The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

11.5 million ticking disaster averted ?

Yes. I remember taking some abuse when I suggested, before he was traded, that because of his age and what it would cost to re-sign him, that I didn't want to acquire him.

But it is pretty obvious that the contract it takes to sign a player like that will become an albatross contract, more likely sooner than later. Can you imagine not having enough room to sign Petey or Quinn because we are paying EK $11.5 million cap hit until he is 37?

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes. I remember taking some abuse when I suggested, before he was traded, that because of his age and what it would cost to re-sign him, that I didn't want to acquire him.

But it is pretty obvious that the contract it takes to sign a player like that will become an albatross contract, more likely sooner than later. Can you imagine not having enough room to sign Petey or Quinn because we are paying EK $11.5 million cap hit until he is 37?

There were also plenty on here that were dead set against going after Karlsson, either through trade or via free agency. 

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

EP and QH seems to have a demeanor that they want to be the best and be a champion (fingers crossed), whereas, EK strikes me as an easy going person (but talented hockey player).  If I was GM, I would had been hesitant to sign him with term.  As a Canuck fan, he kinda did the Pacific, a favor by signing that contract and we get to watch him be anchor to that team (maybe but it seems to be trending that way).  Hopefully, JB and his are learning from situations like these...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Karlsson does have 36 points in 49 games (which is 2nd on his team) which would put him at the highest point producing dman. I'd argue he'd have even more with the way our offense had been rolling too as compared to SJ. Now of course comes the cap space and potential decline.

When I originally wanted him, I didn't project him to cost as much as he ended up getting (and didn't want to trade for him). The market went a bit nuts. I was expecting more around 9.5. If we had signed him to that, then subtract Myers and Ferland and we are in the same cap situation. So we would lose some size, but Karlsson easily handles Myers' minutes and more and Ferland is out anyway (of course this wouldn't have been known at the time of the signing).

As for declining, that's something that has to be seen over time because he hasn't declined IMO yet and many dmen (good ones anyway) have been able to extend their careers into their late 30s at a reasonably top level still.

Now of course had we signed EK, Hughes may not get the same opportunities that's he's being given now, so there is that negative effect, but his cap worry is also lessened. If we could afford Myers and Ferland for the next 4 years, surely we could've made it work with EK's cap. Of course I had projected less and with the additional 2 million makes it that much harder, so in hindsight (although Benning knew we were out of the running well before with his comments during his UFA time, so he had a better knowledge of what kind of deal was expected to make it happen) it would've been challenging to fit him in long term.