The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

My favourite part of the game was when Sutter came back around into the scrum and went after Labanc or Meier or whoever that was - after taking the gloved punch to the face.

at first I was like: oh no! He’s taking it just like Daniel and then for the love of everything right in the world he entered the scrum and did some face washing.

this is all about moving in a different direction and Sutter helped lead that.  This is what leaders do.

turning the check needs to never be a part of Canucks hockey again.

I'm just being a wiseguy but I bet both Sedin's would kick the living crap out of you. :P

13 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

They had an agreement with the Moose and the Mooses' main mandate was not to develope and play Canucks prospects.

Winnipeg was required to have an NHL affiliate when they moved from the IHL to the AHL. That became Vancouver and the Canucks provided their coach (Smyl and later AV) so I would say there was the same commitment to developing Canucks prospects as much as we see in Utica today. I believe the Canucks provided them with all their players other than AHL contracted players and again that would be the same with Utica today. What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Winnipeg was required to have an NHL affiliate when they moved from the IHL to the AHL. That became Vancouver and the Canucks provided their coach (Smyl and later AV) so I would say there was the same commitment to developing Canucks prospects as much as we see in Utica today. I believe the Canucks provided them with all their players other than AHL contracted players and again that would be the same with Utica today. What am I missing?

Maybe I misheard a radio discussion about the Moose during the time when the Canucks were purchasing the Comets, in which the person being interviewed mentioned that the Moose also had some say on personel decision that ultimately, had to benefit the Mooses' fortune for that season.   Regardless, we are now seeing the benefits of owning a farm team and having a GM that is capable of filling it.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think JB has positioned himself to be a moderate seller at the deadline (if players get healthy before that) while still maintaining some depth at all positions.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Canucks in a playoff position but still focus on the rebuild by finding new homes for the gluttony of bottom 6 forwards they current have. If they make the playoffs, there's no first rounder, so giving Brackett, Benning, and co. a few more bullets in the chamber is a must.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Canucks in a playoff position but still focus on the rebuild by finding new homes for the gluttony of bottom 6 forwards they current have. If they make the playoffs, there's no first rounder, so giving Brackett, Benning, and co. a few more bullets in the chamber is a must.

Geez, it looks like we already upgraded our draft position in the 7th round by trading out our 7th and obtaining Anaheim's 7th...........and you want more? :bigblush:

4 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

I’d stick with Rous. The energy he brings  to the team, plus the chemistry with Gaud is great. Plus he’s a meat and potatoes guy. 

They showed him twice on the bench last night talking to guys who were cracking up.

You can tell he’s a guy that is liked by his teammates and has the ability to keep things light and positive. That’s a very important aspect to a team. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points and (in my opinion) it seems to vary with the opponents but last night they were also playing like they knew a long break was coming.  At the same time, they also set the tone early and reminded the Sharks that there is a new top fish in the Pacific - great statement game.

You mean the Orca, the apex predator, is back and eats Great Whites for lunch ...?;)

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Great post.  The Virtanen/Boeser switch is definitely paying off on the first line, but is also a vote of confidence in Brock's ability to raise the level of the 3rd line in the ways you're saying.  It's an investment in Gaudette's development to play with a high end winger who is a pretty decent playmaker, an area where Gaudette is still learning.  Whatever the short term results may be, this is going to pay off in the longer run.

I'd love to see this more long term, as you can see JV confidence with them improving two folds.  It will also give us options if we need to move the two R up and down, as they'll be comfortable with more than one line, and will be harder to match up. I find Jake drives the play better, and loses the puck less than BB i.e., the play doesn't die.  His takeaways/giveaway ratio is better and really helps this line obviously his speed helps that.  And I think the 1st line looks better with speed in the game.  BB is good, but I'm starting to think JV style suits them better.  Just a IMHO.

Edited by iBlueGreen
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, iBlueGreen said:

You mean the Orca, the apex predator, is back and eats Great Whites for lunch ...?;)

Seems like it last night because the Sharks, was not able to dictate tone of play and if not, for Dell having a horseshoe stuck up his %$$, the score would had been alot worsed.  

