The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest surprise by the break....besides Hughes

Rate this topic

danjr

Best surprise player by stats  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

Besides all the obvious players, I think Tanev needs to get some love. He’s been healthy all season, playing big minutes against opposing teams top players, which has been allowing Hughes play to his strengths. Chris has been a defensive general on the backend this season; we definitely wouldn’t be where we are without him playing the way he has so far. 

Yes Tanev's play has been pretty awesome, but really hard to quantify statistically.  He shows up every night and blocks those opposing howitzers.

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Loui Eriksson's professionalism.

I hate his contract, have since day one.  Haven't heard him with a negative peep all year.  He earns extra kudos for the PK and being out there in a late game shut down role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm going a little off script and saying Green putting Boeser with AG. Initially I was not thrilled by this, but if it works out and it produces three dangerous scoring lines it might be genius. 

It helps both Pettersson and Boeser by changing the physicality dynamic. Gaudette is a big physical presence who has sweet hands in his own right - not quite "Petey" hands but still good.

Virtanen is showing that he belongs, at least right now. Boeser gets away from the matchups against "Pettersson" and might have an easier go of scoring goals.

Defending a one-line-team is surprisingly easy. "Do your best" against that one line - they might score, they might not... but do your best. BUT... then bury that team when they have to put any of the other 3 lines out - see: Oilers.

Having 3 rolling lines, all of which can hem a team in the zone and be a real legit threat to score on any given play is a good move. I was in the definite minority when I said even at the outset of the year that Pettersson and Boeser should be split up in 5v5. Now they have and I think it will pay dividends in time.

Pearson for me, thought he'd hit his ceiling and was expendable.. happy to be wrong.. honourable mention to Jake, still needs to clean up some areas, but producing some offence while not being a liability.. 

disappointments would be Ferland for health reasons, and Benn for not being capable of 3rd pair duties.. also hoped Myers would be more consistent, I find him a bit Jekyll & Hyde

the worrying thing is when a team is being driven by the success of 'surprises' (Miller, Virtanen, Gaudette, Hughes, Pearson), not all of it is going to be sustainable. Obviously Miller and Hughes look sustainable, and Gaudette and Virtcould even continue to improve, but with Virtanen and Gaudette getting raises this summer, will their continued growth be able to outpace the increase in their salaries?

Like others have said,

Marky - saw him growing as a player but didn't expect him to be an All-Star

Pearson - for rebounding spectacularly (for a cap dump, we got a top-6 winger with winning pedigree)

Gaudette/ Jake - didn't expect them to take such big steps forward

Miller - agreed with Deb, didn't know what we had, getting a top line Swiss Army knife

I would add Tyler Motte for this though, for his cost he brings great energy and also some offense.  Probably unsung hero (either him or Leivo)

The biggest surprised, for me,  is Green. 

I know Green is a good coach, but for youth.

This year, he is very closed to the all star coach, and he made the four lines effective.

He switches Brock and Jake, it is a wonderful switch.

Just from the listing, there is difficult to vote JT or Jake, finally I voted Jake.

Because I trust BN trade him with big costs, he should become a very good player of Canucks.

The most disappointment, of course, is Ferland.  

Hoping he will turn around in near future.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

It helps both Pettersson and Boeser by changing the physicality dynamic. Gaudette is a big physical presence who has sweet hands in his own right - not quite "Petey" hands but still good.

Virtanen is showing that he belongs, at least right now. Boeser gets away from the matchups against "Pettersson" and might have an easier go of scoring goals.

Defending a one-line-team is surprisingly easy. "Do your best" against that one line - they might score, they might not... but do your best. BUT... then bury that team when they have to put any of the other 3 lines out - see: Oilers.

Having 3 rolling lines, all of which can hem a team in the zone and be a real legit threat to score on any given play is a good move. I was in the definite minority when I said even at the outset of the year that Pettersson and Boeser should be split up in 5v5. Now they have and I think it will pay dividends in time.

my issue with it initially is you can actually have success as a 1 line team, if that one line is elite. And sometimes when you 'spread out the talent' it just makes you an easier team to defend against. Miller-Petey-Brock seemed to me to be on the cusp of elite so I was initially po'd at the move. But Brock already seems to be adapting. 

The new 3 top lines need to be dangerous for this to really work imo. So if thats the result, its going to be a very interesting finish to the year. 

i was a supporter of the jt miller trade since it was made

last season i really wanted stone

i viewed miller as a slightly lesser player then stone..... stone-lite

but he was a very good acquisition in my view

a solid trade at the time

but man, he has exceeded my expectations

he is playing equal to stone this season and is on a much friendlier contract

this trade is turning out to be a master stroke

miller his very productive

he is able to play all 3 forward positions..  has an outstanding face off percentage

is a solid body who plays a heavy game which cannot be ignored by opposition players

at times, he can be the glue or difference maker, on any of the top 3 lines

he has really taught ep40 and brock a lot about playing the nhl game so far this season

he has a temper, really hates to lose, gets frustrated visibly

this could be a negative, but i think on this team it is a positive

to me he is the biggest surprise

did not see this production from him

and he has been consistent and played at this point per game level since he joined the team

13 hours ago, danjr said:

Well at break the team is doing much better than most have imagined.  Some players have really taken an additional step.

