CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

@The 5th Line Canada has only been implementing safety measures such as non essential closures and social distancing while quarantining high risk individuals since mid march, for 2 months.

Looking at death rates and coming up with a hypothesis is the most naive approach one can take. If safety measures aren't in place, it affects multiple relationships. The death rate may be low, however, the disease increases exponentially. With the exponential increase, that death rate becomes more deadly. With more individuals becoming sick, the capacity at hospitals becomes lower, with less having access to help, the death rate increases. Along with this, other variables can be affected such as healthcare workers becoming sick which also lessens how many individuals can be helped, etc. The economy in my opinion would be worse off if shutdowns did not occur because eventually everything would be shut down and recovery would take longer from a lower point.

Flattening the curve is crucial, there is no argument. Saving every single life possible is important. You cannot argue an accident or heart disease against something like this. This is a contagious disease and being selfish can harm others, not just yourself. It has preventable measures to minimize its impact and it is our duty to ensure everyones safety around us. People of all ages have died around the world because of COVID, we are blessed that we have great control in BC, but that doesn't mean we should underestimate how bad it can get. 

And cases have been located here longer than 2 months and still has been no deaths involving children or people under the age of 19 

I understand.  An outbreak is inevitable I'm not disputing that, but does it matter if we allow the outbreak to happen in June as opposed to September?  What is the difference other than we have our economy shut down that much longer, people in isolation that much longer becoming mentally ill etc etc

I would argue now with the evidence of sunlight and vitamin d that it's actually more appropriate letting the outbreak happen sooner rather than later.  People shouldn't be quarantined during summer

Edited by The 5th Line
  • Confused 1

I need some help from you wise people on this thread. And I'm not being sarcastic, I think so many of you really have your head screwed on right. I just stepped into a cess pool. I bumped into a Tweet from an Italian lady in parliament asking for a warrant to be put out on Bill Gates, as she seems to think this is all his fault. Then I looked at the replies to this, and I just fell into this whole other side of conspiracy theories, quoting doctors and studies and patents, and coincidences. They even are blaming Andrew Yang as saying he dropped out of the American Democratic race because his Guaranteed Basic Income (GBI) was not going to fly. But he did it at the same time COVID-19 started up and forced many onto a GBI. So obviously it was him who started it!  What really scared me were the supporters of these conspiracy theories. It reminded me about when I read a book on the flat-earthers. Anyway, thanks for listening, I just am blown away by what some people are thinking. I think I'm all right now....

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I need some help from you wise people on this thread. And I'm not being sarcastic, I think so many of you really have your head screwed on right. I just stepped into a cess pool. I bumped into a Tweet from an Italian lady in parliament asking for a warrant to be put out on Bill Gates, as she seems to think this is all his fault. Then I looked at the replies to this, and I just fell into this whole other side of conspiracy theories, quoting doctors and studies and patents, and coincidences. They even are blaming Andrew Yang as saying he dropped out of the American Democratic race because his Guaranteed Basic Income (GBI) was not going to fly. But he did it at the same time COVID-19 started up and forced many onto a GBI. So obviously it was him who started it!  What really scared me were the supporters of these conspiracy theories. It reminded me about when I read a book on the flat-earthers. Anyway, thanks for listening, I just am blown away by what some people are thinking. I think I'm all right now....

It's really something isn't it?

I'm hearing a lot of about 5G too. I remember a couple years ago learning that countries, like the US,that were way behind in implementing 5G would start slipping in global influence ..and technological supremacy.

Is it a surprise that now conspiracy theories have it that 5G has radiation?etc..etc..

Beware the rabbit holes. This false info and manipulation out there is how a con man was able to sneak into the whitehouse. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

"French Education minister Jean-Michel Blanquer sounded the alarm Monday, telling French radio RTL that the return has put some children in new danger of contamination." https://thestar.com/amp/news/world/europe/2020/05/18/70-cases-of-covid-19-at-french-schools-days-after-re-opening.html?li_source=LI&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3mfolOEKMdWEJVylVNb3iRBKD0U5lSxKr2_tFBj8Oo-KtYH0zISHDW93U

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

"French Education minister Jean-Michel Blanquer sounded the alarm Monday, telling French radio RTL that the return has put some children in new danger of contamination." https://thestar.com/amp/news/world/europe/2020/05/18/70-cases-of-covid-19-at-french-schools-days-after-re-opening.html?li_source=LI&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3mfolOEKMdWEJVylVNb3iRBKD0U5lSxKr2_tFBj8Oo-KtYH0zISHDW93U

Well duh, putting kids back in school puts them all in danger of contamination.  You too are missing the bigger picture, we can't just lock down forever because kids(who don't die) get sick.  

You refuse to answer simple questions.  Say we lock down until September, then first week of school let's say a school in Vancouver shows a break-out of like 5 students getting Covid-19 which is pretty likely, what do we do then?  Shut everything down again?  Start all over?  

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I'm curious as to what is your expectations are for kids returning to school in June (voluntary with likely less kids) and September (mandatory with more kids).  

