The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire Green!

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

5 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Fire Green: :lol:

FBFA8E5F-4ADF-4E7F-AC8D-4EB5E38AFC80.jpeg

ya, I always thought firing Sullivan was kind of a "baby out with the bathwater' type move

I always liked Torts, although I understand why he was fired,

But Sullivan had already been a head coach for 2 years before several years as assistant,

and all he did was win the Cup the 2 seasons following his firing from Vancouver

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m very open to the idea of possibly replacing Travis Green with Gerard Gallant at the end of the season.  I am very impressed with Gallant’s body of work and body in general.

The high pressure system would be great with the Canucks roster

He would love utilizing

Virtanen

Miller 

Toffoli

Pearson

Horvat

Sutter

I think he fits bennings outlook better aswell

• Upvote 1

I think if we miss the playoffs this year.... It will fire Benning.   Traded away a first , and a second , a third and a top 5 prospect, to get us there this year.....

Very disappointing if the club falls short. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think if we miss the playoffs this year.... It will fire Benning.   Traded away a first , and a second , a third and a top 5 prospect, to get us there this year.....

Aside from having a punishing physical top 4 dman I think green has everything he needs to be in a position to succeed

Benning is not the problem. The passive d system and lack of adjustments to game play is the problem

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Disappointing, yes. But I feel there is still confidence in Benning by ownership, and there probably should be based on the team he has assembled - all while rebuilding the prospect pool.

Besides a few questionable moves here and there (which all GMs do), I feel on paper our team is a very good one. Even (perhaps especially) our defense has really solid names in it, and should be performing better as a whole. 

The roster is built with depth, speed, skill, AND size. IMO if anyone complains about our lineup on paper, I would tell them to give their head a shake.

So with that in general agreement, the only thing left is coaching. 

I like Green. I think the team plays hard for him. But the systems being used just aren't working as well as they need to be - particularly from a defensive perspective. I feel a different coach *could* help us. On the other hand, I feel firing him could potentially change team chemistry (which by all accounts is excellent) and it is possible a large part of our problem is simply having a young team. 

At the end of the day, I don't think I would want to risk it at this point quite yet. We still came a long way from last year.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. That's why guys like Mac, and Tryamkin, even though not a fighter per se, will make the opposition seriously consider the consequences. 

If only every one including Ferland was here and healthy right now.. 

Easy to see that JT Miller is going to be a fire starter in the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Maybe they can blame injuries for the 4th year in a row. 

38 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Aside from having a punishing physical top 4 dman I think green has everything he needs to be in a position to succeed

Benning is not the problem. The passive d system and lack of adjustments to game play is the problem

It's possible some of the players having great seasons, wouldn't be playing as well under a different system.  

The good players on this team are for the most part excelling.  However, our bottom 2 lines and D pairing are awful.  It's not the coach IMO, it's the role players.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. That's why guys like Mac, and Tryamkin, even though not a fighter per se, will make the opposition seriously consider the consequences. 

No they won't.  That's not how hockey works anymore.  Gudbranson was on the ice when Henrik almost had his head taken off my Khadri, after people on CDC were talking about how he'll be a deterrent.  Rats will always be rats, big hitters will throw big hits.. and laugh at you as if you take penalties on them. 

Tikkanen, Burrows, Kesler, Cooke, Torres, Lapierre.  Did any of these Canucks not ever play their game because some tough guy was on the ice?  

53 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

No they won't.  That's not how hockey works anymore.  Gudbranson was on the ice when Henrik almost had his head taken off my Khadri, after people on CDC were talking about how he'll be a deterrent.  Rats will always be rats, big hitters will throw big hits.. and laugh at you as if you take penalties on them. 

Tikkanen, Burrows, Kesler, Cooke, Torres, Lapierre.  Did any of these Canucks not ever play their game because some tough guy was on the ice?  

Regardless, I would always rather have guys like that on my team. As long as Tryamkin plays a steady game, he's going to put guys on notice. 

Expectations are playoffs and anything more than 1 playoff win is a Cinderella season. 

Would anyone hire Ron Hextal as a GM to rebuild a team ? his handy work is paying dividends this season. 1 more season and he could have gone zero to hero, but it’s tough business and people want to see results now.

missing the playoffs might be tough on Travis , even though he is doing a good job. He hasn’t deserved to be fired this far though. 

11 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Maybe they can blame injuries for the 4th year in a row. 

It's possible some of the players having great seasons, wouldn't be playing as well under a different system.  

The good players on this team are for the most part excelling.  However, our bottom 2 lines and D pairing are awful.  It's not the coach IMO, it's the role players.  

You're right.

I like greens offensive structure. But the defensive coverage is and always has been too easy on the other team. And in my opinion is holding the team back hugely

• Cheers 1

Fire Green...

Idk why we would want to send that message to the room atm.  We currently in a playoff spot while dealing with some significant injuries, games in hand and a very young club.  If we don't make the playoffs, then the whole coaching and management staff will be on notice, but that's an if.  

Green and co have made adjustments all season long and have done far better than anyone predicted.  So fire him?  

Did we all watch and follow the team last year?  how about the year before?   So we didn't fire Green then, but now that we as close as could be to ending the playoff drought and that's the time to fire Green.  

None of this makes much sense to me.  We didn't fire JB and look what he did this season, look at the improved roster, the amazing youth movement he brought about.  Where would we be had we fired him 3 years ago, no Pettersson, no Hughes, no Miller etc...  

This is not the time for impatience.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is all I see being accomplished by such a move.  Green hasn't stagnated, nor has the room tuned him out.  Clearly the club is on the rise and Green is a big part of that.  

Is this group hit its peak?  Not even close.  Even if the team fails to reach the playoffs, the season should be viewed positively, in terms of the past 5 years.  And if the team does miss, someone is going to take the hit.  Likely Green.  With what JB did this season, I don't want to see him depart.  

But that hasn't occurred and hopefully doesn't.  Until we miss, if we miss, this thread is a bit weird.  If we get in, it is absolutely unnecessary, unless we get hammered in the 1st round, like swept.  IMO.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t understand why he is so attached to Bo’s line being the shut-down line? What makes him thinks the Gaudette line and the Sutter line could pick up the scoring after the first line?

2 hours ago, ey40 said:

I don’t understand why he is so attached to Bo’s line being the shut-down line? What makes him thinks the Gaudette line and the Sutter line could pick up the scoring after the first line?

The 3rd and 4th lines haven't shown they can do anything.  

On 2/28/2020 at 8:28 PM, kingofsurrey said:

If we fail to make the playoffs Benning's not getting canned. More likely that Green is fired from failing to adjust to a team without Markstrom.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m very open to the idea of possibly replacing Travis Green with Gerard Gallant at the end of the season.  I am very impressed with Gallant’s body of work and body in general.

He's got a good looking body, good girth, I think he's six foot four measured.

• Haha 1