CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

Interesting read

Jinping is truly a deplorable piece of refuse. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Went back to work today for the first time in months, was pretty happy with the diligence they are taking with it considering at the mill a lot of us are fairly close quarters at times.  Being a pretty hard on safety it didn't surprise me that they were taking pretty tough stances if anyone feels sick, and just cleanliness in general.  It was nice to see.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It sounds like the government had their heads in the sand for a while and as a result allowed the public too much autonomy to keep transmission low. 

I mentioned recently in the thread in response to Sweden's strategy that culture norms absolutely come into play, and places like Sweden and Japan have greater social cohesion and thus a higher likelihood to do the right thing in general, which can keep transmission low, but this doesn't work everywhere and a massive outbreak can also still happen in places like Japan due to the very long incubation period and high transmissions rate. We're now likely seeing both Sweden and Japan pivot with their strategies.

The concern is relying on the public to do the right thing and hoping cities won't turn into NYC, but this is one of the debates going on: do you allow for greater freedoms and hope people do the right thing and then react if/when an outbreak happens, or is it better to be proactive and restrict freedoms in an effort to try and prevent it as best as possible from happening before it's too late? 

Also, I'm interested to hear the irony behind my profile pic and how he helped you adjust to life in Japan.

A the end of Feb. the gov't closed schools and asked people to stay home.  People did.  Businesses got hammered.  In Hokkaido at the same time they declared a state of emergency (they had the first spike) and people were told to stay home - they did.  Everything closed.   Not surprisingly, people wonder why the declaration was only announced after the very large snow festival they have every year which attracts millions including lots of Chinese tourists. There is speculation that it was a spreader.  That emergency lasted only 2 weeks about.  In this time weather got warmer and the gov't was fighting to keep the Olympics on.   End of March you have the cherry blossoms, end of the school year, and year end parties of all kinds - high school graduations. Not to mention the lifting of the state of e in the north So yes, there was a creeping back for sure.  I saw it.   

The Swedish approach I have never understood.  In the case of Japan you cannot look at their policy to date without the Olympics coming into play.   Korea was similar to Japan in that they did not lock down, but Korea went to widespread testing whereas Japan took the limited testing and tracking route which seemed suspect because for it to work you need to know that you have limited infections.  To date the results of the two paths are quite similar except now Japan has this problem in its main population centers which is not the case in Korea. 

As for my experience with Camus.  Well, it started with my move to Japan as a young adult and for the first time in my life being confronted with 'mass existence'.  You see quickly how insignificant you are and this is realized as least for me in a society that contains so many constraints, histories, and pressures that only compound it for someone not naturally cultured in it.  I am a Northern BC kid.  And you don't have access to their philosophers and so forth so you need to go ironically back out to get back in.  Camus was one of the writers I relied on.  He definitely helped, so did Kafka and Dostoevsky. Decades ago people used to come here and say it reminded them of Blade Runner.  Well, that is correct because Ripley Scott had Japanese cities in mind.   I do not know what new people feel now because Japan is a very different place than when I first came here.  Most of the young people who I knew when I first came here got really messed up from living here, I was no exception.  Many I knew left because they were having nervous breakdowns.   I think authors above and others as well helped me. 

I have lived in Euro as well.  I find that of the three  - Asia, Euro and North America - the places I know.  North Americans are the odd person out in terms of how we see are place in society.  Again this is just my impression.   Lots of young people do not study serious literature anymore and I think it is a serious mistake.  You won't find the answers on Twitter.

Edited by samurai
  • Upvote 1

Can a person get it more than once? 

Is there any definitive word on that? 

You won’t get a definitive word on this. The virus is only 3 months old and as a result there is a lot to learn and much we don’t know. But - the experts, ours included, have stated the risk of getting it a second time is low. I can’t remember her exact words (ie unlikely, extremely low, etc) but it’s generally accepted you’re not likely to get it again. So far. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's awesome.  Although I need new pillows, does this mean I should run out and get some now?

Coronavirus - "Boris Johnson is extremely sick"

Tue 7 Apr 2020 02:39:21 GMT

This is a piece from Sky with an opinion from Derek Hill, professor of medical imaging at University College London

Even without reading it its obvious Johnson is very ill indeed, no-one in an intensive care unit is well.

Hill says:
  • "One of the features of COVID-19 in all countries seems to be that many more men become seriously ill than women - especially in the over 40 age group.
  • "Also, we know that people under about 60 seem to have a higher chance of making a recovery from critical illness with COVID-19 than older people.
  • "But there is no doubt this turn of events means Boris Johnson is extremely sick."
Johnson is 55.

He was admitted to hospital on Sunday UK time and transferred to its ICU on Monday. 

