CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wet market is like a farmers market where floors are hosed down each day.

Not all wet markets in Asia sell wild / exotic  animals....

Be careful in your generalizations. 

Sorry, didn't get to read your post before I posted.  Great minds think alike

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

What's funny is that most people do not know what the true definition of a wet market really is.  Most people just think of a market selling live bats or some other exotic wild animal when the definition is simply this:

image.png.5f63627ae966392883368ba1ac9117d8.png

I mean we have wet markets in T&T.  Also Pike Place market in Seattle could be considered one as well.

Granville Island has a wet market

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I didn't even say they were the same.  I said we are all one color, a hyperbole, meaning we need to be treated equally lol.  You know this, you're just trying to argue.

People failed at calling me out for my facts(that were all suported by scientific data) so who really were you guys trying to call out?  Me or the scientists?   The fact I was being called out for trying to bring health to the forefront is ridiculous anyways, and it's pretty evident that people just have a bone to pick with me.  Nothing I was providing was negative or hurtful but people kept trying to shut it down, cause they're/you're bored.   

I'm gonna pull up some quotes.  Hold my vitamin water 

Colour and race isn’t the same. We’re not all one colour; hyperbole or not.

We’re genetically less than 1% different from one another. The homo sapien sapien is the only humanoid race left on this Earth.

But the shades of humanity (colour) is wide ranging.

Edited by Me_
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Toews said:

That shouldn't be good enough. This is the CCP we are talking about, if they can put millions of Uyghurs in camps then they can stop these wet markets. The biggest issue I have with Adams' tweet is that he should have specified that he was referring to the Chinese government and not the Chinese people.

I agree. Stricter rules about space between sellers, types of meat, sanitation, etc....One problem is that he should have included the worst of the factory farming practices in the West as well.  Mad Cow anyone? But it doesn't mean he is wrong about the crowded wet markets, mixing wild and domestic animals, in Asian markets as well.  I'm from the left spectrum of the political tent, but this PC overreaction is so cowardly and stupid.  Of course Adams should have realized how it would come off. But it doesn't negate his concerns about unsafe practices in those markets. Understandably fuelled by his strong vegan beliefs. 

It is so damn easy to pull out the 'racist' card for PC points. After the avian flu, SARS and others in the past, nothing has been done about those breeding ground markets. They are shielded from doing anything by holding up the racist card each time. And nothing will change now either, get ready for the next one down the pike,  because everyone is afraid to be ostracized like Adams if they dare suggest it.  I hope that all over the planet we can now re-examine how we house, and sell, animals for consumption, no matter what country or race.

Just to add, reading the story on the blog VancouverIsAwesome, this comment under it:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/events-and-entertainment/opinion-bryan-adams-issues-non-apology-for-tweet-deemed-racist-2344166

Being a Chinese-Canadian Vancouver guy and a big fan of Bryan myself, I *agree* with his tweet - maybe the bat-eating isn't factual - but I have personally seen some of those "wet markets" in China and other Asian cities stuffed with all manner of live creatures and my first impression as a western citizen scientist and photographer was that had to be some fertile breeding grounds for all kinds of weird diseases.

• Like 3

Bryan Adams hasn't written a decent song in at least 20 years... if ever. People shouldn't be surprised that he also has difficulty communicating on Twitter. His tweet was poorly worded but if you look at his tweet history it is quite clear he was reacting to the mistreatment of animals and not to a particular race. 

• Thanks 3
  • Burr 1

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Bryan Adams hasn't written a decent song in at least 20 years... if ever. People shouldn't be surprised that he also has difficulty communicating on Twitter. His tweet was poorly worded but if you look at his tweet history it is quite clear he was reacting to the mistreatment of animals and not to a particular race. 

Fits You Good was the only one I ever liked.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

All I remember is being in like grade 4 and learning that Bryan Adams sued the CDN government (or something like that) because 'Summer of '69' was not considered a "Canadian Song" and thus wouldn't regularly be played on the radio because it didn't fit Canadian content laws. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And here is a great new article by Rolling Stone on the same topic with a detailed timeline.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/covid-19-test-trump-admin-failed-disaster-995930/

• Hydration 1

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I always liked Remember.

