CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Does the media know that? Has it been “as close to spam as legally possible” delivered to numerous key points whereby the discussion becomes inevitable?

Are there any follow ups?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

For now, I'm taking this as simple PR - tell the general public what they want to hear and try not to panic parents/teachers/students.  I mean seriously,  what else would a superintendent of the largest school district in the province say publicly?   I want to hear from people in actual schools once kids go back whether strict protocols/measures are not only in place, but are actually being rigorously enforced?

In Japan they of course have janitorial staff.  Usually quite a few that are there all day cleaning everything - they are outsourced and often retired people who want the extra money and to do something.  But students at all levels of school except university are responsible for cleaning each day.  Teacher supervises and the kids wash desks and so forth and even mop floors.   In Canada parents would probably not approve of their kids having those kinds of responsibilities.  The kids don't mind it because anything is better than studying.  I think it is a good system.   In the old days kids in Canada at the start of school each day had to get their hands checked and so forth to see if they were clean.  

Edited by samurai
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, samurai said:

In Japan they of course have janitorial staff.  Usually quite a few that are there all day cleaning everything - they are outsourced and often retired people who want the extra money and to do something.  But students at all levels of school except university are responsible for cleaning each day.  Teacher supervises and the kids wash desks and so forth and even mop floors.   In Canada parents would probably not approve of their kids having those kinds of responsibilities.  The kids don't mind it because anything is better than studying.  I think it is a good system.   In the old days kids in Canada at the start of school each day had to get their hands checked and so forth to see if they were clean.  

What old days are you talking about? When? Canada is a big place, so how do you know ‘Canada’ as a country ever did this? 

Canadian schools also have janitorial staffs as well. Did you not know that? 

Also, Canadian post secondary student clean their own dorms for the most part. 

Im not getting where you’re coming from? Do you think that Canadian students are lazier than Japanese students?

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a Canadian too. Dual.

I am not offended. I thought we were agreeing on our overall opinions of the Royal Fam...the details about their Free Mason reptilian hit squad activities...who knows?

Thanks for the kind words. Go Canucks also. 

Where (roughly) are you from in the UK? I'm dual as well but moved from Canada to UK and live in Hampshire.

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

350,000 deaths of Covid in the world now.  100,000 deaths in USA.  6000 deaths in Canada

Yet  our BC government does not support our students and school staff wearing masks.....

#BrokenBC 

You ok with your tax dollars footing the bill? 

I'm all for kids, and building generations of intelligent children, who will have a better future. 

The moment the words tax dollars get spoken. Suddenly support vanishes. 

BrokeBC

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You ok with your tax dollars footing the bill? 

I'm all for kids, and building generations of intelligent children, who will have a better future. 

The moment the words tax dollars get spoken. Suddenly support vanishes. 

BrokeBC

Are you OK with paying an extra penny per visit  at tim hortons  / starbucks  etc....etc  etc....   now that the company has supplied and made mask mandatory for their workers...

• Haha 1

Cancel school all you want; Canada can't hide indoors forever. International travel and the border with the States can't be closed forever. Eventually the virus will return because people will bring it here. And citizens of this fine country will become sick again. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Are you OK with paying an extra penny per visit  at tim hortons  / starbucks  etc....etc  etc....   now that the company has supplied and made mask mandatory for their workers...

Even before I was bringing my coffee to work, to save money. 

I have no issues with it, but there's a very vocal contingent of the public that think we're paying too much as it is. 

Teachers have been trying for 20 years to reduce class sizes, and no government has given them the money or tools to accomplish this. 

It would have to be rounded to a nickel anyways. We don't have pennies.

I haven't been to a Tim's in well over a year. I agree that we should be protecting both kids and teachers. 

There are others that would lose it, if we had to raise taxes. That's all I'm saying. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I haven't been to a Tim's in well over a year. 

A man of refined tastes!  I salute you.:P

(Note:  Timmies ONCE was ok but they’ve really gone downhill)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

What old days are you talking about? When? Canada is a big place, so how do you know ‘Canada’ as a country ever did this? 

Canadian schools also have janitorial staffs as well. Did you not know that? 

Also, Canadian post secondary student clean their own dorms for the most part. 

Im not getting where you’re coming from? Do you think that Canadian students are lazier than Japanese students?

I was wondering the same.

