CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

at least Trudeau and his wife went into self isolation, good ole trumpie has been in contact with a few senators who have it and now  Brazilian president. yet he plans to travel to Vegas for a convention. what kind of idiot is he.  

Dr Evil.

B26F4E6E-C5CA-4FCD-996C-312C798FE7A8.jpeg

0447DF02-4776-4E2B-8841-B8D785EC05E4.jpeg

• Haha 1

In local news for me in PG:

https://www.princegeorgematters.com/local-news/world-womens-curling-championship-2020-in-prince-george-has-been-cancelled-world-curling-federation-2158472

World Women's Curling Championship 2020 in Prince George has been cancelled: World Curling Federation

The World Curling Federation previously said all events would go on as scheduled

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Laughter is the best medicine.

it lacks a partial face shield though

otherwise pretty accurate in terms of spoofing the guidelines

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

it lacks a partial face shield though

otherwise pretty accurate in terms of spoofing the guidelines

a gigantic dog cone would be the piece de la resistance 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

bc medical authorities

are following WHO directives

you seem to infer you doubt they are

and that individuals are in a better position to interpret

the best way to implement WHO or other experts viewpoints

better then the bc authorities

not sure why you persist in this

When did I say that? You are misinterpreting what I’m saying. You keep calling posts people are making from international sources misinformation because it’s not locally sourced. Do you think that other health experts aren’t taking information from the WHO as well? I’m not saying to ignore local sources, I’m saying that information posted from international sources on this forum is not misinformation. Which you keep implying is. 

• Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I trust Russia's number less than China.  Putin will decide what number to report. 

Closing borders may work in some cases and can slow down the spread. But it won't prevent it with today's global travel.  When China had the cases in Dec, it wasn't taken seriously by Chinese government or foreign. Millions of people celebrated new years eve in Wuhan. By the time China locked it down in mid Jan, about 5 million left the city already.  People travel everywhere.  Besides, China makes a huge proportion of drugs, masks, and other medical supplies. If you close the border, how are other countries going to stock up? Also, you need international experts to go there and investigate. The problem may have started in China, but it is a shared global problem.  Historically, closing borders only slowed the spread, but doesn't prevent it. The lockdown in Wuhan bought us outside of China more time to get ready.  Let's hope Canada is up for it. 

This is all we can hope for at this point IMO. More time for the healthcare system to react/not get as overwhelmed and hopefully save a few of the more serious/at risk lives.

The wave is coming. How much can we get in its way and how many extra people can we get to high ground by putting a breakwater in place. 

I'm stunned our government isn't yet declaring or at least strongly urging shut downs of schools, borders, travel and where possible, workers.

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Damn. I would've loved this as a kid..

As a kid, you don't care. It's all vacation time to you.

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

When did I say that? You are misinterpreting what I’m saying. You keep calling posts people are making from international sources misinformation because it’s not locally sourced. Do you think that other health experts aren’t taking information from the WHO as well? I’m not saying to ignore local sources, I’m saying that information posted from international sources on this forum is not misinformation. Which you keep implying is. 

am implying no such thing

i am being direct

in stating

it is unhelpful

to suggest bc authorities lack full expertise

in implementing a solid local plan

i am implying

that it is fine

to review other information sources

to satisfy yourself

that what is going on with the bc plan is completely valid

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

No doubt, we had a school strike when I was in Grade 8, such a glorious time.  

Although now they can find a way to give you homework via email I bet lol.

Edited by Tre Mac

March Madness officially cancelled, not delayed.

The BC CDC is giving an impression that are they are on top of things but are they really?   So far they have done squat except report on the number of COVID19 and giving recommendations on hand washing and self quarantine.    They should be more pro-active like banning large gatherings.   It's private organizations like the Vancouver Auto Show postponing the show and the Vaisakhi Organization cancelling their event that is doing what is needed.

