CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

48 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

There are more components of athleticism in golf then there are in sports such as distance running, or any track event for that matter.

Haha yeah ok.

Agree to disagree. A long distance runner is an actual athlete. A golfer?  Not so much haha.

ath·let·i·cism

1. the physical qualities that are characteristic of athletes, such as strength, fitness, and agility.
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha yeah ok.

Agree to disagree. A long distance runner is an actual athlete. A golfer?  Not so much haha.

ath·let·i·cism

1. the physical qualities that are characteristic of athletes, such as strength, fitness, and agility.

Are you telling me it doesn't take strength and agility to make a ball go far?

Perhaps shooting a puck into the back of the net isn't athleticism either? It's kind of the same idea if you think about it.

Just because they walk instead of run doesn't mean it doesn't involve some sort of hand-eye coordination (which absolutely falls into the definition you gave).

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agree strongly with your post and I hope it works out for you.

A couple on here need to reign in their opinions about everyone staying home when they don't know others situations.

I was the one that was saying that parents should be raising their own children.  However I was referring to our society as it is currently setup. I was not bashing him for living with the way things currently are. 

• Hydration 1

Haha yeah ok.

ath·let·i·cism

I said "more" components of athleticism than running. Marathon runners have better aerobic fitness than a professional golfer, but the golfer is stronger, more powerful, more mobile/flexible, and has better hand eye coordination. I would also argue that golf involves much more 'skill' than being a marathon runner.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

I miss my visits to Vancouver.... I love that beautiful city... I was born there but now live in PG. please take of care of the most beautiful city on the planet. 

The North remembers :wub:

Edited by Canorth
  • Hydration 2

Haha yeah ok.

ath·let·i·cism

Please go tell Tiger Woods straight to his face that he's not an athlete

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Athlete 

image.thumb.png.519661f00f54a19ff62493376ced42bf.png

image.png

Here's the thing...you don't have to be a physical specimen or even particularly athletic to participate in..athletics.

"Sports" are competitive games/events to me but should involve some form of "movement" as well as skill.  Which is why I feel golf is a sport/athletic event but poker really is not.  Poker involves stamina and endurance but no real physical exertion.  Golf - you're swinging/moving, walking long distances.  

That's my two cents.  And off topic in Covid is sometimes not a bad thing?  Momentary reprieves from the arguing and going around in circles.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Are you telling me it doesn't take strength and agility to make a ball go far?

Perhaps shooting a puck into the back of the net isn't athleticism either? It's kind of the same idea if you think about it.

Just because they walk instead of run doesn't mean it doesn't involve some sort of hand-eye coordination (which absolutely falls into the definition you gave).

Chess also involves hand-eye coordination... lol

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tiger Woods isn't considered an athlete?  :lol:

Some of you really need to start going outside a little bit and enjoy the sunshine...

Pfftt... 

spacer.png

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Honestly, there could be a valid argument there too. For example, there's a reason why the term "e-sports" exists. ;)

That being said, I can see where there has to be a line drawn. lol

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Me_ said:

True but it doesn't alter the outcome of chess.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So does bowling.

I have always felt that since curling is in the winter Olympics, bowling should be a summer Olympic event. I would totally try out for that team.

• Vintage 1

I really think people who think being an athlete is about just doing things like running really don't do these other activities.

It's about the same mentality as people who think animals don't have personalities.

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Vancouver is the best city on the planet.

In fact the way team Canada was treated by Vancouver fans could have given the team the motivation they needed. 

You sleep through the 2010 olympics? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I can see governments, cdc, who, etc ramming this through as quickly as possible.

The process is there to ensure safety and save lives. They might want to ram it through but the CDC and WHO are scientific organizations and won't cut corners just to make politicians happy. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

So does bowling.

I have always felt that since curling is in the winter Olympics, bowling should be a summer Olympic event. I would totally try out for that team.

I'm in!

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You sleep through the 2010 olympics? 

He's talking about the '72 Team Canada....

• Thanks 1