The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks #1 in Pacific division heading into all star break with games in hand.

Rate this topic

koregen

17 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Hate to be a downer here but if Vegas wins tomorrow they will technically be #1 in the division  

However the Canucks will have 3 games in hand. Not to mention that they are playing Boston. Not a sure thing. 

3 hours ago, spur1 said:

However the Canucks will have 3 games in hand. Not to mention that they are playing Boston. Not a sure thing. 

That's why I chose my wording carefully I said technically. 

I personally think the Canucks have the best chance of staying in first because of the games in hand. The Canucks and Edmonton have statistical the best chance of making the playoffs over

Vegas, Cal, Ari, and Winning due to the fact they have the games in hand.

Van and Edmonton can lose more games then those other teams and still be ahead. 

22 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Hate to be a downer here but if Vegas wins tomorrow they will technically be #1 in the division  

The Knight's next game is in Boston.......I'm cool with that.  Can't think of anywhere else worse for them right now.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

If they win will it be enough for their winning percentage to surpass us?  Not sure it will be so there is always that...

Points are the first tie breaker last time I checked 59 would be > 58

Even with games in hand at this point if Vegas wins they would take 1st place

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Points are the first tie breaker last time I checked 59 would be > 58

Even with games in hand at this point if Vegas wins they would take 1st place

Good new the Bruins won, so you can't stop worrying about other teams.....playing their own games?  Cause that will be happening a lot 

On 1/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, koregen said:

The pacific division is real tight as usual and only 1 point separates the top 5 teams, however the Canucks find themselves on top with games in hand. The surprising part is that the bottom 2 teams of the Pacific division also hold the wild card spot.

The sharks have been out muscling and intimidating the Canucks for so many years it feels so good to beat them tonight and to see their vets loosing their cool(Thornton's late hit on Sutter).

The best part about this season is that this is a fun team to watch, they are scoring goals and counting on offense instead of playing trap and defense to win games. It's a good time to be a Canucks fan and being such a young team the future seasons look bright.

I'm not surprised, better roster, better depth. We were supposed to be the bottom 5 by all the media etc starting with the Miller deal (after he stole pods) so losing what will end up being a late first rounder was funny and JT fit immediately.. Shows how much they know but a lot of people were fooled and repeated it here... Geeez.. 

Will we make it deep into the playoffs? Assuming we do and other teams have sustained injuries to their stars, then who knows... 

I think the Canucks could be better the second half than the first.  The team has finally gelled these last 5 games or so.  They also have a ton of home games left where they have been dominant.  The one team I’d be scared of is Calgary if they figure it out, but besides that I think the Canucks are the best team in the Pacific.

What I don’t understand how everyone seems convinced that Vegas is gonna run away with the division.  Like seriously people have already penciled them in to that number 1 spot.  Let’s look at the stats.  They have played the most games in the Pacific division, they have played the most home games in the Pacific division (where they have done most of their damage), and they have 27 losses which is the same as the Minnesota Wild, they have just been getting all the loser points.  They have clearly been the worst team out of the entire playoff race including Winnipeg and Chicago and I could totally see them being the team falling out of the race.  Let’s say that the playoff line is 95 points, Vegas would have to go 19-11 (.633) to make it which is a pretty steep hill to climb, compare that to the Canucks who only have to go 18-14-1 (.561) which is a pretty hefty difference.  For comparables the Avs have a .633 win percentage this year which is 7th in the league while the Arizona is .559 which is 17th in the league.  And this isn’t even to win the division.  Vegas has to almost be a top 5 team to reach the playoff bar for normal years meanwhile the Canucks can be below average.  This is why I don’t believe Vegas will be anywhere near the top of the division at the end of the season.

• Cheers 1

I'm super happy we are in 1st, but with such a tight race, games will get harder. All teams that are within a point of us are good enough to get in, so there will be a couple of good teams that just don't quite make it.

My son asked me today if I thought the Canucks will make the playoffs. I said at the start of the season and still believe we will. But that might just ve homerism talking...

My take: Edmonton collapses and doesn't make it. Though I live in Calgary, I am not sure this team makes it either. I think there is opportunity for us to squeak in - either that, or we prove more resiliency than I expect and we surge in the 2nd half.

Lets go Canucks!

Unless you're a tanker,  the CAP and league parity is widening  the playoff race to a point where almost any team has a shot. To temper my expectations I look at the Leafs who have about the same record but are way behind in the east. It's perhaps a perfect storm for our return to the post season.