The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I get the enthusiasm..  but let’s get serious..    a single point ,  or the difference of 1 game separates us from IN or Out.

All the smiles around here could be flipped around emotion-cons in 3 days.  Lol

This is January 19, 2019 standing:

Calgary Flames* 50 32 13 5 69 187 143 .634 32 28-13-9 .650
San Jose Sharks* 50 28 15 7 63 178 155 .579 28 25-15-10 .600
Vegas Golden Knights* 50 29 17 4 62 154 134 .518 28 24-17-9 .570
Anaheim Ducks 49 21 19 9 51 119 145 .427 18 14-19-16 .449
Vancouver Canucks 49 22 21 6 50 142 154 .427 21 16-21-12 .449
Edmonton Oilers 48 23 22 3 49 138 153 .427 20 15-22-11 .427
Arizona Coyotes 47 21 22 4 46 124 136 .470 19 15-22-10 .426
Los Angeles Kings 49 19 26 4 42 110 147 .384 18 14-26-9

You can see 8 more points (+16%), and goal differential improvements of 25 points.

More important to me than being first in the division is how far our team has come in the past couple of years.  To see the progression of Jake, improvements in our talent pool, improvements in our lineup with the adds of different players really bodes well for a continued uptick that can be sustained.  

For all those people who wanted Green replaced...not seeing the need.  It seems from what the players say and the product on the ice that he has buyin from the group, they are playing well, improving both as a team and individually.  When I compare the comments our players make to comments from other teams (Karlsson last night?) our boys are all in on the plan.  

Are our systems and style perfect...no, but perhaps they are appropriate for where our team is in their development.  Will those systems change over time as our skill, depth and on ice knowledge improve...probably.  I remember in the past various coaches changing their styles to suit the talent level of the teams they had to work with, I expect we will see the same with our group.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

Is anyone able to embed After Hours from last night? I couldn't catch it because I'm in Sharks territory and was forced to listen to Randy Hahn! Couldn't find it on cbc's site or youtube.

Really like the Brock/Jake switch. Now Petey and Boes are the #1 trigger options on each line instead of trying to share oppurtunities. It also gives them 2 lunch pale linemates to help win battles and cycle down low. Before their line had 1 guy doing the spade work and they were both looking to weave through coverage. While Gaud's line is all spade with no true finisher. Now he and Rous can get down and dirty on the walls and find that sniper in the soft spot!

Such a nice little lineup tweek that looks like it could pay huge dividends if the chemistry on that RGB line takes!

9 hours ago, MattJVD said:

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't disagree with most of what you are saying but I am not too sure I can agree with JB being the Canucks' best GM ever. He may turn out to be the best but, at this point, it is difficult for me to give him that crown when the Canucks have yet to win a single playoff round during his tenure. To me, Pat Quinn is still the best the franchise has had.

Good points.  For me, PQ was a great leader: coach and President during his tenure but when it comes to what a GMs' job is (in my opinion), which is talent evaluation and accumulation, then JB takes the cake. 

When it comes to trades I would give PQ the edge cause by nature he seems to like making deals and he was able to fleeced some of his trading partners in the process: Naslund trade and the two huge St. Louis haul that helped formed the foundation for the 94 run (just to name a few).  As for JB, he seems to prefer a more patience approach, which is probably, due to his scouting background: drafting and development.  He seems to prefer accumulating his talent (especially, high end talent) through the draft or college FA (which is perfect in the cap era).

In my opinion, a leader should be judged based on there legacy: PQ has earned his place in the ROH (great coach and President) and JB -hopefully - will be there one day, as a GM and President (cuase at this moment, the position of President in the Canuck org remains vacant - perhaps they are giving JB an opportunity to earn it without the pressure of the title ?).  Still lots of work to be done but the team is trending in a good direction.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't disagree with most of what you are saying but I am not too sure I can agree with JB being the Canucks' best GM ever. He may turn out to be the best but, at this point, it is difficult for me to give him that crown when the Canucks have yet to win a single playoff round during his tenure. To me, Pat Quinn is still the best the franchise has had.

Burke made some beauty moves too. I know he's not well liked but that Sedin draft was good.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Burke made some beauty moves too. I know he's not well liked but that Sedin draft was good.

Burke also orchestrated the Peter Schaeffer for Sami Salo trade, which ranks as one of Vancouver's better ones

• Upvote 3

The Canucks have beat the teams they needed to beat the last couple weeks. And this morning the standings show that they beat Calgary, Edmonton, Vegas, Phoenix. And I remember how far back they we're at the end of November. Had they gotten through November a little cleaner they would be 6 or 7 points up. And to have a positive goal diff despite some blow-out losses speaks volumes.   

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The book on JB is still not closed, it began with BB then EP then QH and ?.   The prospect pipeline seems stacked despite not picking higher than fifth and trading picks.

Yet we are no worse off then Edmonton and all of their 1st round and #1 overall picks. :lol: