CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Loser has to move to Port Hardy and second place gets Duncan.....

I lived in both, you may have those prizes backwards.

  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skategal said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

 

Sweden’s top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight Covid-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

Tegnell is the brains behind Sweden’s controversial approach to fighting the virus, and the government of Stefan Lofven has deferred to the epidemiologist in its official response to the pandemic. Gatherings of more than 50 people continue to be banned, but throughout the crisis Swedes have been able to visit restaurants, go shopping, attend gyms and send children under 16 to school.

The laxer approach to containing the virus has drawn both praise and condemnation from across the globe. What is beyond debate, however, is the effect the strategy has had on the country’s death toll.

At 43 deaths per 100,000, Sweden’s mortality rate is among the highest globally and far exceeds that of neighboring Denmark and Norway, which imposed much tougher lockdowns at the onset of the pandemic.

“Clearly, there is potential for improvement in what we have done in Sweden,” Tegnell said.

The comments appeared to frustrate some members of the government. Sweden’s minister of health and social affairs, Lena Hallengren, said Tegnell “still can’t give an exact answer on what other measures should have been taken. That question remains, I think,” the minister said, according to Dagens Nyheter.

Falling Behind

Until now, Tegnell had argued that the long-term nature of the Covid-19 pandemic required a more sustainable response than severe and sudden lockdowns. Despite criticism from abroad, Tegnell’s strategy enjoyed widespread support in Sweden.

But with many other European Union countries now rolling back their lockdowns after appearing to bring Covid-19 under control, there are signs that Sweden may be left behind. That includes the freedom of movement of its citizens, as some EU countries restrict access to people coming from what are deemed high-risk Covid zones.

What’s more, there’s so far limited evidence that Sweden’s decision to leave much of its society open will support the economy. Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson recently warned that Sweden is facing its worst economic crisis since World War II, with GDP set to slump 7% in 2020, roughly as much as the rest of the EU.

The government has started to grow concerned at the apparent missteps taken to fight the spread of the virus in Sweden. On Monday, Lofven promised there’d be an inquiry into the handling of the crisis before the summer.

Some lawmakers in Sweden’s parliament were quick to weigh in. Jimmie Akesson, the leader of the anti-immigration Sweden Democrats, tweeted that the comments by Tegnell are “astonishing.”

“For months, critics have been consistently dismissed. Sweden has done everything right, the rest of the world has done it wrong. And now, suddenly, this,” Akesson said.

 

But, but herd immunity! Better economy! Freedom! Smarter than us! 
 

Many of us have been trying to get the muppets who thought Sweden’s approach was the better approach, to understand that they were always in the wrong. Wonder if they’ll admit it now? I doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gurn said:

I lived in both, you may have those prizes backwards.

I only visited, but I gave Druncan the edge, because of it's proximity to Victoria....

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#BrokenBC

 

Funny that we’re told those same masks don’t work at schools. #bced #bcpoli
 
 
@CBCNews
· 2h
Effective noon Thursday, airline flight crew and airport workers will be required to wear non-medical masks. https://cbc.ca/1.5597000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

 

I suggest a "Battle Royal" format competition between the three of you. Loser has to move to Port Hardy and second place gets Duncan.....

I don't want to win second place.

Those kids used to come wreck our Parksville sandcastle weekends. Trying to beat everyone up. Who gives steroids to high schoolers? Then again, they were pretty good at hockey. 

 

BTW, Nanoose Bay does not exist. No need for anyone to try to find it. If you come for a visit and turn right after getting off the ferries in Nanaimo, do not stop until you see goats  on a roof. Then you should pull over for an ice cream.

  • Hydration 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

 

I suggest a "Battle Royal" format competition between the three of you. Loser has to move to Port Hardy and second place gets Duncan.....third prince rupert

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Increase of 22 positive cases is the largest single day jump since May 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tiger, lion, dog and two cats.

 

All tested positive.

 

All live in NY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't want to win second place.

Those kids used to come wreck our Parksville sandcastle weekends. Trying to beat everyone up. Who gives steroids to high schoolers? Then again, they were pretty good at hockey. 

 

BTW, Nanoose Bay does not exist. No need for anyone to try to find it. If you come for a visit and turn right after getting off the ferries in Nanaimo, do not stop until you see goats  on a roof. Then you should pull over for an ice cream.

I remember it well, from when I gigged there at the old Galaxy (where the song Chinatown Calculations came from, BTW)  back in the mid-80s. The place was wall to wall Roid monkeys....

 

....I thought I had somehow stepped into a small wormhole and ended up in Williams Lake....

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, trek said:

Increase of 22 positive cases is the largest single day jump since May 7

No worries Dr. Bonnie says kids can't get covid...  so at least all our kids are safe at school.......    

 

Schools open / kids playgrounds open...    idiots out in public refusing to wear free provided masks...

 

Say hello to the second wave of Covid.  Humans are stupid. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember it well, from when I gigged there at the old Galaxy (where the song Chinatown Calculations came from, BTW)  back in the mid-80s. The place was wall to wall Roid monkeys....

 

....I thought I had somehow stepped into a small wormhole and ended up in Williams Lake....

