CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I like the idea of building it around the Trump Tower.....

Or...."hey, check out the new 18th hole on your golf course, Donald".

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

this is sort of a post about the virus and sort of not. last week my grandson's good friend he grew up with , a fun kid to be around, he had many dinners at my grandsons house.  well he had moved to Sask. recently and I guess was feeling really low. he went to the hospital , but I guess because of the virus , they sent him home to stay in a quiet place,  well he committed suicide,   maybe they should have listened harder to him. he was only 20 years old!  yes we have the virus to deal with, but we also need to take care of the people who are asking for help

thats awful Bree. These are the types of people (and younger teens) I'm worried are slipping through the cracks right now. We don't seem to have the bandwidth to look after everyone at the moment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

this is sort of a post about the virus and sort of not. last week my grandson's good friend he grew up with , a fun kid to be around, he had many dinners at my grandsons house.  well he had moved to Sask. recently and I guess was feeling really low. he went to the hospital , but I guess because of the virus , they sent him home to stay in a quiet place,  well he committed suicide,   maybe they should have listened harder to him. he was only 20 years old!  yes we have the virus to deal with, but we also need to take care of the people who are asking for help

Sorry to hear that Bree. We have issues with mental health care out here in Sask even well before the virus. Previous provincial governments promised money to improve the mental health care system and failed to follow through. Now we are paying for that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Does Sask. not have a Need Crisis line?

That is a sad story, and I do not want to make excuses for the hospital, but burnout is also a factor

That seem like a failure at triage

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Obfuscation isn't a game I play. You got something to say, go ahead and say it. You've added absolutely nothing to support your complaint. Just whining for the sake of whining. It's boring.

This game of verbal footsie you're engaging in is of no interest to me.

It’s samurai.

Expect nothing.

Edited by Me_
  • Hydration 2

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ireland deaths/1 million pop = 325

Netherlands deaths/1 million pop = 340

Belgium deaths/1 million pop = 801

UK deaths/1 million pop = 501

France deaths/1 million pop = 434

Those numbers don't tell much of a story, so many other variables are in play.  

As far as the Merrill lynch piece, that's one opinion,  The federal gov't, the Alberta provincial gov't and many others disagree and believe it's going to be years, if we ever get back to the way things were.  The company I consult for has a weekly call with these political parties as well as with Deloitte, discussing exactly this.  

To be honest I expected a better reply from you. The numbers do tell a lot of the story. Firstly, the Scandanavian countries are the appropriate comparable to Sweden because of similar lifestyles, health issues, diets, rates of obesity etc. The countries you list are not the appropriate comparable because of dissimilar lifestyles, health issues, diets, rates of obesity etc. Also, they were hit harder earlier. They had less time to develop their response. In fact the UK toyed with the idea of 'herd immunity' before they realized what a disaster that would be for them.

Saying there's other variables in play, then failing to list any is lazy. I get it's a hockey message board and not a university thesis but come on. A little effort to back up your argument is appreciated.

The Merrill piece isn't an opinion. It's a conclusion based on hard medical and financial data. What really was the economic benefit to Sweden over Denmark when the differences in Consumer Spending was -25% to -29%?

I don't know about you but I trust a research note from Merrill more than a government study. Look at the medical data coming out of some of the states down south, namely Florida and Georgia. It's blatant BS. Even our own Canadian government was muzzling scientists and manipulating data to serve their own purposes. So I am going to look at Government data on an issue as contentious as Lockdown policies with a jaundiced eye. I suggest you do the same.

As for suicides rates. There is a correlation between the unemployment rate and suicide. No one will argue that. Economic despair is a great cause of suicide. What I haven't heard anyone concerned about rising suicide rates acknowledge is the economic policy response this time around. I have seen arguments citing the suicide rates from the Spanish Flu pandemic and the Great Depression and comparing them with the Covid-19 pandemic and the current economic turmoil. Yes, suicide rates did rise in those times. What this argument fails to take into account  is the unprecedented economic response this time around compared to those times. That's a pretty big variable to omit.

Back then if you lost your job, there was a food line to stand in. That was about it. You were essentially on your own. Governments back then even dramatically raised interest rates choking off credit. Now there is an unprecedented economic response to the tune of trillions of dollars across the globe. Dropping interest rates to near zero, conducting massive quantitative easing operations. Governments paying citizens to stay home. Paycheck Protection Programs, Bailouts galore, Huge support for financial markets. Think anyone who's in the Nasdaq is suicidal over economic despair? Thanks to government intervention the Nasdaq is actually in the green for 2020. How ridiculous is that?

So  will suicide rates be comparable to those previous hardships? It's very doubtful.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I learned on Facebook that these photos are all fake and stuff because of perspective...and Obama

your sig is awesome

that kid... he is a social distance HERO!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well America....I mean if you're wondering why we want that border kept closed...

Yikes

98318424_4605467489464193_1430818339768238080_n.png

well, either you believe or you don't believe. If you don't believe, why social distance?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I fear we just might have a second wave of infections. Cuomo the New York governor, just advised that New York will open up for sports...:picard:  

The Millennials will mess this up. 
My newphew he is 15, asked me what a VCR is, and the in-put video and out-put video is. I wonder if he knows what, Super Nintendo is? Asked me how we communicated back then, with no cell phones, doesn’t understand what a Home Phone is.

