CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Meat packing plants have definately spread the virus..

I thought i read most CDN's have covid strain from the USA.  Very VERY few Canadians got covid with a Chinese strain....  So basically  the BC chinese community did not really bring covid into BC...   Mostly BC Covid probably came in from CDN's that were visiting the USA ...

Maybe Eastern Canada has alot more USA border crossings/ tourism than BC does..

Just my theory... could be totally wrong ......

earliest travel cases in bc were from people returning from egypt, iran and china

and then there was that dental conference as well

this history of transmissions is shown in the early graphs when travel was tracked

community cases soon came on and most transmission was local

• Upvote 1

21st of June. 13,571 new cases in the US. 

Almost 2.25 MILLION cases. 

Almost 120,000 deaths. 

To put this into perspective:

US Forces deaths in Vietnam: 58,318

9/11: 2,996

And the second wave is supposed to be worse. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Almost 120,000 deaths. 

While the war statistics are interesting it isn't really the same situation I think other health related stats give a bigger picture of how many people are dying down there;

Need to keep in mind covid has only been around for less than half the year thus far so it will gain on on this list perhaps reach #3

image.png.5535dc467b89fa5e2de1a1cdcbf23423.png 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Almost 120,000 deaths. 

US Civil War I: 755,000 (est.)

WWII US casualties: 405,399

Covid: 122,000

WWI US casualties: 116,500

Vietnam: 58,318

Edited by Me_

20 minutes ago, Me_ said:

US Civil War I: 755,000 (est.)

WWII US casualties: 405,399

Covid: 122,000

WWI US casualties: 116,500

Vietnam: 58,318

US Civil War II - 6.37 milion (projected)

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

US Civil War II - 6.37 milion (projected)

You caught it ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chicken. said:

While the war statistics are interesting it isn't really the same situation I think other health related stats give a bigger picture of how many people are dying down there;

Need to keep in mind covid has only been around for less than half the year thus far so it will gain on on this list perhaps reach #3

Thing is, COVID comes on fast and furious and has no "cure".  The other things can be cured and some are also things that people may contribute to through lifestyle that can be changed.  Not so much with covid (other than taking precautions to avoid it).

Trying to lump it in with other things to prove a point only proves that it's something we all need to take very seriously and do everything in our power to contain and avoid spreading.

People with heart disease and cancer often know in advance and have hope of treatment.  COVID is basically a fingers crossed deal right now.

Posted (edited)

US CDC reports 27,616 new coronavirus cases vs 34,284 a day earlier

Mon 22 Jun 2020 17:53:48 GMT

Case growth in the US declines

Case growth in the US declines

The numbers reported Friday and Saturday were the first rises above 30,000 but we're back down now. That's likely a result of the weekend under-reporting effect but we'll just have to wait until later in the week to find out.

The CDC also reported 308 new deaths to bring the total just shy of 120,000.

The overall trend in the US right now is for fewer hospitalizations and deaths despite higher case numbers. How is that possible?

1. The virus is weakening
  2. Treatment is improving
  3. Younger people are getting the virus
That's generally good news but the part of about the virus weakening is certainly in dispute. A bigger factor is likely lower viral loads because of precautions.

The trend towards younger cohorts is backed up by data but the risk is that the waves of young people going out and getting infected in bars or social activities works its way through the 'food chain' and older and vulnerable people eventually get it, so cases spike again.

Texas governor says virus spreading at unacceptable rate

Mon 22 Jun 2020 19:22:32 GMT

Vice President also making some concerning comments about coronavirus on youth

The Texas Gov. is on the wires saying that the virus is spreading at an unacceptable pace.    Also it is being reported by ABC that Vice Pres. Pence told US governors that younger people are increasingly testing positive, a trend that is worrying experts.
Edited by nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, COVID comes on fast and furious and has no "cure".  The other things can be cured and some are also things that people may contribute to through lifestyle that can be changed.  Not so much with covid (other than taking precautions to avoid it).

Trying to lump it in with other things to prove a point only proves that it's something we all need to take very seriously and do everything in our power to contain and avoid spreading.

People with heart disease and cancer often know in advance and have hope of treatment.  COVID is basically a fingers crossed deal right now.

Of course its something we need to take seriously, as many have been. I was merely adding some more relevant annual stats than the world war war deaths totals.

Is there a cure for cancer ?  What causes cancer ?  Many people have recovered from COVID

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

And I also add that I can't directly give anyone else Heart Disease or Cancer.  Not so with Covid which is the main problem with this.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Of course its something we need to take seriously, as many have been. I was merely adding some more relevant annual stats than the world war war deaths totals.

Is there a cure for cancer ?  What causes cancer ?  Many people have recovered from COVID

People can recover from cancer.  Yes, many also have recovered from COVID but there's not real course of action in getting there.  It's mostly "relieve the symptoms" and cross your fingers.  Cancer offers radiation, chemotherapy, surgical removal of cancerous cells, etc.

Heart disease risks can be significantly reduced through lifestyle changes - reducing stress, quitting smoking, eating healthy, exercising.

When you get COVID there's little you can do to "combat it" other than wait and see. Ventilators offer help breathing but nothing is really there to try to reverse COVID.  