Who is your fav among those in the poll.  Or who did I miss.

As an additional, write in who is the biggest disappointment to date.  There are a few on the team that haven't lived up to what the fans expected.

Jacob Markstrom - Biggest winning percentage of his career

Thatcher Demko - extremely solid numbers as a young goalie 26 games into his career

J.T. Miller - on track to be his career best season

Jake Virtanen - already career bests

Tanner Pearson - On track for career best points, maybe even goals 

Adam Gaudette - twice as good as he was last year and not a liability

I vote for J.T. Miller.  He's been impressive to watch.

Biggest disappointment is Benn.  I really thought he was going to be a game changer on the back end.

I chose other, even bigger then Hughes or Petty or miller or anyone else's accomplishment, the biggest surprise to me is how much these guys want to win for each other. How fast these guys have come together as a team, and how fast the young guys have matured. You listen to Hughes, Petty, Boeser and Gaud as well,  interviews and they come off as old pros and not like kids. You listen to Horvat Millers and lesser extent some of the older guys like Sutter and Beagle and they sound like leaders. Everyone is buying in. Everyone is playing and excepting their role on the team. If there is any issues among the this team, we the fans or the Media are not hearing it. This was most true through the November losing streak, it almost feels they came out of Nov stronger and more assured of themselves as a team.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Like 1

Has to be Miller.  I don't think anyone expected that from him and right out of the gate.

But all of those choices are pleasant surprises

Markstrom's grabbing the gauntlet, putting an exclamation point on his improvements last season. 

Jake's recent confidence in using his speed and skill, and performing every night. He's had a great month. Lets see him keep it going.

Pearson's production. A trade where we exchanged an over-hyped defenseman, for an under-hyped sniper!.

Gaudette is progressing along well. Love his shot. Still makes mistakes, like all rookies

Demko shows great promise but he needs more starts to prove himself

Another nice surprise is Bo's play. He had a rough time of it without a home goal, or much other production, for a long stretch, but has he ever bounced back. Bo is the perfect choice as captain for the team right now.

I'm also a wee bit surprised, pleasantly so, at how Petey has not yet suffered any sophomore slump. Blows me away still that we have him. Have to watch how he handles fatigue in his second season, being as he tailed off badly last season.

Surprised that Louie is playing with some kind of consistency of effort, like a true professional, never complaining....other than that ONE time, come on. .  i think the new young talent, the winning, that new excitement around the team helped him to give a dam again. Good for him, he's costing our cap 6 million. At least if he keeps playing like this, he'd be earning at least half of that. uh...woo hoo.

Bad surprises.  I miss Boeser's wicked shot from the circle on the PP. Not that I'm complaining about Huggey and Petey doing most of the shooting. But defensively he still is prone to be stick checked off the puck, and he's not the fastest skater. But he's putting up points. We need him. And playing at the top of his game. He's still getting better.

Beagle, other than face off work, has been a little lacklustre, for his cap hit.   And Schaller is a minor disappointment, at least lately.

Myers, but only a minority of time on the ice. He'll just have his moments. He can be bad at making the quick  decision with the puck and has been known to, in a panic, pass it directly to the opposition at times even. But his size and strength in the corners is greatly needed. And he can have a good shot.

Tanev. Still the Tanman, Still makes smart decisions with the puck. Just not as quickly as before. I guess that's really no surprise. I should be surprised he's still healthy this season, so far knock on wood.

With a little luck on our side we could have a long ride this season.

Miller has been magic... but somehow I felt at the time JB knew this was going to be the case, since he was prepared to give up a first and a third.Therefore didn't feel he was the biggest surprise.

Jake has been great to watch, but again don't see this as a huge surprise as he has improved year on year, and will continue to do so.

(I took some stick for suggesting playing Jake on the first line with EP and JT in the beginning of the season, and playing Brock with Bo... didn't see Eriksson fitting in as well as he has)

I think the biggest surprise is Pearson production... many did not believe, he would be able to carry on with the scoring form, he showed after being acquired. But he has .

Finally as have been mentioned already... honorary mention to Eriksson for perseverance.... good on him...

• Cheers 2

Pearson, he's a big pleasant surprise to me. I'm not surprised about Miller for some reason although he's probably delivered above and beyond expectations but I knew he was always a threat out there. 

Edited by nucklehead
  • Upvote 1