The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Sits When Ferland and Leivo Return?

Rate this topic

Schmautzie

It’s great to see the team playing great and firing on all cylinders. But what happens when Ferland and Leivo are healthy?

With Loui’s resurgence its going to be a difficult decision. The obvious choices other than Schaller are Motte and/or Beagle but they are both contributing to the current success.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ferland and Leivo do. You don't mess with the current group if they are still performing like last night if/when these guys get back. 

I doubt we'll see either back, let alone both, for quite a while yet. 

Seconded

• Cheers 3

Ferland sits IMO. Leivo is a tougher one. He was producing at a borderline 2nd line rate while playing. Might be the case that he sits out but other players have a very short leash. Leivo is hardly a downgrade on any of our middle six players, so if any of them let off the gas, he'll be right there to step in for them.

8 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

1 easy choice for me is LE goes back to the press box. Great story that he is putting up points in the top 6, hard not to when his linemates are on fire producing alot more then him during the same stretch.

The 2nd person to sit will be Gaudette but I think that could change and we could look to deal Leivo, send him to a team in the hunt and get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back. Unfortunately we can't keep and sign all our UFA's. Leivo will want a raise and I doubt we can afford to keep all the UFAs we have. 

I would also serious consider trying to move Sutter, Edm wants a #3C, lets send him back home to Alberta. 

I think it's so long before Lievo (smashed knee) returns that it won't be and issue.  I have a lot of concern regarding Ferland's return and I am hoping the management does as well.

I agree with you regarding Sutter; although if he's healthy, I like him as a Canuck going into the playoffs.  I've always thought that Sutts would be a great 3C for the Soilers.  The only problem is that both teams are too close to the cap.  Oilers would want to send someone like Chiasson back and still want some retention on Sutts' contract; which the Nucks can't work into their cap.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ferland and Leivo do.

^ This.

Why mess with a working system.   Leivo can be inserted if/when the next forward goes down to injury and Ferk, well, at this point with the nature of his injury  (concussion), what's the point of even activating him unless the medical team is unequivocally certain he's 100% healthy?   Would it be such a bad thing to shut him down for the season and let him recover so he can actually finish his contract with us when he returns?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we should sit Ferland for the rest of the season until he gets healthy and recovers from his concussion issues. 

Then he might be of use next season and beyond. 

If we try and rush him in this season, he might be injured even more and he might not be able to play again for us. 

For his sake and the team's sake that's not something we should risk. 

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’m going to be a bit of a villain here but it’s pretty realistic that someone else will be injured at that time. Otherwise if the teams still playing well they can continue to sit along with Schaller

I would like to see them take a proactive approach to managing injuries if they have the depth.

No reason why we can’t rotate guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Motte and Eriksson in and out of the lineup down the stretch in order to keep them fresh and limit wear and tear.

Even if it’s just minor injury or fatigue they can play through why not rest and be 100% if we have that luxury? It also gives a chance to look at different pairings which could be helpful for later in the season.

The same approach should be looked at with guys like Edler and Tanev if we’re sitting in a good spot. Those guys are key to our success if we wanna make some noise in the playoffs.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

It’s great to see the team playing great and firing on all cylinders. But what happens when Ferland and Leivo are healthy?

With Loui’s resurgence its going to be a difficult decision. The obvious choices other than Schaller are Motte and/or Beagle but they are both contributing to the current success.

Thoughts?

The other 2 forwards who will be hurt.

12 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’m going to be a bit of a villain here but it’s pretty realistic that someone else will be injured at that time. Otherwise if the teams still playing well they can continue to sit along with Schaller 

My thoughts exactly. Schaller is totally expendable so there is one spot easily opened there. Combined with inevitable injuries, we will probably be just fine.

As for shutting Ferland down, I am fine with delaying his return just to be sure and get him back into game shape, but I am sure we will see him back soon enough as these games get harder and we get closer to solidifying a playoff spot.

The one thing I like about those guys who are injured...is they are the playoff type players.  The regular season they don't do much, but those are the guys who eat hard minutes in the playoffs.  I really like our eams make up, if we can hang on and make the playoffs.

• Like 1

If Leivo and Ferland don't come back until after the trade deadline we are fine with carrying as many players as we like as long as we still meet cap restrictions. If they come back before TDL we will have to send (waive) players to Utica to meet the 23 man roster limit. I believe salary cap will an issue in either of these 2 scenarios UNLESS someone else goes on LTIR.

Right now we have 14 forwards, including McEwen who we could send to Utica without going through waivers. We would probably waive Schaller as well but I don't think that would get us under the cap when Ferland returns. Seems to me that we either need to waive more salary or a deal needs to be made where we are not bringing as much salary back.