So far (I think) it will have a mix of in-class and online classes. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Well duh, putting kids back in school puts them all in danger of contamination.  You too are missing the bigger picture, we can't just lock down forever because kids(who don't die) get sick.  

You refuse to answer simple questions.  Say we lock down until September, then first week of school let's say a school in Vancouver shows a break-out of like 5 students getting Covid-19 which is pretty likely, what do we do then?  Shut everything down again?  Start all over?  

I think the plan in the UK is for when their are covid clusters next fall...  Certain jurisdictions will shut down . Not all.  

I think they say 50 infections per 100,000 for 7 days consecutive. 

Do you find this helpful

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You guys in Campbell river must be pretty clever if you went into quarentine in Mid January.....

Well done Campbell river.   Next time please let the rest of Canada know when you have inside info about a pandemic.... LOL

Yeah Quarantine didn't officially start for me until March 18th, wonder where 5th got the extra 3 months? 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I wonder why I think the testing still has a way to go....

13 USS Roosevelt Sailors Test Positive For COVID-19, Again

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/16/857379338/5-uss-roosevelt-sailors-test-positive-for-covid-19-again

The U.S. Navy says 13 sailors from the USS Theodore Roosevelt who had apparently recovered from the coronavirus and had received negative test results have now tested positive for a second time.

Don't tell this to 5th line... It will ruin his herd immunity idea......  

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Back to school in BC.

BC ministry of ed - heh teachers do you mind stopping by london drugs and picking up some soap and hand sanitizer....

Sorry we can't  reimburse you though.....

Sorry no PPE for school staff or teachers... or even for the kids...

Heh, while you are at it....  can you bring in some bottled water since you have no tap /sink in your classroom.

Hopefully June is cool as your portable also has no A/C in it.   Good luck

In China it looks more like this

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Hydration 1

54 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'm curious as to what is your expectations are for kids returning to school in June (voluntary with likely less kids) and September (mandatory with more kids).  

So far (I think) it will have a mix of in-class and online classes. 

K-5 will be split into two groups, going alternating days, with Friday dedicated to distance learning and schools will be decontaminated.

6-12 come one day a week and distance learn otherwise.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

K-5 will be split into two groups, going alternating days, with Friday dedicated to distance learning and schools will be decontaminated.

6-12 come one day a week and distance learn otherwise.

I'm OK with the proposal. 

I was curious as to what KoS expects BC should do to get kids back to school.   

Does he want schooling to be online only?  Does he want BC to implement sanitize like how China is doing (as per his video link)?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

"Back to school in BC.

BC ministry of ed - heh teachers do you mind stopping by london drugs and picking up some soap and hand sanitizer....

Sorry we can't  reimburse you though.....

Sorry no PPE for school staff or teachers... or even for the kids...

Heh, while you are at it....  can you bring in some bottled water since you have no tap /sink in your classroom.

Hopefully June is cool as your portable also has no A/C in it.   Good luck

In China it looks more like this"

King of Surrey this took me like a minute to google. If you as an employee files a complaint, I guarantee the employer does something about protective equipment, its the law.

Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 

Respiratory Protection

• 12.13 (1) If there is a risk of injury or disease due to exposure to an airborne hazardous substance, other than a CBRN agent, or an oxygen-deficient atmosphere in a work place, the employer must provide every person who is granted access to the work place with respiratory protection equipment that

• (a) is listed in the United States National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health publication entitled Certified Equipment List, as amended from time to time;

• (b) meets the requirements set out in CSA Group Standard Z94.4, Selection, use, and care of respirators; and

• (c) protects the respiratory tract against the hazardous substance or oxygen deficiency, as the case may be.

• Skin Protection

• 12.14 (1) If there is a risk of injury or disease to or transmitted through the skin in a work place, the employer must provide every person who is granted access to the work place with

• (a) a shield or screen;

• (b) a cream or other product to be applied to the skin; or

• (c) appropriate protective clothing.

• (2) If sunscreen is provided by the employer, the sunscreen must be broad-spectrum and have a minimum sun protection factor of 30.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It's not healthy people that are dying

Complete, utter bs.

For a poster that claims to do research, you are ignorant of the basic facts. Or perhaps you know that healthy people are dying, but just don't care, because you want to go do something that is currently not allowed.?

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wloutet said:

When people are under stress and are prone to getting highly emotional, it tends to sway their decision making. People do things they normally would not think of doing if they were in a right frame of mind. Its like cornering a wild animal and waiting to see what he will do next. For some people, their first reaction is to lay blame to somebody, anybody for the predicament they are in. 

• Upvote 1

The Outlook continues to look good for BC. The curve continues to go down.

16 more people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in British Columbia, bringing the total to 2,444. 

There were eight new cases between Saturday and Sunday, and eight new cases between Sunday and Monday.

Two more people have died in the past 48 hours.

There are 335 active cases in B.C.

47 people are in hospital, 12 of them in the ICU.

1,966 people have recovered.

There are no new community outbreaks.

There are no new outbreaks in long-term care homes.

There are 15 ongoing outbreaks in long-term care homes, and five ongoing outbreaks in acute care facilities.

• Upvote 2