CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we have companies that are global leaders in mining, energy and agricultural production. We have global leaders in IT and finance, as well as in pharma R&D. we have companies leading in green tech. And we also happen to be ranked #1 or close to it in every study on quality of life. 

Maybe you have a different idea of leadership? we're only 37 million people but we consistently punch above our weight in most areas and lead in others. Just because someone has a giant foam finger and yells 'we're #1' doesn't make it so. 

I'm curious what your idea of leadership is 

I was referring to leadership in bigger policy areas, such as climate change or human rights, and not with companies being industry leaders. 

Let's kick in with some positives....

Who's cooking a turkey this weekend?

Who's drinkn? Sounds like we are day drinking on the deck...just the two of us. No invites.

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Who's drinkn? Sounds like we are day drinking on the deck...just the two of us. No invites.

We've had a ham in the freezer begging to be cooked.  Wife looked for a turkey but didn't see the deals there normally where around this time.  Plus there were only big turkeys left...probably because the extended family dinner isn't happening.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We've had a ham in the freezer begging to be cooked.  Wife looked for a turkey but didn't see the deals there normally where around this time.  Plus there were only big turkeys left...probably because the extended family dinner isn't happening.

Prime rib for this guy

And alchohol. Mass amounts of alchohol. I'm on shutdown for a week and I work in the booze industry. You math it out.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Hydration 1

17 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

It brings up the issue of consumerism and how we treat cheap goods as disposal.  If a broom costs $50 instead of $10, wouldn't we take care of it much better and make it last longer?  Most of our common household items are so cheap that we trash them and get new ones regularly

There are some goods though where technology and obsolescence makes that hard.

If I pay $50 for a broom, it had better be the last broom I ever buy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I said this earlier in the thread, but I think it's still valid....

I don't see why people are so determined to pass blame on the WHO, or their political representatives. Certainly there have been politicians deliberately spreading disinformation and I myself have been quick to criticize them.

However the 20/20 hindsight and criticism of organizations like the WHO for not predicting the future and believing the numbers supplied by bad actors just seems so counter productive to me.

Right from the get-go, we were told this could be serious and that we should isolate if returning from overseas, stay home if sick, refrain from gathering in groups, wash your hands and maintain social distancing.....what more did you need to know? Would knowing the exact numbers have made you act differently?

It shouldn't have. We all had all the information we needed.

If the WHO reported the real numbers right away, or stated that China's numbers were suspicious (rather than saying they were accurate), other nations could have acted more quickly in stopping the spread, realizing that the threat was greater than reported.

There were plenty of outlets stating that this wasn't a big deal back in winter, to live your normal lives, that this only affected the elderly, and so on. While many people know not to believe everything the media says, there are plenty of people who do. So no, not everyone had all the information they needed from the get-go.

Point is, the WHO should be held accountable, as should any politician that's done a poor job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well before I was assigned working from home I got TP at IGA. Got one 12pack. In the two times I've been to either Safeway, Save On Foods, or even London Drugs.

Their shelves are still empty. Maybe I have to shop the smaller stores. 

Costco is full up with TP.

• Hydration 1

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't see why people are so determined to pass blame on the WHO, or their political representatives. Certainly there have been politicians deliberately spreading disinformation and I myself have been quick to criticize them.

However the 20/20 hindsight and criticism of organizations like the WHO for not predicting the future and believing the numbers supplied by bad actors just seems so counter productive to me.

Right from the get-go, we were told this could be serious and that we should isolate if returning from overseas, stay home if sick, refrain from gathering in groups, wash your hands and maintain social distancing.....what more did you need to know? Would knowing the exact numbers have made you act differently?

WHO Posts from early and mid January.

0C8260C6-C48A-4BED-8C82-F3335CE65553.thumb.jpeg.76bf858f757dbfae76631556df6012a0.jpeg8E430B94-87E2-437B-9DC7-A3935BC17136.thumb.jpeg.1adb8e4022f26342929b0c543cc21798.jpeg

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Also China can stop being global factory, other countries can slowly start becoming supply chain.

To me it always made more sense to invest in Mexico and Central America.

Plus improving their countries will reduce overall immigration cost.

India is another possible one.  They have their own issues as well though but I agree, it makes sense not to have so many eggs in one basket.  We already have manufacturing in places like Vietnam, Indonesia etc..  Don't see why we can't expand our facilities elsewhere.

56 minutes ago, BPA said:

Probably because diarrhea is a possible symptom of Covid-19.   So more trips to the toilet = more toilet paper used.

No it is not.

