CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I have no issues with the route Sweden has taken.  It is working very well for them so far.  I wonder if it would work with the bigger and denser populations in other countries.  After all, Sweden is only twice the population of BC and their biggest city is just 1.5M.  In more rural areas in BC, there have been far more businesses and stores open and there has never been the feeling of "lock down".  It is far easier to shop in uncrowded stores or find less confining areas outdoors in less densely populated areas.

As well....

1) Healthier population

2) Likely more willing to following 'social distancing' measures because of trust in government 

No blanket solution for all countries as each nation has unique characteristics that should be taken account of.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I have no issues with the route Sweden has taken.  It is working very well for them so far.  I wonder if it would work with the bigger and denser populations in other countries.  After all, Sweden is only twice the population of BC and their biggest city is just 1.5M.  In more rural areas in BC, there have been far more businesses and stores open and there has never been the feeling of "lock down".  It is far easier to shop in uncrowded stores or find less confining areas outdoors in less densely populated areas.

No. It’s not. Do the research instead of repeating assumptions.

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)

Was at Metrotown this afternoon.  Some stores are open to the public.  I would say about 50% were properly social distancing and wearing masks.

The ones not wearing masks were typically under 50.  The majority not wearing masks were teens / young adults.

Oh.  T&T had box of 50 masks for $30.  Limit 1 per family. 

Edited by BPA
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Was at Metrotown this afternoon.  Some stores are open to the public.  I would say about 50% were properly social distancing and wearing masks.

The ones not wearing masks were typically under 50.  The majority not wearing masks were teens / young adults.

Oh.  T&T had box of 50 masks for $30.  Limit 1 per family. 

They also won't let you in the store (at least the one on Cambie) without a facemask (you can buy one from them for $1).

• Upvote 1

I hope that people aren’t feeling over quarantined, while taking out on others. Please let’s make margaritas, do one push up at home, a BBQ. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s Unusual too be Loved by everyone, it’s Unusual too... I forgot the words! Dang!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Swedish models......mmmmmmmmmmmmm.:P

swedish chef cooking GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, but I don't consider 2-4k extra dead people 'slightly higher'.

They also also have had their economy affected fyi as people still largely stayed home/bought less. The economic differences are in fact small and not worth risking thousands of lives.

2-4K is close to the expected increases in suicide due to unemployment. Australia is predicting 2700 extra deaths from suicide Why do you view Covid deaths more than suicide? 

The other thing people seem to be forgetting a large percent of the covid deaths had overlap with elderly who would have died in near term. 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

17 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

It’s Unusual too be Loved by everyone, it’s Unusual too... I forgot the words! Dang!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Brother! I should of posted that with my comment, that is a Classical Cinema scene. Thank you, brought me back too happy, my childhood lol! Much Love 

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)

Tom Jones the Man, Its Unusual too be Loved by anyone, come sing it be happy. 

Here is a little song I wrote, you might want too sing it,  note by note don’t worry.. dun dun.. Be Happy

Edited by The Aquamen
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Which is why Sweden is great controlled test variable. This claim was the major call on why we needed lockdown. Yet Sweden has shown that not locking the country down does not overwhelm their health care and their death rate is only slightly higher. All while not shutting down there economy. 

and I know what the refute to this is. “All lives are important so that extra 2-4K of death caused by not locking down need to be protected“ just like stawns latest post and to that I say, locking down the country will result in deaths either way.

Suicide rates are dramatically increasing due to the shut down. Unemployment rates have a direct correlation to suicide rates. Australia is exception a 33% increase in suicides year over year. Michigan has a 37% increase in calls to the suicide help line. Alberta saw an 18% increase in help line calls in March alone. 

One method the country comes out of this In shambles, broke and with a debt and that will years and years to recover from.  Where the other method the country comes out way ahead. 

The financial experts are saying that Sweden's economy will not escape the downturn just because they didn't shut down. It's part of the EU so as the EU suffers so will Sweden. Sorry no article to link, but another poster shared 3 articles sometime last week.

• Hydration 3

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not sure Sweden's death rate is only 'slightly' higher. Slightly higher than who? The best comparable for any country is their neighbors. Compare Sweden's death rate with their Scandanavian neighbors and you'll find it's way higher.

Sweden deaths/1 million pop = 396

Norway deaths/1 million pop = 43

Finland deaths/ 1 million pop = 55

Denmark deaths/ 1 million pop = 97

(numbers from Worldometers)

Sweden is 4x the next highest.

Posted this a few days ago, Not sure if you saw it. So I'll post it again.............

Merrill Lynch is downbeat on consumer recovery from the virus - spending will likely remain highly impaired

Wed 20 May 2020 03:33:00 GMT

A note from Merrill Lynch comparing Denmark and Sweden which points to a significant implication according to the analysts.

Denmark and Sweden
  • the two countries diverged significantly in terms of health care outcomes
  • Denmark had 95 deaths per million people
  • Sweden had 363 per million (among the highest COVID-19 mortality rates in the world)
  • difference points to a large healthcare benefit from lockdown policies
What about the economic costs?
  • consumer spending dropped by 25% in Sweden
  • by 29% in Denmark
  • The 4pp difference between the two declines quantifies the cost of lockdown policies
  • 4% of consumer spending is not trivial, it is a small share of the total decrease in consumer spending
  • Therefore the data indicate that most of the slowdown occurred due to voluntary social distancing rather than lockdown policies.
If the paper's results are applicable to other countries … implications:
  • Even as restrictions are lifted, consumer spending will likely remain highly impaired, with services getting hit the hardest
  • In summary, the economic downturn has been primarily because of the virus, not the policy response.
---
'Services hit the hardest' is what we are seeing in the data for Asian countries that are ahead of the curve on recovery. 

Merrill Lynch's research indicates that it's voluntary social distancing and not lockdowns that are responsible for the collapse in consumer spending and resulting damage to economies.

Summation = Very little difference in the Danish and Swedish economies due to lockdown vs no lockdown. Very big difference in mortality rate. The whole argument behind the Swedish model is it has saved their economy. This is a fallacy. Their economy is laying in the gutter, right beside Denmark. It appears people in Sweden are dying for nothing.

This has as many holes in it as a slice of Swiss cheese.

• Confused 2