But you can spread covid and if you have cancer or heart disease, that isn't the case.  So it's about exponential growth.

No cure or absolutes with cancer, no.  But there is help that can be offered in a proactive way to try to save the life of a cancer victim.  Covid victims really can't do much other than try to avoid getting it...once they have it, it's manage the symptoms and hope you recover.

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People can recover from cancer.  Yes, many also have recovered from COVID but there's not real course of action in getting there.  It's mostly "relieve the symptoms" and cross your fingers.  Cancer offers radiation, chemotherapy, surgical removal of cancerous cells, etc.

Heart disease risks can be significantly reduced through lifestyle changes - reducing stress, quitting smoking, eating healthy, exercising.

When you get COVID there's little you can do to "combat it" other than wait and see. Ventilators offer help breathing but nothing is really there to try to reverse COVID.  

But you can spread covid and if you have cancer or heart disease, that isn't the case.  So it's about exponential growth.

No cure or absolutes with cancer, no.  But there is help that can be offered in a proactive way to try to save the life of a cancer victim.  Covid victims really can't do much other than try to avoid getting it...once they have it, it's manage the symptoms and hope you recover.

Heart disease is generally a product of one's lifestyle yes.

I didn't intend to get in a discussion about it and am in no way minimizing the dangerousness of covid for those at-risk. the fact it is easily contagious makes it scarier for many.

I think the cancer comparison is more accurate as there are still many unknowns. there are so many types of cancer and possible causes it's crazy. is there one cause for how a person develops cancer ?

I read that nearly 1 in 2 Canadians can expect to be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their life. 

With 102K covid cases in canada and 64K deemed recovered (most that had moderate symptoms were told to stay simply stay home and wait it out like Stawns) I think there is a pretty proactive method to save lives here unless you are immunocompromised in some way then of course you are at a higher risk no matter what disease or virus you contract. 

Hopefully a vaccine comes sooner than later so those higher risk individuals can live normally again.

4 hours ago, Chicken. said:

And the numbers for Covid are with unprecedented drastic risk control measures in place (ie. when was the last time borders across the world were closed?)... curfews all over the states, masks and gloves being worn, physical distancing protocols, gatherings to be limited, stores closed, quarantines and self isolation measures, etc. etc.  Sure there's people that break the rules, but I still believe the majority of people are following them... even in the USA.

Can you imagine if these measures were not in place? I'm pretty sure there would be 500,000 to 1,000,000 deaths in the States already.

In the past week, Mounties have issued seven $1,200 tickets to Americans violating public health orders in Banff National Park.

Cpl. Deanna Fontaine said Sunday that she could only speak to six of the seven tickets issued, noting they were in the Lake Louise area.

On June 16, RCMP responded to a complaint about an American-plated vehicle “parked at a location for a significant amount of time.” Upon investigation, police issued four tickets to the American citizens from the vehicle for contravening the order of the medical officer of health.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7091316/americans-visit-banff-national-park-tickets/

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

In the past week, Mounties have issued seven $1,200 tickets to Americans violating public health orders in Banff National Park.

Cpl. Deanna Fontaine said Sunday that she could only speak to six of the seven tickets issued, noting they were in the Lake Louise area.

On June 16, RCMP responded to a complaint about an American-plated vehicle “parked at a location for a significant amount of time.” Upon investigation, police issued four tickets to the American citizens from the vehicle for contravening the order of the medical officer of health.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7091316/americans-visit-banff-national-park-tickets/

Probably the same people reported to have gotten through the border by claiming they were driving to Alaska....  <_<

12 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Yes that is important to keep in mind. It could have been worse... and may well be in Phase2 if people become lax.

I may speak from a place of frustration here sometimes but I abide by the all recommendations for BC. I haven't seen my grandparents for many months since this pandemic and one of them died from cancer during this time. 2020 freakin sucks.

I hear you.  My wife and I do everything according to the PHA recommendations... and we live on the island where there is zero known active cases. 

The moment we, as a collective society, let up from the progress we have made is when the 2nd wave will hit us.  Likely worse than before.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I hear you.  My wife and I do everything according to the PHA recommendations... and we live on the island where there is zero known active cases. 

The moment we, as a collective society, let up from the progress we have made is when the 2nd wave will hit us.  Likely worse than before.

Toronto. Went for a walk to Best Buy downtown. An accumulated list of a few needed products.

Decided to count who had masks and who didn’t.

I counted 465 people walking toward me. I did not bother with the other side of the street, or people who were behind me. 292 did not wear a mask. 173 had a mask on.

About 63% of people are not wearing masks. 

Down from an estimate of 90-95% three weeks ago, now, 37% wear masks.

(edit) obviously the numbers were corrected lol

Edited by Me_
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Yes that is important to keep in mind. It could have been worse... and may well be in Phase2 if people become lax.

I may speak from a place of frustration here sometimes but I abide by the all recommendations for BC. I haven't seen my grandparents for many months since this pandemic and one of them died from cancer during this time. 2020 freakin sucks.

I'm really sorry to hear about your Grandparent...it's horrible to be kept apart during times when we really need to be together.

My sincere condolences.

• Sedinery 1