The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest surprise by the break....besides Hughes

Rate this topic

danjr

Best surprise player by stats  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pearson's numbers are fantastic. I think he's still got more room before he maxes out. He's my biggest surprise. 

Also the call ups of MacEwan and Graovac were timely and surprisingly effect when we needed size. 

On a different level, I'm surprised at the leaps forward some of our propspects have taken in Utica. In that small sample last year, Rafferty looked like he belonged. I'm not surprised that Rafferty was going to be good in Utica but I didn't think he would be blowing past most of the roster in points. Especially a Dman. I've been saying for a long time that we need someone to emerge from the shadows to be dominant, and it's happening.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
This edit was a surprise to me.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's tough to say. There are a lot of great stories this year.

-The most logical answer is probably Miller. We traded for a 45 point winger and wound up with a near PPG center with one of the best FO percentages in the league. That's a massive win however you slice it. 

- Pearson would be up there as well. He's been known to be a pretty inconsistent player throughout his career, and I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off, but they just aren't. He's on pace for 60+ points, has great chemistry with Bo, plays a nice heavy game, can play at both ends of the rink and plays both specials teams. We got that FOR GUDBRANSON. 

- Virtanen and Gaudette's progression kinda goes without saying, but I think they were both at least somewhat expected to improve upon what they did last year, although with the way preseason started for Virtanen, he probably should be in the conversation as well.

- I'd like to throw an honorary shoutout to Leivo as well. Most of us questioned Green when he showed such obvious favoritism to Leivo to start the season, but the guy kept improving and improving, to the point where he was looking like a top 6 forward playing with Bo and Pearson. It's such a damn shame that his season ended the way it did. Hopefully we can resign him for a reasonable price and he's able to continue building on the success he was having before he went down. I imagine he's have pretty similar numbers to Virtanen had he not gone down

- Biggest disappointment would be how the Ferland signing has turned out thus far. I thought it was a great move at the time. Didn't know his concussion issues were so bad, considering he didn't miss much time last year. I really hope they sit him out for the rest of the season and let him start fresh next year. 

I agree with all those that you mentioned. I think Tanner would get my vote or Leivo sucks that he was injured he was on pace for an awesome year and his best of his season as well.