We're actually reviving that one in my band. Almost have the synth solo down....

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

She's doing the "attract more flies with honey than vinegar" through this.  And it's worked to some degree ... she'd rather not use an authoritarian stance from what I understand. 

But even IF they lived together, according to her, they were still supposed to "social distance in public".   Because we just don't know if we have this or not and being in close proximity in groups is how we gets outbreaks.  

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you need to social distance in public if you're all from the same household? It's pointless except for appearance sake.

• Hydration 3

Parks opened yesterday. Finally get to see my daughter play around other kids, for a change. So awesome! Great to see all these kids so happy after months of being locked up with their boring parents.

• Hydration 4

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Transit police seek suspect who grabbed, kicked, punched woman following racist comments

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/transit-police-seek-suspect-who-grabbed-kicked-punched-woman-following-racist-comments/ar-BB13ZllK?li=ca')%26%24orderby%3d'displayPublishedDateTime'+desc&ocid=iehp

On April 15, a man boarded a bus at Main and East Hastings, followed a short time later by two Asian woman who wore protective masks.

Const. Mike Yake with the Transit Police said the man then directed his attention toward the two Asian woman and allegedly made a comment to the effect of, “Go back to your own country, that’s where it all began.”

“During this time, there was a woman who was sitting across from the man and she simply told the man to leave the two women alone,” said Yake.

The suspect then began arguing with and threatening the woman who intervened, before kicking her in the leg. When the woman stood up to defend herself, the suspect allegedly grabbed “a significant amount of hair” and ripped it from the woman’s scalp before punching her multiple times, wrestling her to the floor of the bus and pinning her down.

“Thankfully, she was able to fight back and get the suspect off her,” said Yake. “He ran out of the bus and was last seen in the area of Commercial Drive and East Hastings.”

The victim, who is not Asian, was bruised on her leg and suffered a scalp injury.

There's a picture of the perp.

To my Asian friends/people out there, be careful out there as the nut jobs are out in full force.

Kudos to the lady who sought to stop the bullying.  Sad that she was hurt in the process.

EDIT:  I notice that most of the verbal and physical attacks are against women and the elderly.  Bunch of cowards.  Try saying **** to an adult Asian male.  Preferably one that knows some martial arts (:))

There's video of this guy in the link. You never get a close enough view of what's written on his hat, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say it looks familiar....

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There's video of this guy in the link. You never get a close enough view of what's written on his hat, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say it looks familiar....

Anyone with information about the man is asked to contact the Transit Police tip line by phone at 604-516-7419 or by text to 87-77-77 and cite File No. 2020-7645.

28 minutes ago, kilgore said:

And here is a great new article by Rolling Stone on the same topic with a detailed timeline.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/covid-19-test-trump-admin-failed-disaster-995930/

"Why did it take so long?" 
I got two words, pride and ignorance.  

Oh I forgot this post wasn't only about Trump.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

"Why did it take so long?" 
I got two words, pride and ignorance.  

Oh I forgot this post wasn't only about Trump.  

Pretty sure that the title of Kid Rock's latest album....

...and among the negative stories surrounding this Pandemic, are stories of some pretty awesome people.....like this guy in Kansas:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/us/kansas-farmer-cuomo-honorary-degree-trnd/?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

When Gov. Andrew Cuomo held up a letter and N-95 mask sent to him by a retired Kansas farmer, he called it humanity at its best.

"If you could, would you please give this mask to a nurse or doctor in your state?" read the March letter from Dennis Ruhnke.
Now, Ruhnke has been given a bachelor's degree from his state.
"Dennis' kindness and lifelong career in agriculture make him more than qualified to receive a degree," Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly said in a Facebook post.
Kelly and Kansas State University President Richard Myers presented Ruhnke with the degree Tuesday during a ceremony.

More in the link, including Cuomo's Tweet....
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you need to social distance in public if you're all from the same household? It's pointless except for appearance sake.

Mostly because people get the message it's ok not to when they can't distinguish between groups.

Also...if someone in the bubble is asymptomatic and you're sitting on a blanket together in close proximity you risk sharing it more so than if you social distance.  

As of May 8:  The government’s new catchphrase is “few faces and big spaces.”