying groceries for the in-laws yesterday and got sneezed on actually, not pleasant. But a surgical mask wouldn't have helped one bit if she sneezed out a cloud of virus, everyone in the aisle was exposed instantly.

 

If I disappear from CDC you'll know why. That or Deb is finally tired of me. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well NY is approaching 10k in a matter of a cpl weeks

Yeah, it's getting out of hand there. I would really love to see a complete numerical breakdown, per country, per capita, average comparison. How many people die in NY everyday, probably more than Canada? Most of us don't think about the sheer number of people that die everyday in the world. There are like 7 billion people out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is something I started contemplating the other day when I realized I had this thread, and the death count thread both opened for about 3 weeks without closing either or opening any other. It was kind of morbid, which got me thinking how many people usually die every day that most people like us don't care about all. I think I saw a website like that once. It also climbs at an alarming rate, so it begs the question how much higher is the death rate now than it normally was, and how much of that can be attributed to Covid?

That's why hospital capacity is a key factor/statistic/whatever you want to call it.  If my appendix bursts during regular flu season, I'm not worried because I know the hospital won't be overburdened with seasonal flu sufferers.  But what if my appendix bursts two weeks from now and the hospitals are slammed with Covid-19 patients?  How many other things may get missed because the hospitals are overburdened because we didn't flatten the curve.

 

It's easy to quibble over death rates, testing effectiveness because this virus is new and the data is emerging.  But the overburdening of the hospital system is real because we ALL are susceptible  to this virus (unlike the seasonal flu which a large enough percentage of us will already have immunity).

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah you'd have to be in the direct line of getting horked on and it hitting the mask. Its still all over the rest of you tho so you have to go and wash properly, etc. anyway. 

 

I was buying groceries for the in-laws yesterday and got sneed on actually, not pleasant. But a surgical mask wouldn't have helped one bit if she sneezed out a cloud of virus, everyone in the aisle was exposed instantly. If I disappear from CDC you'll know why. That or Deb is finally tired of me. 

a good example jimmy

 

 

oh.. and stop trying to be trump like

and create new words for the english language

what is this "sneed" you refer to???

 

:bigblush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member