As a Math teacher, I would sometime ask my students, "How many can program a computer?". I very rarely had no more than or two of thirty students. I today's age, it is an important thing to learn for four reasons (1) It helps expand your ability to work with logic, (2) It gives you the ability to work with some software such as programming Microsoft Excel, (3) It could make you more valuable in whatever job you might get into, (4) It could lead to a future career.

With students at home now, maybe looking for something to do, now is a good time to start learning. There are many sites on the internet that teach you how to code. You can learn on your own, you don't necessarily have to take a course.  Just a thought. Works for adults too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No it is not.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid-19-symptoms#1

Common Symptoms

According to information gathered from researchers in China, the most comon symptoms among people who had COVID-19 include:

• Fever 83%-99%
  • Cough 59%-82%
  • Fatigue 44%-70%
  • Lack of appetite 40%-84%
  • Shortness of breath 31%-40%
  • Mucus/phlegm 28%-33%
  • Body aches 11%-35%

Symptoms usually begin 2 to 14 days after you come into contact with the virus.

Other symptoms may include:

If you have any of these symptoms, isolate yourself. This means staying away from other people as much as possible, even members of your family. Stay in a specific “sick room,” and use a separate bathroom if you can. If you have symptoms and are at high risk of complications because of your age or other health conditions, call your doctor in addition to isolating yourself."

24 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Homemade pierogi pizza for us :metal:

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Mr Orange, you know the narcissist, his favorite thing is to pass the blame on anything onto somebody else.  It's one of the things that narcissists do.  The fact remains that after Sars, Pres Bush set up a system that could react quickly to a pandemic.  And I saw a tweet that Obama had a detailed plan in place.  Obviously, the measures that were in place were scrubbed by the Great Pumpkin.

I'm not locating the tweet that I'm referring to but here's something by Chris Lu, former White House Cabinet Secretary under Obama.  The point is, there was no lack of information for POTUS

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Hydration 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Sadly, I wish this was true but it's not.

Many fit people are falling ill and some are dying.  So it's a bit of a false hope thing...I, too, believe being fit helps (obviously it boosts the immune system, etc.).  But it isn't a guarantee.  

But fitness also is very good for the mental aspect of things and can be a great distraction and coping mechanism.

Yeah I know. The worst part is I cringe as to how I would have acted 10 years ago.

I guess I'm terrified even though I still think I would beat it at 46 (maybe not asthma complications)... I live with my dad and he means everything to me.

For a person like me it means everything. I can be on 3 inhalers one week and I can't breathe through my nose or get off a chair, and then voila I'm running 5 km in 25 min and breathing like a Swedish Grouse champion.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid-19-symptoms#1

Common Symptoms

According to information gathered from researchers in China, the most comon symptoms among people who had COVID-19 include:

• Fever 83%-99%
  • Cough 59%-82%
  • Fatigue 44%-70%
  • Lack of appetite 40%-84%
  • Shortness of breath 31%-40%
  • Mucus/phlegm 28%-33%
  • Body aches 11%-35%

Symptoms usually begin 2 to 14 days after you come into contact with the virus.

Other symptoms may include:

If you have any of these symptoms, isolate yourself. This means staying away from other people as much as possible, even members of your family. Stay in a specific “sick room,” and use a separate bathroom if you can. If you have symptoms and are at high risk of complications because of your age or other health conditions, call your doctor in addition to isolating yourself."

Exactly my point...thanks.

Diarrhea is so low down on the possible list of symptoms they don't even put a % on it.

So it is basically not related to covid at all.

Edit: it makes the toilet paper hoarders look like complete idiots.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

i agree

there is so much deflection going on

why would anyone trust china's reporting anyway

why is WHO responsible for china's reporting accuracy

usa had their own security reports on china's virus outbreak

that is who they should have relied on

they are much more sophisticated then WHO

and guess what

a small jurisdiction like bc

was able to effectively navigate this pandemic

in the face of misinformation

how can bc do that?

and the usa cannot?

our representatives must be super intelligent :P

get real all those people who want to blame WHO

if china misreported data

there are mechanisms to deal with china

which do not involve WHO

why throw the baby out with the bathwater

the world needs WHO to deal with disease control

Edited by coastal.view
  • Hydration 1

28 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think I can pull off a turkey or ham. The basics are to cook long but keep moisturized .... by covering it up with spices, garlic, and pineapple and any kind of soup or gravy you can find.

A noice scotch would be noice!

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Exactly my point...thanks.

Diarrhea is so low down on the possible list of symptoms they don't even put a % on it.

So it is basically not related to covid at all.

You were wrong, just take the loss as a learning experience.

• Haha 3