Not many have experienced "older" days than I have, and I didn't experience that at all. Closest thing was, a school wide lice check, after a couple of kids were found with the infection. This would have been late 60's....

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Where (roughly) are you from in the UK? I'm dual as well but moved from Canada to UK and live in Hampshire.

Healds Green in Chadderton, Oldham

Greater Manchester area. 

• Hydration 1

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not many have experienced "older" days than I have,

Are you old enough to have had the strap at school?  I last got the strap in grade 9, in 1960, for talking in class. Three on each hand, coming from behind me with two teachers, one to observe.  The observing teacher just passed away. The fellow who gave me the strap, I ended up playing rugby against him, then teaching with him, and helping him build a house. We became good friends. When I started teaching in 1970, they decided to ban the strap from schools. It was still in Private schools, for when I taught at Brentwood, in 1977-78, they still were caning kids.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Are you old enough to have had the strap at school?  I last got the strap in grade 9, in 1960, for talking in class. Three on each hand, coming from behind me with two teachers, one to observe.  The observing teacher just passed away. The fellow who gave me the strap, I ended up playing rugby against him, then teaching with him, and helping him build a house. We became good friends. When I started teaching in 1970, they decided to ban the strap from schools. It was still in Private schools, for when I taught at Brentwood, in 1977-78, they still were caning kids.

It was around when I was going to school, but I never experienced it personally.

I do remember being kicked by a gym teacher once and a Socials teacher who used to hit students with one of those wooden pointers.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I got it in grade school in SK. But I was asking for it. I was in the vice principals office for being a little $&!# for some other reason, and while he was yelling at me I figured out that his office had a ladder that led to the roof and he didn't have a lock on it. He also didn't shut his office door when he wasn't in there. Later that day he caught me on the roof, thats when I got the strap. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I am.

England.

Were still hitting us when we left in '82.

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

An interesting read...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ontario-recovery-stage-1.5586557

This article is a great explanation as to why BC has done an exceptional job in dealing with Covid-19, compared to (in this case) Ontario. One of the more striking theories, is the approach put forth to the people of the province. Rather than having the 'dog and pony show' of blending medical experts and politicians presenting information to the public, BC has pushed a medical expertise first; political elements secondary. This has given the population a more consistent and concise explanation of the health situation, as well as a language of 'we, us, ours' that has encouraged the people to work together and face the challenge together. This solid message, combined with the encouragement to help each other and to say calm and be kind, has had an impact on the psyche of our people. I think all of us owe a lot to Dr. Henry, Mr. Dix and Premier Horgan (as well as the many others that work with them) for putting together an incredibly thoughtful and cohesive approach.

I'd just like to highlight a stat that is very significant for this province, that will hopefully relieve some of the anxiety I see on CDC. As of

May 26, here are the stats for active cases in BC...

Fraser Health: 168

Coastal Health: 83

Interior Health; Vancouver Island Health; Northern Health: 7 (this is an inclusive stat)

New cases continue to be low since early May and are usually related to institutions or large business (packing companies). The team that does the tracking in this province have done a terrific job as well.

We still need to be cautious and continue applying the measures/guidelines that we have come to learn. If the numbers start to spike (as they probably will), we will need to be more vigilant. Here in BC, we have discovered that we can work together and flatten the curve if/when it is required. It's something we may have live with for quite some time.

Be kind, be calm, and be safe.

You make a lot of good points higgy.

I agree with pretty much everything you've mentioned. 

It still concerns me GREATLY that Henry/Horgan have taken the point of view that it's in the best interests of the province to send children back to school.  I understand all of the protocols/measures they're taking and I STILL have great concerns.  I don't think many people would have caused much fuss whatsoever if they had shut down schools until Sept at the earliest.  I mean in the big picture - it's 4 weeks more of the same and realistically, the K-5 kids are only attending 2x per week in June and the older kids even less so one has to ask the question - is the risk worth the reward in sending kids back to be babysat for 8 days total in June? 

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wloutet said:

Are you old enough to have had the strap at school?.

heh, I'm old enough to have the strap given to me on weekends by Mistress Diana.....but that's a story for another board.:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

heh, I'm old enough to have the strap given to me on weekends by Mistress Diana.....but that's a story for another board.:ph34r:

Just curious.....did you have a hard time finding diapers because of Covid19?