CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

On 1/21/2020 at 11:16 AM, kurtis said:

Image result for contagious movie

Decent movie.  Just watched it. 

I think so far China is taking the right steps sealing off the city.  That method will never fly in N America.  There will be mass riots and protests.  At least Chinese are used to that form of government and so far it seem like they citizens are complying. 

Canada is well trained from the SARS experience, which is the same family of virus but different strain.  Take this from a health professional. 

All the anger and racism comes out when you get these types of outbreaks. The title of the OP article says it all. "Chinese virus". Lmao. As though a virus has a passport or some kind of race specific tropoism.  When Mad Cow disease and CJD came out, no one called it the English brain disease. Or American/White man hamburger illness with the E coli outbreak. 

Unless you live in a bunker or stop all trade, make your crap iPhone yourselves, global spread of infectious diseases will be more common in the future. This needs to be tackled globally.  Destruction of forests, contacts with wild animals or eating exotic bush meat etc, air travel, are all problems to that need to be dealt with. 

Edited by Jaimito

This Coronavirus is definitely worse than SARS.

I just learnt that the father of my Sister in law's sister in law has died from it.

All it took was 2 weeks.

52 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sounds like maybe time to buy some gold too

Silver is better to barter with.  

Hard to get change for a bar of gold if you're trying to exchange for a loaf of bread.  

30 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Silver is better to barter with.  

Hard to get change for a bar of gold if you're trying to exchange for a loaf of bread.  

I bought supplies lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Decent movie.  Just watched it. 

I think so far China is taking the right steps sealing off the city.  That method will never fly in N America.  There will be mass riots and protests.  At least Chinese are used to that form of government and so far it seem like they citizens are complying. 

Canada is well trained from the SARS experience, which is the same family of virus but different strain.  Take this from a health professional. 

All the anger and racism comes out when you get these types of outbreaks. The title of the OP article says it all. "Chinese virus". Lmao. As though a virus has a passport or some kind of race specific tropoism.  When Mad Cow disease and CJD came out, no one called it the English brain disease. Or American/White man hamburger illness with the E coli outbreak. 

Unless you live in a bunker or stop all trade, make your crap iPhone yourselves, global spread of infectious diseases will be more common in the future. This needs to be tackled globally.  Destruction of forests, contacts with wild animals or eating exotic bush meat etc, air travel, are all problems to that need to be dealt with. 

I think it's important to identify "China" (not "Chinese") because that's where it's originating from and is useful information.  It's not a matter of "not offending" anyone when you're trying to eliminate the spread of disease.

And mad cow wasn't threatening people...it was contained to the animals for the most part.

So it's not racism to identify a country in an attempt to quickly raise awareness.  I really hate that "racism" gets thrown out so easily because it perpetuates it more than anything.

My coworker just told me he was invited snowboarding with a friend who is from...Wuhan.  Just left there.  If we hadn't been discussing the virus "in China" he wouldn't have known because he doesn't watch the news, etc.

My boss just went and bought 2 boxes of N95 masks (at a local junk store)...they sold them to him (2 different kinds) for $29.99/box.  I just called to see if they'd hold one for me...guy said "oh, that price was a mistake and they're $120.00/box".  Gouger.  Won't ever go to that store.

• Burr 2

We eat lot of processed unhealthy crap in North America for sure.

But man, some of this weird nasty $&!# that Chinese eat.

I am not saying this outbreak started because of if but it’s not helping for sure.

• Upvote 3

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-information-crackdown-on-wuhan-coronavirus-2020-1

As the Wuhan coronavirus death toll rose to at least 18 on Thursday, the Chinese government is facing questions over its vice grip on the flow of information in the early days of the outbreak.

In early January, Wuhan police said they had arrested eight people for spreading "rumors" about what was then a mysterious pneumonia causing serious complications in patients.

When the coronavirus made national headlines, more and more journalists started reporting being detained or threatened with arrest by Chinese authorities while reporting on the outbreak.

The Wuhan outbreak immediately hearkened back to the SARS epidemic in the early 2000s, which the Chinese government tried to cover up. The two viruses are in the same family, which also includes the common cold and pneumonia, but Wuhan so far is much milder than SARS.

