The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Puckster said:

Great win, First in Div. BUT.... two points out of Playoffs.....Think about it!

1 hour ago, Pettersson the goat said:

How can you be first in division and out of the playoffs? 

I think he meant that if we had 56 points instead of 58 we’d be outside of the playoff picture.

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

My favourite part of the game was when Sutter came back around into the scrum and went after Labanc or Meier or whoever that was - after taking the gloved punch to the face.

at first I was like: oh no! He’s taking it just like Daniel and then for the love of everything right in the world he entered the scrum and did some face washing.

this is all about moving in a different direction and Sutter helped lead that.  This is what leaders do.

turning the check needs to never be a part of Canucks hockey again.

I agree - with a few exceptions.

If it's Petey, or Hughes....I don't really want to see them engage - I want to see anyone and everyone else on the ice bum rushing the show.

p.s.  - I miss Gudbranson and Kassian - but I'm fine with where the team has moved if they act in a pack - like they did last night.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

EOn7ErWW4AE7ARH?format=jpg&name=large

Man, is this ever telling of the sad state of d-men we have drafted/developed over the past 50 years when Dave Dunn is 4th on this list. Dunn was barely an NHL capable d-man and only lasted a very short time for those of you that never saw him play.

Bobby Orr would have been 3rd on this list with 41 pts.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Demko seemed nervous in the first and part of the second, good thing, the Canucks had possession during a majority of those periods.  Atleast, he made the saves at the right moment to secure the win.  Great team win !

It seems that there has been a change in direction....this is what a puck possession game looks like (same as the Yotes game)...they only need to dump and chase when they need to (the last option).

• Cheers 1

Not going to sift through all 18 pages....I'll just say that might have been the best I've seen the Canucks all season...

Totally dominated the Sharts and the 4-1 final flattered San Jose big time. The best sign for me was after they gave up the goal.....no panic...no "oh no, here we go again"....just back to business and got the goal back.

If not for shots off the iron and into Dell's crest, this is a 7-1 blowout. Beautiful way to go into the break.

Oh yeah...and Quinn Hughes is ridiculously good.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Awesome all round performance 

solid body play, led by Edler

Jake is becoming a beast and finally realizing that with some hard work and effort he can be a force 

Hughes just continues to impress 

Good job boys 

Yeah, I bet JT Miller is a good influence for him....he has a role model now that can show him how to play to his strengths.

JT Miller is a beauty

Can't believe we have JT Miller!...Sure glad JB traded for JT Miller

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Pete M said:

It seems that there has been a change in direction....this is what a puck possession game looks like (same as the Yotes game)...they only need to dump and chase when they need to (the last option).

Ditto: noticed the difference in zone entry.  Pro sports is all about adjustments and it seems the staff has learned and is continue to evolve as well (good to know moving forward cause the games are going to get tougher).

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, I bet JT Miller is a good influence for him....he has a role model now that can show him how to play to his strengths.

JT Miller is a beauty

Can't believe we have JT Miller!...Sure glad JB traded for JT Miller

If I read lips correctly, JT told JV after that goal JT scorec "Not bad". It was like all business celebration. I like it

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

4. On the subject of EP, he played a very good game again tonight. He make a great pass to Edler that Edler rang off the crossbar and then EP had a great shot that rang off the post. It might be a bit premature to compare him to Henrik (the best player in Canuck history), but at every career stage so far he is well ahead of where Henrik was at the same age. And he just keeps getting better. I was impressed when he made a pretty hard hit about halfway through the game when I expected him to just peel off. He is a much more complete player than Henrik and, like Henrik, makes everyone around him better.

to think Henrik was only a 42 point player at 23 years old.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Burke made some beauty moves too. I know he's not well liked but that Sedin draft was good.

Yeah, I remember that trade but his drafting and developement was mostly meh or worst (2000 and 2002) but he did find some foundational pieces: Sedins, Edler, Bieksa and Kesler.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

11 hours ago, JamesB said:

2. Speaking of Loui and of the Horvat line more broadly, I have to repeat what I have written a lot lately. They have been great and Pearson came up big again tonight. They are playing like the best shutdown line in the league right now. Once again they were hard-matched in a shutdown role against the other team's top line. Horvat played over 13 minutes at 5-on-5 against Kane, Beagle and Gaudette each played less than one minute, and Petey played under 3 minutes. And once again the Horvat line won the Corsi battle and obviously won the scoring battle. Loui's contract will still be a big problem as team hits a cap crunch in two years when EP and Hughes have to be re-signed, but right now he has become a very valuable player. And he is obviously feeling a lot better about himself. Although I have been critical of him, one thing I liked is that even when everyone was down on him, he always played responsible defence when he was out there.  

I'm really enjoying the Lazarus Line.

If this can continue its an edge no one expected, and Jim doesn't have to overpay with futures for a TDL rental. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, classic case of late bloomer and perhaps once the roster had moved on from the WCE they blossomed...

read a story that the Sedins give credit to Anson Carter during their break-out year 2005-06 for influencing them to play their game...to keep with it.

• Upvote 2

@ShawnAntoski @Pete M  

To be fair, Sedins played in a really tough era to score.  Just as a little sidenote, Jarome Iginla won the scoring title in 2001-02 by getting 96 points, and the runner up was our very own Markus Naslund with 90 points.  

If you look at last year, Kucherov won it with 128 and McDavid was second with 116 points.  Iginla would've finished tied for 10th.