I remember one time, it was becoming a annual event, Duncan was coming to beat up the Parksville guys. It always went off at night outside the Sandcastle dance at the community centre. However this year, some of the Parksville guys had challenged some dudes from Port Alberni. They showed up, in a bus! and immediately started scrapping the Duncan thugs. Masterful move Parksville kids!.

 

 At one point, '97 ...Parksville cancelled the festival, there was an actually a riot. True stories. 

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, trek said:

Increase of 22 positive cases is the largest single day jump since May 7

Economics>Pandemic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No worries Dr. Bonnie says kids can't get covid...  so at least all our kids are safe at school.......    

 

Schools open / kids playgrounds open...    idiots out in public refusing to wear free provided masks...

 

Say hello to the second wave of Covid.  Humans are stupid. 

It’s not a second wave...yet. 
 

However, while wearing my mask and shopping today at several stores(Home Depot, Save On Foods, Hair cut business), I anecdotally share with you that about 1 in  20 people had a mask on. The others think the pandemic is over and everything is back to the old normal. 
 

The only business that placed an importance on social distance, masks, and sanitization was the place where I went for a haircut. 
 

Our gains, predicted on our now behaviour, will be our future loss. 
 

&^@# all of you who don’t where a mask while shopping or just out and about in close proximity to others, or who don’t continue to social distance and who think everything’s back to normal. And most likely I’m talk to ‘You’. Buy some masks at Canadian Tire if you don’t know where to get them. 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, there’s no point if your wife or husband, or mum and dad is wearing a mask and you aren’t. 
 

It’s useless you morans! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

 

I suggest a "Battle Royal" format competition between the three of you. Loser has to move to Port Hardy and second place gets Duncan.....

If that includes sort of 'greater Duncan' as in Cow Bay or Cobble Hill.... I'd be fine with that ::D

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't want to win second place.

Those kids used to come wreck our Parksville sandcastle weekends. Trying to beat everyone up. Who gives steroids to high schoolers? Then again, they were pretty good at hockey. 

 

BTW, Nanoose Bay does not exist. No need for anyone to try to find it. If you come for a visit and turn right after getting off the ferries in Nanaimo, do not stop until you see goats  on a roof. Then you should pull over for an ice cream.

I grew up in Nanoose Bay, went to elementary school on Morrelo road, How's that for some ancient history. i remember those fun sandcastle brawls, some of my friends were the best scrapers in Parksville back then. Those riots that happened were crazy, what happened was the beer gardens and Dance at the hall ended at the same time. Thousands of drunk people leaving at once.

 My first memory of a Parksville beach brawl was when my dad coached Jr. B Box Lacrosse, this was in the mid/late 70's and i was just a little kid. Parksville went right to the finals that year and played Bella Coola i think it was. Anyway the other team had a ringer, a huge, at least 250 pounder around 18 or 19, His jr A team was eliminated so he was eligible to play for the jr B team. He ran through our team and Parksville lost the Championship game. The fighting started in the Arena and carried out to the parking lot, it was absolute mayhem and one of my earliest memory's. My Uncle, who was assisstant coach, drove by and said something to the kid and his family. The kid nailed my Uncle right in the face with the wood end of his Lacrosse stick and his dad and uncle pulled my uncle out of his vehicle, held his arms behind his back while the 250 kid light him up. My dad, who was at least 270 at the time, saw this, ran across the parking lot, spun the kid by the shoulder and landed a massive haymaker. KTFO the kid, then beat up his dad and uncle. Like hockey, Box Lacrosse was crazy back then. It's a much different world we live in now.

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

I grew up in Nanoose Bay, went to elementary school on Morrelo road, How's that for some ancient history. i remember those fun sandcastle brawls, some of my friends were the best scrapers in Parksville back then. Those riots that happened were crazy, what happened was the beer gardens and Dance at the hall ended at the same time. Thousands of drunk people leaving at once.

 My first memory of a Parksville beach brawl was when my dad coached Jr. B Box Lacrosse, this was in the mid/late 70's and i was just a little kid. Parksville went right to the finals that year and played Bella Coola i think it was. Anyway the other team had a ringer, a huge, at least 250 pounder around 18 or 19, His jr A team was eliminated so he was eligible to play for the jr B team. He ran through our team and Parksville lost the Championship game. The fighting started in the Arena and carried out to the parking lot, it was absolute mayhem and one of my earliest memory's. My Uncle, who was assisstant coach, drove by and said something to the kid and his family. The kid nailed my Uncle right in the face with the wood end of his Lacrosse stick and his dad and uncle pulled my uncle out of his vehicle, held his arms behind his back while the 250 kid light him up. My dad, who was at least 270 at the time, saw this, ran across the parking lot, spun the kid by the shoulder and landed a massive haymaker. KTFO the kid, then beat up his dad and uncle. Like hockey, Box Lacrosse was crazy back then. It's a much different world we live in now.

Wow, what a story.

 

I guarantee we know some of the same people. I know you are 4 years older than me. I recently had two of the toughest old Parksville dudes help me with some renos....both 4 years older then me. One went on to be a US Marine (cause he is dual) and he was a world ranked Mauy Thai fighter at one point.

 

I went to that elementary school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...