China virus death toll mounts to 25, infections spread

BEIJING (Reuters) - A new coronavirus has killed 25 people in China and infected more than 800, the government said on Friday, as the World Health Organization declared it an emergency but stopped short of declaring the epidemic of international concern.

China’s National Health Commission said 830 cases had been confirmed so far and 25 people had died as of Thursday. Most of the cases are in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus is believed to have originated late last year.

Non-fatal cases have been found in at least seven other countries.

Health officials fear the transmission rate could accelerate as hundreds of millions of Chinese travel at home and abroad during week-long holidays for the Lunar New Year, which begins on Saturday.

Nonetheless, it was a “bit too early” to consider the outbreak a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern,” WHO Emergency Committee panel chair Didier Houssin said after the body met in Geneva. Such a designation would have required countries to step up the international response.

“Make no mistake, though, this is an emergency in China,” said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

“It has not yet become a global health emergency. It may yet become one,” he said.

Scrambling to contain the outbreak, the local government in Wuhan, a city of 11 million people in Hubei province, suspended most transport on Thursday, including outgoing flights, and people were told not to leave. Hours later, neighboring Huanggang, a city of about 7 million people, announced similar measures.

“The lockdown of 11 million people is unprecedented in public health history,” said Gauden Galea, the WHO’s representative in Beijing.

The organization said, however, that it was not yet recommending any broader restrictions on travel or trade.

The previously unknown virus strain is believed to have emerged from illegally traded wildlife at an animal market in Wuhan.

It has created alarm because there are a number of unknowns surrounding it. It is too early to know just how dangerous it is and how easily it spreads between people.

There is no vaccine for the virus, which can spread through respiratory transmission. Symptoms include fever, difficulty breathing and coughing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health/china-virus-death-toll-mounts-to-25-infections-spread-idUSKBN1ZM087

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You live in Wuhan?

Yeah, been here for a while now

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

Is it as bad as social media is showing.  Or is it contained and nothing to see here as authorities are trying to claim??

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Is it as bad as social media is showing.  Or is it contained and nothing to see here as authorities are trying to claim??

It's calmed down a lot. The people in the city are all at home and only going out for food. Even then they just go and get back as quickly as possible. All public transportation and ways in and out of the city are shut down. The hospitals from social media here shows that they are full and a little chaotic there but in the city, people are bunkered up with family at home. So just waiting it out.

13 minutes ago, smokes said:

It's calmed down a lot. The people in the city are all at home and only going out for food. Even then they just go and get back as quickly as possible. All public transportation and ways in and out of the city are shut down. The hospitals from social media here shows that they are full and a little chaotic there but in the city, people are bunkered up with family at home. So just waiting it out.

Well stay safe out there

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well stay safe out there

:metal:

All the best, smokes....hope this turns out well for you.  Must be kind of scary to see things come to a shutdown?

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

All the best, smokes....hope this turns out well for you.  Must be kind of scary to see things come to a shutdown?

It's a little scary but I'm in an apartment full of expats so we are all getting together in our apartments. The people here are still celebrating the Spring Festival at home as if nothing is happening so we are taking a cue from the locals to do the same. 

CDC confirms a second US case of coronavirus

Fri 24 Jan 2020 15:14:47 GMT

CDC also says 63 patients in 22 states are under investigation for coronavirus infection. They said 11 have tested negative so far and two have been confirmed positive.
Edited by nuckin_futz

8 hours ago, smokes said:

Stay safe, smokes. I can't imagine what that must be like there. What is the deal there, from your perspective? I hope all is well with you and that this is contained soon.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Stay safe, smokes. I can't imagine what that must be like there. What is the deal there, from your perspective? I hope all is well with you and that this is contained soon.

It's not too bad where I am but the hospitals are filling up. The government here has started work on building a new hospital from the ground up. They said the new hospital will be built within 6 days so it can handle this virus specifically. There is now a province wide lockdown so all the neighboring cities as well as Wuhan has no more trains or airplanes coming in. All highways to get in at out of the major cities in the province are now closed. So we are all incubated in our homes. From what I have seen from the people of the city, all are pretty much reserved to being quarantined at home and monitoring what is going on from the internet. Only time people are going out is for food. So it's ok right now.