1 minute ago, iBlueGreen said:

I'd love to see this more long term, as you can see JV confidence with them improving by 2 two folds.  It will also give us options if we need to move the two R up and down, as they'll be comfortable with more than one line, and will be harder to match up. I find Jake drives the play better, and loses the puck less than BB i.e., the play doesn't die.  His takeaways/giveaway ratio is better and really helps this line obviously his speed helps that.  And I think the 1st line looks better with speed in the game.  BB is good, but I'm starting to think JV style suits them better.  Just a IMHO.

Great to see the versatility of the roster...

17 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

38227707914_8167b87e0c_o.gif

Deflating tank is always lolz... +Burrr for you good sir 

That being said, I don't think anyone in the organization ever thought tanking is remotely in the picture this season. Which is likely why Trevor stepped aside, because he didn't realize what Jim had already put together... He like some in our fan base believed we need to "suck" for one more year and get more prospects. 

We were bottom feeders for 4 of 5 years and picked early in the draft. The one year we actually made the playoffs Jim pulled a freakin rabbit out of his hat and took Brock 23rd and the hockey Gaud in the 5th round. 

We have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL... Not to mention plenty of star caliber players in their early 20s already proven in the NHL. 

We are the ONLY team in the NHL to have two phenoms 20 and 21 years old in the two most important positions of the game... C & D in Quinn and Pete. 

Our supporting cast is stronger than ever. Our depth is stronger than ever. 

Canucks nation needs to start to believe that a cup is due. If we're going to win a cup, the time is now. Having Petey and Quinn on ELC is the biggest advantage we'll ever have cap wise. 

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lots of different pundits were proven wrong tonight.

Loui isn't just an empty net goal seeker, Sutter is not useless but is a physical presence and crucial leader to the team, and Virtanen with Petey and Miller has given this team a different look with speed and depth for the other lines.

Especially that last point, lots of screaming going on from some posters in the last GDT that Virtanen was on that first line.  Glad he proved that it can be a viable option in the short term.

Love the way you worded this. Got chills reading it. 

I love that Jake has moved up and Brock is on the 3rd. Spreading the wealth has paid dividends... Brock is such a threat out there that his presence alone creates more space for Rooster and Gaud. That line has been a treat to watch. 

Well to be honest all 4 lines have been a treat to watch. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

They looked very good together.  Roussel and Gaudette's aggressive forecheck and relentless hounding style relents to a lot of turnovers to which Boeser has the skill to dictate play on his own.  With Petey you started to see him lose that play driving ability, but now being forced to play with players that increase the work ethnic and tempo has elevated his own game. 

Still some adjusting, but overall he adds a very good element of skill and puck possession to that line, while the other two create space through their forecheck and speed.  Frankly, you are also seeing how Boeser's ability to slow the pace a bit down is influencing Gaudette and Roussel to take that extra second to make a better pass or play.

You see the same effects reverberate in the opposite way with Virtanen with Pettersson and Miller, where he gives them pace and a quick strike attack (which we saw on Miller's goal tonight).  Virt has emerged throughout the season to have better vision than what some people had thought, and playing with more offensive minded players is helping Jake process the game more efficiently too.  That first line looked really good in all three zones, using speed, puck possession, to create space really made a difference tonight.

Bo's line with Pearson and Loui seemed to really have found their chemistry and seem to have solidified themselves as a trio.  By far the best line tonight.  They look confident, comfortable with one another, and provide such a sound two way game that they easily feed off each other in all three zones for support.  The familiarity is there, and you are seeing more instinctual plays and reads off one another now.

Green also has the luxury, now that he has a full complement of shutdown forwards - of sheltering Gaudette more thoroughly - ie last night Gaudette did not have a single dzone start - it was exclusively ozone - and I think this suits Boeser a bit better as well - he is a sniper and not quite the 200 ft - or transition - player that Virtanen is.   Now that Green can weight Gaudette more heavily to the ozone and avoid matchups he doesn't like, he can lean more towards focusing on their strengths / upside, conditions to produce and be successful.  In that context, it isn't as necessary to 'shelter' Gaudette with both Roussel and Virtanen on his line, he can lean towards more exclusively secondary scoring opportunites for Gaudette's line - which was one of the reasons I expected his production to increase with the returns of Sutter, Motte and Beagle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1