If the BC CDC have a plan they are sure not showing it.   You only need to see what is happening in Italy to see the seriousness of the situation.   At a minimum schools should be closed before the situation get out of hand like in Italy.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

13 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Yeah except they'll care when they are in class in late July because the school closed for 3-4 weeks in March.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Obviously hygiene is important, but they now know this is an airborne virus, telling people that they'll be fine going about their regular business just wash your hands and don't touch your face is reckless (I don't mean you're saying that).

I'm a teacher and half my staff is travelling internationally this weekend and our school district didn't cancel school trips to Europe.......one teacher put her 16 year old on a plane to Europe yesterday.  If those people come back infected and we come back from spring break..........watch out.  I can tell you from years and years of experience, nothing spreads a virus faster than a school.

Hello fellow Vernonite. I am with you on this one. My 17 year old daughter’s friends just hopped on a plane on Wednesday to go on a two week trip to France and Italy. I was shocked to hear that the trip wasn’t cancelled.

As a tax accountant, I will be seeing hundreds of people in my office over the next few months. US tax filing and payment deadlines will likely be pushed back. Not sure if this will happen here in Canada. ATM we are looking at different ways to deal with our clients remotely, such as using portals to transmit information. One issue is that our older clients aren’t tech savvy and still want face to face contact.

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i am being direct

in stating

it is unhelpful

i am implying

that it is fine

to satisfy yourself

I think that the only caution I have when taking direction or information from a government agency is I dont know if/how they are muting or downplaying the severity of the situation in order to maintain some social order.    The global magnitude of the situation looks to me like its unprecedented (in my life time at least).  I dont think they can come out and tell us "yeah theres probably a bunch of people we cant track that are spreading this right now" even if they are thinking that.  Their words have to be carefully considered so that they dont instigate panic. 

With regards to the JR episode with Osterholm.  What gives him credibility, in my mind, aside from his credentials and his position, is that he practically predicted the current scenario a while ago in one of his publications - everything from the point of origin to how the Chinese government would handle the situation.  Not only that his org has published forecasts that are currently unfolding, outbreak magnitudes, rates of transmission etc...and he has been accurate - at least from what I can see.

But you are right, info needs to be considered with a level head and with trust (hopefully) from the authorities that are put in charge to lead us in these situations.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Hello fellow Vernonite. I am with you on this one. My 17 year old daughter’s friends just hopped on a plane on Wednesday to go on a two week trip to France and Italy. I was shocked to hear that the trip wasn’t cancelled.

"Wow! What a beautiful border..."

24 minutes ago, PCBABY said:

All my grandparents are dead. Its so upsetting and I cry about it all the time :rolleyes: 

That’s truly sad. I hear that their casting for a remake of Wizard Oz. You should try out. You’re a real natural. ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DonLever said:

The BC CDC is giving an impression that are they are on top of things but are they really?   So far they have done squat except report on the number of COVID19 and giving recommendations on hand washing and self quarantine.    They should be more pro-active like banning large gatherings.   It's private organizations like the Vancouver Auto Show postponing the show and the Vaisakhi Organization cancelling their event that is doing what is needed.

If the BC CDC have a plan they are sure not showing it.   You only need to see what is happening in Italy to see the seriousness of the situation.   At a minimum schools should be closed before the situation get out of hand like in Italy.

Right now they are trying to keep people calm. They will change their approach as soon as they see a clear increase in the community spread of the virus. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i am being direct

in stating

it is unhelpful

i am implying

that it is fine

to satisfy yourself

You completely disregarded the video someone posted earlier from a epidemiologist and recommended others do the same. You have repeatedly told people to ignore international information and stick to listening to local authorities. You have implied that people are posting misinformation because it’s not coming directly from the BC health experts. I repeat it is fine to listen to local authorities but don’t disregard the experts from around the world and don’t imply other sources from around the world are misinformation. I can go back and find quotes of you doing this. 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Right now they are trying to keep people calm. They will change their approach as soon as they see a clear increase in the community spread of the virus. 

It's ridiculous to me that we'd wait for that to happen when we can react now (never mind 2 weeks ago)...

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 2