The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Sits When Ferland and Leivo Return?

Rate this topic

Schmautzie

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

TDL should be interesting, I hope. 

for the canucks? we should stand pat, not acquire anything imo. At best maybe send Fantenberg packing for a mid round pick and insert Benn back in the lineup. Benn has the additional year so might as well play him and get a pick back to add to our draft choices this June.

I would also consider trading Sutter will 1m retained if we are just getting a pick and or prospect back. Saves us 3m plus for next season by doing that. Need to free up all the cap we can going into next year.

If Leivo was back before TDL i would look to move him and keep new fan favourite LE in the lineup. Might as well...the slug ain't worth trading for by 30 other NHL teams even with him scraping some points in our top 6

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would like to see them take a proactive approach to managing injuries if they have the depth.

No reason why we can’t rotate guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Motte and Eriksson in and out of the lineup down the stretch in order to keep them fresh and limit wear and tear.

Even if it’s just minor injury or fatigue they can play through why not rest and be 100% if we have that luxury? It also gives a chance to look at different pairings which could be helpful for later in the season.

The same approach should be looked at with guys like Edler and Tanev if we’re sitting in a good spot. Those guys are key to our success if we wanna make some noise in the playoffs.

Not a bad idea. I would think we’d have to be in a pretty good position in the standings to have the luxury of sitting Tanev or Edler for something they can play through though. As much as that may help them in the long run. Let’s hope we can gain some points on the rest of the Pacific fools

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would like to see them take a proactive approach to managing injuries if they have the depth.

No reason why we can’t rotate guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Motte and Eriksson in and out of the lineup down the stretch in order to keep them fresh and limit wear and tear.

Even if it’s just minor injury or fatigue they can play through why not rest and be 100% if we have that luxury? It also gives a chance to look at different pairings which could be helpful for later in the season.

The same approach should be looked at with guys like Edler and Tanev if we’re sitting in a good spot. Those guys are key to our success if we wanna make some noise in the playoffs.

Not "Little things Loui"!!! He is turning into everyones favourite with his empty net goals and good defence :)

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Not "Little things Loui"!!! He is turning into everyones favourite with his empty net goals and good defence :)

Don’t worry I don’t think he’s coming out of the lineup any time soon.

Green clearly loves the balance he brings to Bo’s line. He seems to be regaining his confidence too which is great to see.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

for the canucks? we should stand pat, not acquire anything imo. At best maybe send Fantenberg packing for a mid round pick and insert Benn back in the lineup. Benn has the additional year so might as well play him and get a pick back to add to our draft choices this June.

I would also consider trading Sutter will 1m retained if we are just getting a pick and or prospect back. Saves us 3m plus for next season by doing that. Need to free up all the cap we can going into next year.

If Leivo was back before TDL i would look to move him and keep new fan favourite LE in the lineup. Might as well...the slug ain't worth trading for by 30 other NHL teams even with him scraping some points in our top 6

I agree 100% hopefully we can move a guy or two. As long as it doesn’t hurt us in the pursuit of the playoffs. I’d way rather see us get something back then buy and help our cap for next year. This is not the year to be buying. 

All depends on who’s healthy come deadline time. I’d be ok with keeping Leivo. If we can’t afford him in the summer oh well

Edited by Devron44

32 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Well Benning himself said he will look for a top six forward so if one is found, something has to give. 

motte and schaller will sit or there will be trades i can see leivo or schaller or sutter  and benn and stecher being traded i love that we are healthy gonna be interesting to see what benning does at deadline  and if tanev sutter eriksson will be back next yr  will tryamkin and rathbone  play for us in march we should be so excited   

miller petersson virtanen

pearson horvat eriksson

rousell gaudette boeser

sutter beagle ferland

motte/goldobin/macewen/baertchi

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

rathbone tanev

joulevi benn 

marky

demko

playoff depth huge   ourdcore is vastly better with rathbone tryamkin  inserted

benning will make a few moves but out depth is good we are going deep this yr

• Wat 4

16 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

miller petersson virtanen

pearson horvat eriksson

rousell gaudette boeser

sutter beagle ferland

motte/goldobin/macewen/baertchi

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

rathbone tanev

joulevi benn 

marky

demko

playoff depth huge   ourdcore is vastly better with rathbone tryamkin  inserted

benning will make a few moves but out depth is good we are going deep this yr

Is that for this year lol?

