CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

On 5/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, Me_ said:

The drastically reduced traffic of this thread worries me greatly.

It may mean that many of the posters have now eased their thinking regarding Covid-19.

Very worrisome.

Think you might be looking into it too much. 

The George Floyd protests and the alleged Anonymous leaks are the hot topics right now. Don't think it's necessarily because people have eased their thinking on Covid-19.

• Upvote 2

On 5/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, Me_ said:

The drastically reduced traffic of this thread worries me greatly.

It may mean that many of the posters have now eased their thinking regarding Covid-19.

Very worrisome.

The signal to noise ratio got way out of hand. One or two participants can really ruin things. Case in point all the Vitamin D talk.

No thanx.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:32 AM, Down by the River said:

I stopped posting in this thread because I felt that the quality of discussion hit rock bottom. 

Ditto. I'll still post from time to time if there's some important news but it's become a bit of a cesspool.

• Hydration 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-ive-never-seen-such-sticky-blood-says-thrombosis-expert#Ive-never-seen-such-sticky-blood

Hmmm, interesting new revelations.  We just don't know about this virus and while we're in the "figuring it out" stage we should not celebrate victory or pretend we're not facing future risk.  Proceed with caution and enjoy life with some new measures in place that will get us through this better than if we just drop our guard in a business as usual way.

No victory with probably less than 1% of BCers having had it and  no vacinne in sight...   Definately all need to practise social distancing, masks, and regular handwashing for the foreseeable future. BCers have done an amazing job so far.  Just need to keep going and stay strong. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Hydration 3

Posted (edited)

Toronto Chinatown: Mostly Asian. 95% wear masks.

Toronto Kensington Market: It’s kind of mix of Commercial Drive/ Flee market.

90% dont wear masks.

Edited by Me_
  • Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 8:26 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I realize i have become a grumpy old f...

But i have zero faith in my provinces citizens or our BC government(s).

People here in BC are just as dumb as texas/florid - any hicktown in the USA.

Refusing to wear a mask that is provided to u at costco is so disrespectful to those that have underlying medical issues... that are in the store with you.

So disrespectful and thoughless

#BrokenBC 

45 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No victory with probably less than 1% of BCers having had it and  no vacinne in sight...   Definately all need to practise social distancing, masks, and regular handwashing for the foreseeable future. BCers have done an amazing job so far.  Just need to keep going and stay strong. 

Kind of did a 180 in the last week there...

If we’re all so dumb as you stated and masks were the key in stopping the spread, surely those case numbers should be spiking again yes?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we’re all so dumb as you stated and masks were the key in stopping the spread, surely those case numbers should be spiking again yes?

Time will tell with BC case numbers.  Many people here are expecting a  potential spike in cases as business opens up.   Fingers crossed that BCers continue to practise safe behaviours. Yes, masks are part of any safe practise in situations you can not socially distance effectively. 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

We've heard, discussed, argued, etc. the Vitamin D thing to death.  It's a done deal...scroll back and read if you like, but we're not firing that one up again so the new and improved Vit D post has been hidden.  As per previous notification from the admin that basically said "time to move on" from that point.  

We're putting the band back together

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

most people in my area are pretty good......social distancing, quite a few masks in stores etc.  We've knocked it back pretty well, it'll take some time for re-infection to get going again I think...........unless they start encouraging tourism, inter-provincial travel again.

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

most people in my area are pretty good......social distancing, quite a few masks in stores etc.  We've knocked it back pretty well, it'll take some time for re-infection to get going again I think...........unless they start encouraging tourism, inter-provincial travel again.

Still a lot of interprovincial travel going on where I live. 

• Hydration 1

30 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Still a lot of interprovincial travel going on where I live. 

Yeah that never stopped.

One school in Israel since reopening...

Fingers crossed tomorrow in BC as  our province says f ... it and throws the dice.....

On Saturday night, the Jerusalem Municipality announced that the number of coronavirus patients infected through the Gymnasia school , located in the city’s Rehavia neighborhood, included between 104 and 122 students, 15 teachers and three parents.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-half-of-new-coronavirus-cases-in-schools-came-from-single-school-in-jerusalem-

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

One school in Israel since reopening...

Fingers crossed tomorrow in BC as  our province says f ... it and throws the dice.....

You gotta ask the teacher's union why aren't they protecting their members.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You gotta ask the teacher's union why aren't they protecting their members.

Yupp.  Also, you gotta ask BC government why they aren't protecting our kids....

PPE should be supplied and mandatory. 