Then tells me, “that’s sounds exhausting.” You little prick, go mow the lawn, google what that is. 

LOL, he is a good kid though, good student. Really good @ baseball, chose Hockey over Baseball, honestly ......

Edited by The Aquamen
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

I fear we just might have a second wave of infections. Cuomo the New York governor, just advised that New York will open up for sports...:picard:  

The Millennials will mess this up. 
My newphew he is 15, asked me what a VCR is, and the in-put video and out-put video is. I wonder if he knows what, Super Nintendo is? Asked me how we communicated back then, with no cell phones, doesn’t understand what a Home Phone is.

Then tells me, “that’s sounds exhausting.” You little prick, go mow the lawn, google what that is. 

LOL, he is a good kid though, good student. Really good @ baseball, chose Hockey over Baseball, honestly ......

Actually its the older generations that are messing this up more than anyone. Look at all the protests down in the states, those aren’t millennials, they’re whiny Gen Xers.

I think you’re thinking of Gen Z’s if you’re talking about 15 year olds. Those are the ones that are going to the beaches and parks. Millennials are actually the ones who are taking this the most seriously from what I’ve seen.

The second wave won’t come from sports reopening, it will come from the premature opening of gyms, parks, schools, shopping malls. Basically large gathering areas where outbreaks spread fast and are harder to trace.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

To be honest I expected a better reply from you. The numbers do tell a lot of the story. Firstly, the Scandanavian countries are the appropriate comparable to Sweden because of similar lifestyles, health issues, diets, rates of obesity etc. The countries you list are not the appropriate comparable because of dissimilar lifestyles, health issues, diets, rates of obesity etc. Also, they were hit harder earlier. They had less time to develop their response. In fact the UK toyed with the idea of 'herd immunity' before they realized what a disaster that would be for them.

There’s so many other variables at play. Like travel amongst immigrant who reside in the country, like age median age and geographical of those ages like how In Norway the regional differences in the overall age level are clearly visible, with the far north and the far south characterised by a lower relative number of old age persons compared to the regions in between. distance between sparsely populated areas. and City sizes. Stockholm is 2.25x the size Oslo (Norway’s largest city) and Helsinki (Finland’s largest city). Just because they are neighbors and have similar life styles doesn’t mean they are great comparables.

Canada and US for example deployed very similar strategy’s, we are the closet comparable yet they have had completely different outcomes. The point I was making is a could cherry pick plenty of other examples. Even in Canada between the provinces we have such variation. 

Saying there's other variables in play, then failing to list any is lazy. I get it's a hockey message board and not a university thesis but come on. A little effort to back up your argument is appreciated.

because there are and most of them are just common sense. What claiming they are neighbors is the dumbed down version of cherry picking numbers. One would think that is really only takes two seconds at The Who chart you posted to see a wide variation. 

The Merrill piece isn't an opinion. It's a conclusion based on hard medical and financial data. What really was the economic benefit to Sweden over Denmark when the differences in Consumer Spending was -25% to -29%?

Optimizing about countries economic recovery countries like Canada are amongst the lowest for people stating the will spend up to 40% less post covid where Sweden, next to japan is one of the highest. 

I don't know about you but I trust a research note from Merrill more than a government study.

it wasn’t a govt study and considering the company I consult with plays a major part in Canadian consumer spend I would trust the sources I have as our business and strategy depends on it. 

Look at the medical data coming out of some of the states down south, namely Florida and Georgia. It's blatant BS. Even our own Canadian government was muzzling scientists and manipulating data to serve their own purposes. So I am going to look at Government data on an issue as contentious as Lockdown policies with a jaundiced eye. I suggest you do the same.

this isn’t govt doing research. This is Deloitte doing the research and the govt working with us on strategies based on that research. 

As for suicides rates. There is a correlation between the unemployment rate and suicide. No one will argue that. Economic despair is a great cause of suicide. What I haven't heard anyone concerned about rising suicide rates acknowledge is the economic policy response this time around. I have seen arguments citing the suicide rates from the Spanish Flu pandemic and the Great Depression and comparing them with the Covid-19 pandemic and the current economic turmoil. Yes, suicide rates did rise in those times. What this argument fails to take into account  is the unprecedented economic response this time around compared to those times. That's a pretty big variable to omit.

In this thread? Or another covid one id listed the areas that are predicting the increases based on the call service lines along with the suicides they have already happened in March. 

So  will suicide rates be comparable to those previous hardships? It's very doubtful.

I never claimed they were making predictions off viruses 100 years ago. They were based on data in the last 6 years. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Actually its the older generations that are messing this up more than anyone. Look at all the protests down in the states, those aren’t millennials, they’re whiny Gen Xers.

The second wave won’t come from sports reopening, it will come from the premature opening of gyms, parks, schools, shopping malls. Basically large gathering areas where outbreaks spread fast and are harder to trace.

True, just indulge me for a second. I give Millennials no benefit of a doubt! Little bastards. Hosted a birthday party for my nephew, they are so lippy. I figured if I play beer pong with them, get them full and pass out. They just got more lippy, then I ended up arguing with 17 year olds. It’s ok I made them do my lawn, some stuff I had to get done around the house. Free labour.

Edited by The Aquamen