Dominic Raab has taken the helm while Johnson is in hospital. 

---
Its going on towards 4am in London, we should get updated news on Johnson's health from about dawn in the UK. 

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Can a person get it more than once? 

Is there any definitive word on that? 

Ever catch a cold more than once in your life?

Cause the common cold is classified as a Coronavirus. 

Anyone betting on “herd immunity”, right now, might also want to take a serious look at Malaria drugs. They both have equal amounts of science backing them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That's awesome.  Although I need new pillows, does this mean I should run out and get some now?

Those aren't pillows!!!!

• Hydration 1

36 minutes ago, samurai said:

As for my experience with Camus.  Well, it started with my move to Japan as a young adult and for the first time in my life being confronted with 'mass existence'.  You see quickly how insignificant you are and this is realized as least for me in a society that contains so many constraints, histories, and pressures that only compound it for someone not naturally cultured in it.  I am a Northern BC kid.  And you don't have access to their philosophers and so forth so you need to go ironically back out to get back in.  Camus was one of the writers I relied on.  He definitely helped, so did Kafka and Dostoevsky. Decades ago people used to come here and say it reminded them of Blade Runner.  Well, that is correct because Ripley Scott had Japanese cities in mind.   I do not know what new people feel now because Japan is a very different place than when I first came here.  Most of the young people who I knew when I first came here got really messed up from living here, I was no exception.  Many I knew left because they were having nervous breakdowns.   I think authors above and others as well helped me. 

I have lived in Euro as well.  I was find that of the three  - Asia, Euro and North America - the places I know.  North Americans are the odd person out in terms of how we see are place in society.  Again this is just my impression.   Lots of young people do not study serious literature anymore and I think it is a serious mistake.  You won't find the answers on Twitter.

It is definitely too bad that not nearly as many people these days, young or old, read deep literature: "Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth." - Camus. He'll always be my favourite, and it's too bad he often gets misinterpreted and misunderstood for his ideas, as it will always be relevant: the world is still very much full of people committing philosophical suicide. It's, I find, a good reason for why so many people struggle spending so much time with themselves during this pandemic, because they're so used to living a life that's full of grasping for futile meaning in things like social media, so spending more time with their own thoughts can be very boring for lots of people, especially when they don't have any hobbies; and it's a large cause of the suffering that Dostoevsky wrote so much about as well.

I can see how Dostoyevsky would be quite the read moving to a place like Japan and the culture shock that you must've experienced and the suffering that can happen with being so small in such a large place. Notes from Underground, especially, was likely on your list. You've probably - hopefully - read some Murakami, I imagine? He's arguably the absolute best at putting the mirror up to Japanese culture and the effect that the war had on the country and the subsequent oppressed memories that the society just moved on with, yet without really ever talking about what happened, as if it never happened. But he also has a way of striking a chord with young people in Japan. 

This all does, in a way, explain why Japan has so few C-19 cases compared to the US. It's the social cohesion I spoke about earlier. Japan has the "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down" type of mentality whereas the US has the "Don't tell me what to do" type of individualist way. And it really is too bad that a lot of young people in the US especially don't read deep literature, because they still have some of the best reads out there. I just finished JR by William Gaddis, a total book of chaos, and it really says everything anyone needs to know about how US culture got to where it is today - hint: putting a higher value on greed and wealth and the stockmarket compared to art. Before that it was White Noise by Don Delillo, which even has an airborne toxic event occur in it, and if you can pick up a copy of it (or anyone reading this post right now), do it and read it during this pandemic. It says a lot about where US culture is today. Lastly, speaking of pandemic reads, The Plague by Camus, anyone? 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Ever catch a cold more than once in your life?

Cause the common cold is classified as a Coronavirus. 

Anyone betting on “herd immunity”, right now, might also want to take a serious look at Malaria drugs. They both have equal amounts of science backing them.

So, those people in China rushing to the tourist areas is as dumb as it gets. 

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)

So far 72% of deceased people in Chicago from covid 19 are black.

Milwaukee is reporting similar numbers, I would imagine Louisiana, Mississippi and New York are the same.

Poverty, health, proper nutrition, medical care etc. are contributing factors for sure.

But the federal government have sent us 550k n95 masks, state of Illinois has purchased 9.85 million on its own.

So next time when you get the urge to blow up the system and take it down because it’s all the same.

Ask yourself a question, was voting for Trump worth it?
If you answered yes to this question, eat a gigantic bag of dicks! 

Edited by CBH1926
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

So, those people in China rushing to the tourist areas is as dumb as it gets. 

Dumb like this couple here, but unfortunately not the only ones 

• Hydration 3