When 1 re-opened school in Israel has 130 kids and 15 teachers infected....  3 parents.

This virus has asymptomatic carriers....    people need to be protected ( PPE )  when effective social distancing is not likely to happen.

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

You gotta ask BC government why they aren't protecting our kids....

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  The PHO and MOH has outlined the guidelines that businesses and institutions must use to operate under Covid.  There has never been a mandate to require by the law the use of PPE for the public.  In fact I don't know of too many jurisdictions that require mask use by law.  Individual businesses or institutions have to come up with a working plan based on the guidelines set by the Province in conjuction with WorkSafe BC.   Some businesses have in their plan the requirement to for the public to use PPE when entering their premises.  They are allowed to do this.  T&T in Metrotown requires mask use.  Those that don't comply will be asked to leave.  For those that accuse the business of violating their rights, the courts may decide that the business is acting reasonably and throw that out.

You should be asking why the School Board, Trustee's or the BCTF is not requiring or demanding the use of PPE.  They are the ones responsible for formulating a plan.  

I don't know who is pushing for schools to re-open again tomorrow but I don't think its Bonnie Henry.

• Hydration 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  The PHO and MOH has outlined the guidelines that businesses and institutions must use to operate under Covid.  There has never been a mandate to require by the law the use of PPE for the public.  In fact I don't know of too many jurisdictions that require mask use by law.  Individual businesses or institutions have to come up with a working plan based on the guidelines set by the Province in conjuction with WorkSafe BC.   Some businesses have in their plan the requirement to for the public to use PPE when entering their premises.  They are allowed to do this.  T&T in Metrotown requires mask use.  Those that don't comply will be asked to leave.  For those that accuse the business of violating their rights, the courts may decide that the business is acting reasonably and throw that out.

You should be asking why the School Board, Trustee's or the BCTF is not requiring or demanding the use of PPE.  They are the ones responsible for formulating a plan.  

I don't know who is pushing for schools to re-open again tomorrow but I don't think its Bonnie Henry.

Latest news is pretty scarey...

In a sourced commentary in the publication Science, three university researchers from the United States and Taiwan — an atmospheric chemist, researcher in infectious disease and public health and a chemist specializing in aerosols — say that unlike some respiratory viruses, which spread through droplets, a growing body of evidence has found that much of the spread of COVID-19 “appears to be occurring through airborne transmission of aerosols produced by asymptomatic individuals during breathing and speaking.”

So while the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends keeping a two-metre distance from others and washing your hands frequently to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, those measures “are based on studies of respiratory droplets carried out in the 1930s” when “technology did not exist for detecting submicron aerosols,” according to the authors.

“Measurements now show that intense coughs and sneezes that propel larger droplets more than 20 ft. (six metres) can also create thousands of aerosols that can travel even further.” 

Some of the most important places to wear masks are where high concentrations of the virus can accumulate, such as airplanes, restaurants, health care settings and other crowded spaces, they wrote.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/latest-news/two-metres-likely-not-enough-spread-covid-19-experts-2394948

Edited by kingofsurrey

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Latest news is pretty scarey...

In a sourced commentary in the publication Science, three university researchers from the United States and Taiwan — an atmospheric chemist, researcher in infectious disease and public health and a chemist specializing in aerosols — say that unlike some respiratory viruses, which spread through droplets, a growing body of evidence has found that much of the spread of COVID-19 “appears to be occurring through airborne transmission of aerosols produced by asymptomatic individuals during breathing and speaking.”

So while the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends keeping a two-metre distance from others and washing your hands frequently to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, those measures “are based on studies of respiratory droplets carried out in the 1930s” when “technology did not exist for detecting submicron aerosols,” according to the authors.

“Measurements now show that intense coughs and sneezes that propel larger droplets more than 20 ft. (six metres) can also create thousands of aerosols that can travel even further.” 

Some of the most important places to wear masks are where high concentrations of the virus can accumulate, such as airplanes, restaurants, health care settings and other crowded spaces, they wrote.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/latest-news/two-metres-likely-not-enough-spread-covid-19-experts-2394948

Well, washing your hands works well regardless.  It is well known that many sicknesses arrive via touching things and sticking your fingers in various orifices like eyes, nose, ears or mouth.  I think common sense would also tell you that a cough or sneeze would travel further than 6 feet.  Keep away from coughers....

I'm not setting my hair on fire over this.  The lesson here is to be aware of others.

On the other hand, it's certainly a good idea to point out these facts to people.