CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

our new cases per day rate is actually dropping, pretty encouraging. Fingers crossed. 

What we really need now is for our usual Vancouver weather of constant rain to keep people inside.  Not days like today.

8 minutes ago, sonoman said:

37 still normal.  Dry cough, fever, SOB are most frequent symptoms.  Other symptoms point to flu or bad cold.  Take care of yourself and avoid Advil if you can. Tylenol best for fever reduction. 

The cough is productive, thank goodness. Have been very fatigued today. Thanks sonoman. 

• Like 3
  • Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Tiger at Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

A 4-year-old Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo in New York tested positive for coronavirus, which causes Covid-19 in humans. This is the first instance of a tiger being infected, according to the US Department of Agriculture’s National Veterinary Services Laboratories.

The tiger, named Nadia, along with her sister Azul, two Amur tigers and three African lions "had developed a dry cough and all are expected to recover," a news release from the zoo said.

Samples from Nadia were taken and tested after several lions and tigers at the zoo showed symptoms of respiratory illness, the USDA said in a release.

"Though they have experienced some decrease in appetite, the cats at the Bronx Zoo are otherwise doing well under veterinary care and are bright, alert, and interactive with their keepers. It is not known how this disease will develop in big cats since different species can react differently to novel infections, but we will continue to monitor them closely and anticipate full recoveries," the zoo's release said.

The zoo said the big cats were infected by a person caring for them who was either asymptomatic or had not yet developed symptoms.

"Appropriate preventive measures are now in place for all staff who are caring for them, and the other cats in our four WCS zoos, to prevent further exposure of any other of our zoo cats," the release said.

How does a tiger get a virus test when humans can't?

How do they go about swabbing a tiger's nasal passages?

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Tiger at Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

A 4-year-old Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo in New York tested positive for coronavirus, which causes Covid-19 in humans. This is the first instance of a tiger being infected, according to the US Department of Agriculture’s National Veterinary Services Laboratories.

The tiger, named Nadia, along with her sister Azul, two Amur tigers and three African lions "had developed a dry cough and all are expected to recover," a news release from the zoo said.

Samples from Nadia were taken and tested after several lions and tigers at the zoo showed symptoms of respiratory illness, the USDA said in a release.

"Though they have experienced some decrease in appetite, the cats at the Bronx Zoo are otherwise doing well under veterinary care and are bright, alert, and interactive with their keepers. It is not known how this disease will develop in big cats since different species can react differently to novel infections, but we will continue to monitor them closely and anticipate full recoveries," the zoo's release said.

The zoo said the big cats were infected by a person caring for them who was either asymptomatic or had not yet developed symptoms.

"Appropriate preventive measures are now in place for all staff who are caring for them, and the other cats in our four WCS zoos, to prevent further exposure of any other of our zoo cats," the release said.

How does a tiger get a virus test when humans can't?

How do they go about swabbing a tiger's nasal passages?

Very, very carefully, and after they’ve eaten. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So BoJo now in intensive care as per every news outlet.  

I'm guessing that the statements made 2-3 weeks ago are all being walked back.

Hope he pulls through.  Nobody wants to see a human waste away like that, regardless of who they are.

Except Trump

Yup, I don't wish it on BoJo as he's not nearly the Trump-lite that he's made out to be.  I might not agree with his politics or like his personality, but I wouldn't wish that on him

The planet is better off with Trump dead and I have zero issues saying that.  We will all be better off when he's gone

• Hydration 2

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The cough is productive, thank goodness. Have been very fatigued today. Thanks sonoman. 

Drink a lot of water to make sure you have fluids in your body.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Doing my best. I’ll keep you informed. 

You and me both PB.  I was feeling better for a few days after a long three weeks, but today I'm back where I was last week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smokes said:

Drink a lot of water to make sure you have fluids in your body.

I am. Have a water cooler at home and have been drinking a lot. How’s life, smokes?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You and me both PB.  I was feeling better for a few days after a long three weeks, but today I'm back where I was last week.

I’m sorry to hear that, stawns. I hope that you get on the other side of this. We’ll fight this back. Take care, my friend. 

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, sonoman said:

37 still normal.  Dry cough, fever, SOB are most frequent symptoms.  Other symptoms point to flu or bad cold.  Take care of yourself and avoid Advil if you can. Tylenol best for fever reduction. 

I haven't had a cough and only a mild fever, but my lungs were on fire for two weeks, tons of phlegm and I was semi delirious in that time too........and fatigue

Edited by stawns

11 minutes ago, smokes said:

Good, the city is open again but people are still careful and moast are still staying home. Looks like it will be a while before things get back to normal. The train station and trains will start leaving Wuhan in a couple of days and we got the train tickets to bring my little girl home. So that is going to be a blessing. Now just praying for family and friends back in BC.

Finally. Happy to hear that you’ll be together again soon. Very, very happy for you, smokes. 

