CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

58 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I don't get my reality about BC public schools from Twitter.  I get it from my wife, who is a teacher in the BC public school system.

I'm a teacher, that's not the reality at all.  True most of us don't agree with coming back, bit no teacher that I know is doing anything but making kids feel safe and loved

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm a teacher, that's not the reality at all.  True most of us don't agree with coming back, bit no teacher that I know is doing anything but making kids feel safe and loved

The plan of  having 1-2 kids attend school  all day..... yet the same teacher is expected to support home learning for the other 20 students at the same time that stay home all week......

Well this will only burn out our teachers. It is super tough job and the BC plan will only frustrate  / exhaust our great BC teachers.

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

The plan of  having 1-2 kids attend school  all day..... yet the same teacher is expected to support home learning for the other 20 students at the same time that stay home all week......

Well this will only burn out our teachers. It is super tough job and the BC plan will only frustrate  / exhaust our great BC teachers.

That's not the plan though KOS. Both my kids are back Monday/Tuesday and both had their regular teacher Monday and a different teacher (of the same grade) today.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

That's not the plan though KOS. Both my kids are back Monday/Tuesday and both had their regular teacher Monday and a different teacher (of the same grade) today.

I think you are mistaken

The plan is group A is.   2 days...   Group B is 2 days...  the 5th day is for teacher  prep / zoom meetings / and deep clean the room.

This is how it works in every lower mainland city i know of. 

Sounds like your kids teacher went on stress leave today... LOL>...

Edited by kingofsurrey

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think you are mistaken

The plan is group A is.   2 days...   Group B is 2 days...  the 5th day is for teacher  prep / zoom meetings / and deep clean the room.

This is how it works in every lower mainland city i know of. 

Sounds like your kids teacher went on stress leave today... LOL>...

And I'm not mistaken, I know my kids teachers, and so do they.

Just because Surrey has idiots running their school board doesn't mean District 61 has to follow their lead.

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, luckylager said:

And I'm not mistaken, I know my kids teachers, and so do they.

Just because Surrey has idiots running their school board doesn't mean District 61 has to follow their lead.

I see no reason why your kids would have different teachers....   that is just another way to spread covid....  hopefully your kids teacher is OK and makes it back to work soon and did not go on stress leave after the first day back.

Edited by kingofsurrey

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well I guess that's just another reason why Vancouver Island is waaayyyyyy better than the mainland.

Weird how not many people want to live on the island and so many want to live on the lower mainland...... LOL 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I see no reason why your kids would have different teachers....  hopefully your kids teacher is OK and makes it back to work soon..

Teachers

Both had different teachers.

Based on what I'm seeing at the school, almost no one sent their kids back. My son's grade 5 class is now a blend of the 3 original classes, 12 kids total. So 12/60.

My daughter's in grade 1. There's normally 3 full classes, but now there's 2 with 7 kids in each class.

Posted (edited)

Teachers

Based on what I'm seeing at the school, almost no one sent their kids back. My son's grade 5 class is now a blend of the 3 original classes, 12 kids total. So 12/60.

My daughter's in grade 1. There's normally 3 full classes, but now there's 2 with 7 kids in each class.

OK - yes  .  Sounds like they combined classes to make larger groups..kids and teachers probably find it better when the group is a bit bigger eg...   5-10 kids.     and teachers are taking turns teaching the larger group. Probably doing online support when not teaching ... for their home stay kids.

Smart approach.      

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Weird how not many people want to live on the island and so many want to live on the lower mainland...... LOL 

Fyi, we dont actually want anyone moving here. The Island is closed.

And we've had 1 case of COVID in the last 3 weeks (and the jackass came from Albertica).

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

OK - yes  .  Sounds like they combined classes to make larger groups..kids and teachers probably find it better when the group is a bit bigger eg...   5-10 kids.     and teachers are taking turns teaching the larger group. Probably doing online support when not teaching ... for their home stay kids.

Smart approach.      

Exactly.

Chalk up another win for the Island.

Posted (edited)

Fyi, we dont actually want anyone moving here. The Island is closed.

And we've had 1 case of COVID in the last 3 weeks (and the jackass came from Albertica).

I love the island. Spent pretty much every summer as a kid up by Black Creek / Oyster river area....  fishing and crabbing.

My daughter fiancee is from Nanoose.....       my youngest  is uvic grad.. LOL 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Hydration 2

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I love the island. Spent pretty much every summer as a kid up by Black Creek / Oyster river area....  fishing and crabbing.

My daughter fiancee is from Nanoose.....       my youngest  is uvic grad.. LOL 

Well I guess I'll still let you visit then.

You got lucky in more ways than one here.

34 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well I guess that's just another reason why Vancouver Island is waaayyyyyy better than the mainland.

That's the way it is in my district.  Group A is mon-tue, Wednesday is distance learning and deep clean and the only kids in school are essential workers kids.  Thu-Fri is group B.

23 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Teachers

We had that discussion and pretty much every teacher wanted their own kids, they wanted ad much continuity and normalcy for their students as they could.  Efficiency isn't always the best model.....the kids are very happy to have their regular teachers.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

We had that discussion and pretty much every teacher wanted their own kids, they wanted ad much continuity and normalcy for their students as they could.  Efficiency isn't always the best model.....the kids are very happy to have their regular teachers.

I'm not sure if the teacher swap will be routine or what. But considering the low student turnout and blended classes, I think this was probably the only way to provide some sort of continuity without overburdening the teachers.

Just now, luckylager said:

I'm not sure if the teacher swap will be routine or what. But considering the low student turnout and blended classes, I think this was probably the only way to provide some sort of continuity without overburdening the teachers.

I think most of us feel pretty ok, as far as workload goes.  There's a pretty low bar on expectations for the rest of this year.  I'm lucky to have strong admin who understand that there is a massive strain on everyone right now and their direction is to take it pretty easy and get to the finish line.  My school has very low turnout, probably 20%, but other schools in my district are in the 60-70% range and that poses a variety of problems.

Distance learning is one day a week and some teachers are live streaming some lessons to those who chose to stay home, but for the most part we're just doing our best to find a good balance between classroom and distance learning.

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think most of us feel pretty ok, as far as workload goes.  There's a pretty low bar on expectations for the rest of this year.  I'm lucky to have strong admin who understand that there is a massive strain on everyone right now and their direction is to take it pretty easy and get to the finish line.  My school has very low turnout, probably 20%, but other schools in my district are in the 60-70% range and that poses a variety of problems.

Distance learning is one day a week and some teachers are live streaming some lessons to those who chose to stay home, but for the most part we're just doing our best to find a good balance between classroom and distance learning.

I'm happy you guys are back. My boy wasn't missing school at all, nor the social aspect, because he's out skateboarding, biking, shooting pucks and hanging out with the neighbourhood kids all afternoon.

My 6yro daughter... she was so happy to go back and see one of her "million friends".

I've tried to set up a few hangouts with her friends for her and it just hasn't been working out, I've been feeling pretty bad for her. The kidos need other kidos to do dumb $&!# with. 

Edited by luckylager