26 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Well Benning himself said he will look for a top six forward so if one is found, something has to give. 

yeah - that's the first thing that comes to mind where Ferland and Leivo are concerned - that Benning made that statement would seem to be an indication of how near or realistic these players' return is. 

So the OP is an interesting question, but there's good reason to believe the team probably won't be facing that decision.   That's really unfortunate where a player like Ferland is concerned, who is probably less likely to recover from concussions as Leivo from a 'lower body' injury (but you never know).  I'm still glad they signed Ferland, however - agree with the move - like him as a player when he's healthy and if not, his cap won't apply (and he will have security for the price he's paid on the ice).

For me, as it stands, I have virtually the entire forward group assigned - the only present players that aren't locks are LE and Gaudette, in that order.

I doubt they'll be healthy enough that two forwards in the present lineup would have to make way.

So I think the only guy whose spot is realistically in question would be LE, in spite of his resurgence - I think he would need to continue to be this consistent and productive, something we've only seen stints of in his time here.  It does take pressure off Benning to make a move and spend assets or cap on a placeholder - (either that or his statement helped light a bit of a fire under LE's 'last chance' here...).   Under the circumstances they are negotiating from a bit of a position of strength - they're performing/competing well - and they have assets to package if the right deal comes along = much better circumstances than in the past.  And likewise with their 6/7 D spot - Benn may not be playing as well as anticipated but Fantenburg has stepped up nicely - less pressure/need to seek an upgrade on depth there as well (as long as they're healthy).  Not having to add any contracts is ideal if they're looking to retain spaces for the coming year (when Juolevi or others might force their way in).

Doubt Sutter gets moved as he has another year left on his contract after this season.  It’ll take a pretty hefty salary retention (which eliminates the purpose of dealing him for cap purposes) for another team to want to take such a risk in acquiring him (given his injury history).  He also has about a 50% ‘do not trade’ clause which increases the difficulty in moving him.

If he can EVER stay healthy, he provides a valuable skill in the postseason.....defensive play.

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not having to add any contracts is ideal if they're looking to retain spaces for the coming year (when Juolevi or others might force their way in).

As we all know, anything can happen, but realistically the only guys I see not being here next season would be Baer, Schaller, Stetcher. 

Don't get me wrong, there's other guys I'd happily move on from, but their cap-hits are a no-go to other teams I'm assuming. 

Baer I'd be happy moving at the TDL to a team in need of back-up depth scoring for essentially any reasonable pick and/or a long-shot prospect at this point.  His cap hit being gone next year is worth more to us in signing our other guys quite frankly.

Schaller, well I think it's fair that was a signing that simply didn't pan-out as well as hoped, although I don't think it was a disaster, and I don't expect him to be here after he hits UFA. 

Stetcher is simply a casualty of our cap-situation and the need/desire to re-sign Tanev.  If we got a 3rd rounder for Stetcher I'd be fine with it and if we got anything more I'd be very happily surprised.  At some point, we need to insert a defenceman from Utica like OJ/Brisebois/Chatfield/Rafferty one would think and who's spot would they take if we re-sign Troy (and perhaps Fant at his current salary)? 

I would argue, Ferland should just focus on getting better for next year (being in the ltir will help deal with the cap) and Leivo should sit, until someone plays themselves out of the lineup.  In the end, it will always come down to coaches decision and who the opponent is will probably come into play.

Edited by ShawnAntoski