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Good luck to you there, Japan is an amazing place and i have no doubt people there will do whats needed. 

I am in an area close to Tokyo so while our numbers are low for us we are one of the areas targeted by the emergency declaration because of the obvious ties to Tokyo.  Anyway my kids have public school today - orientation.  Go figure. They are supposed to start full time tomorrow but that is now delayed.  They go back on the 14th to collect homework and then wait until the 20th.   My daughter acted like it was Christmas this morning.  

The Tokyo governor has targeted young people as not following the rules.  That is BS.  If you take a camera to a trendy area you will find young people.    Youth congregate in specific spots.  However if you go to a local shopping area it is all elderly.     The elderly here are very committed voters.  And of course you don't chastise older people in this country.   Youth here have been getting a bad rap.   Places like Harajuku have seen massive drops in visitors since early March.  It creeped back a few weeks ago but now it is dead.

A lot of the elderly here lived through the war and the post war period where most Japanese were starving to death at some point.  I think many elderly just don't understand what the gov't and health officials are saying.   I also think they don't care either cause they want to live their lives.  Japanese are very good at ignoring rules.  They are not a protesting country unless some lines are crossed, but if they don't like a rule they ignore it.  I hike on a trail that was messed up by a massive typhoon last year.  There are signs and tape everywhere telling people not to use it - I still do.  And so do a lot of elderly.  

It is one of the tricks I have learned in this country, if you don't like it ignore it, if you get caught pretend you didn't know and say sorry.  second time you get caught pretend you forgot and say sorry.  third time apologize and give an 'emotional reason' (hiking makes you happy and needed for your health) and then that's when you need to stop. After that they will for sure punish you.  Ignore, show ignorance, forget, use emotional reason to justify, and then finally stop.   Not sure that works in Canada, here it is standards operating procedure.

Edited by samurai
  • Hydration 2

41 minutes ago, smokes said:

Good, the city is open again but people are still careful and moast are still staying home. Looks like it will be a while before things get back to normal. The train station and trains will start leaving Wuhan in a couple of days and we got the train tickets to bring my little girl home. So that is going to be a blessing. Now just praying for family and friends back in BC.

That is great news. Any plans to return to BC? We have been seeing pics of tourist sites that are absolutely packed. That would make me nervous about a reboot. 

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

As a soon-to-be grad, I agree but also disagree with your statement there.

I'm sure a lot of us millenials spend a stupid amount of money on frivolous things, but that doesn't discount the fact that the cost of living has risen astronomically over the past 10-20 years. Personal finance decades ago is completely different than personal finance now. Debt is just an inevitable part of life for us now. 

Hi KHF

Don't get me wrong.....my comments are not just for Millenials…...lots of other people (including myself) spend money frivolously.  Lots of young people are very driven  

and I have a lot of respect for....

I am 62, when I started working I made 4.50 per hour, my first full time job was $750.00 per month before taxes. But, I lived in Nanaimo, which is a total different beast than Vancouver. House prices are almost double over there. But the money is better over there, and groceries are cheaper. In saying all that, we all decide where we live, for the most part, so I should not complain.

I just think everyone should tighten their budget when needed. Which includes old guys like me.

My RRSP stocks have fallen big time, and that made me cut back on what I take out monthly by the same % as my stocks went down. What will help in the end, and I am not spending as much right now, so I have no reason to complain right now.

I should add that I have not see anything in regards to that, and a lot of older people, might need some help in this regard, later on. But strangely, I do not hear too many complaining.

Don't get me wrong, again. I am on your side, and understand what you meant. I actually am elated by your comments, as it seems you have a very good grasp on reality, and you will not have any suprises. 

Iwish you and your family well. Good Point on the comments!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

As a soon-to-be grad, I agree but also disagree with your statement there.

I'm sure a lot of us millenials spend a stupid amount of money on frivolous things, but that doesn't discount the fact that the cost of living has risen astronomically over the past 10-20 years. Personal finance decades ago is completely different than personal finance now. Debt is just an inevitable part of life for us now. 

Just another comment on debt.

We were a poor family, and had a poor view of post grad education. Mostly we were jealous and never had the understanding of what education could bring. So we had no understanding of educational debt. Now, Mortgage debt, I totally got, and had from 27 years of age.

Too bad, I donated a large part of it to ex's. LOL But life goes on! And don't look back, unless it is to learn from your mistakes. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I haven't had a cough and only a mild fever, but my lungs were on fire for two weeks, tons of phlegm and I was semi delirious in that time too........and fatigue

Hope you’re on the mend.  It’s still a bit of a guessing game without more widespread testing.  It’s still technically “flu” season albeit it should be winding down now.  I’ve been ill myself for two weeks but just semi productive cough and fatigue.  Lots of sneezing as well ( not a COVID-19 symptom) but seasonal allergies are here soon. Be well Stawns