The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospects Update

Rob_Zepp

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nice to see you back.  I thought you got suspended, its been so long since I have noticed a post?

All 3 of your NHL teams going well right now!

Nah, not suspended.   Life got busier than it was supposed to be and I wanted to focus.   I also had an assignment that really wasn't aligned with social media and professional hockey so I wanted to avoid even a whisper of bias and/or controversy.   All that is wrapped up and it will fun to come back here on occasion and talk Canucks.    

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

I think Rick Dhaliwal has picked up their slack.  From Saturday afternoon:

Lost count of how many times he said it, and it rubbed off on his co-host who started parroting as well.  Would have thought HF'd be all over that canard.

Shockingly, they're in a good place cap wise.  There is only 2 variables over the next year.

Tryamkin

Seattle.

if Tryamkin comes back and either wants big money or plays himself in to big money, that's an issue.  Sutter will become a tradable asset next year as will a few other players.  Added the ELC's coming on line to replace larger contract players.

Seattle could potentially be paid to take an Eriksson or Sutter like Vegas did.  a 3rd with no retention.  a 5th with retention and voila he's gone.  No team is allowing Seattle to come in to the league and run the house like Vegas did and I expect some wheeling and dealing of that nature,

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Shockingly, they're in a good place cap wise.  There is only 2 variables over the next year.

Tryamkin

Seattle.

if Tryamkin comes back and either wants big money or plays himself in to big money, that's an issue.  Sutter will become a tradable asset next year as will a few other players.  Added the ELC's coming on line to replace larger contract players.

Seattle could potentially be paid to take an Eriksson or Sutter like Vegas did.  a 3rd with no retention.  a 5th with retention and voila he's gone.  No team is allowing Seattle to come in to the league and run the house like Vegas did and I expect some wheeling and dealing of that nature,

Won't Sutter be a UFA in 2021?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Won't Sutter be a UFA in 2021?

That's still 1.5 seasons away, the biggest gripe is "his contract makes him untraceable" but as of next season or July 1st that contract is more than manageable.  Erikssons to an extent as well.  As of the end of this season Eriksson has 2 seasons left at $6 million on the cap but a modified NTC with a 15 team allowance and has no NMC in his contract.  He's more than traceable or exposable to Seattle within the next calendar year

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nah, not suspended.   Life got busier than it was supposed to be and I wanted to focus.   I also had an assignment that really wasn't aligned with social media and professional hockey so I wanted to avoid even a whisper of bias and/or controversy.   All that is wrapped up and it will fun to come back here on occasion and talk Canucks.    

Glad to see you back

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's still 1.5 seasons away, the biggest gripe is "his contract makes him untraceable" but as of next season or July 1st that contract is more than manageable.  Erikssons to an extent as well.  As of the end of this season Eriksson has 2 seasons left at $6 million on the cap but a modified NTC with a 15 team allowance and has no NMC in his contract.  He's more than traceable or exposable to Seattle within the next calendar year

I meant in regard to giving Sutter up to Seattle. I was confused on that part since he'd be an upcoming UFA. Seattle could just sign him

Sutter will probably be gone in the off-season with Baer. 1 year left on both is a lot easier to move for sure and Sutter might garner some interest although the return won't be much. Our over-abundance on forward makes up for their loss and we need to re-sign some guys.

It should give us some cap relief as both make up for almost 8 million.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Tryamkin

Seattle.

I'm actually a bit concerned Vegas set a precedent.

Most teams are in the same boat, have a couple contracts they'd like to ditch and draft picks/prospects to burn.

Seattle will need actual incentive to not poach the BPA from each team. I don't see a way 31 GM's will just cooperate with each other to somehow stymie Seattle and the evil Buttman.

Maybe if JB is so cunning as to leave them with nothing but Sutter or Eriksson, I guess a 3rd could swing them the right direction.

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Sutter will probably be gone in the off-season with Baer. 1 year left on both is a lot easier to move for sure and Sutter might garner some interest although the return won't be much.

And IIRC, we have all of our retention slots free now so we could easily retain 50% on both shedding +/- $3.5M of cap.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

How does that work?

Salary retention... We retain (up to) 50% and next year we could (assuming no/little salary coming back) clear 1/2 of both of their salaries.

Plus Baer at $1.65m'ish and Sutter at $2.15m'ish (with only 1 year remainig) become FAR more attractive trade targets.

Just now, aGENT said:

Salary retention... We retain (up to) 50% and next year we could (assuming no/little salary coming back) clear 1/2 of both of their salaries.

Plus Baer at $1.65m'ish and Sutter at $2.15m'ish (with only 1 year remainig) become FAR more attractive trade targets.

Oh yeah right. afternoon fatigue on my part. Knew that.

For sure they'd become a lot more desirable at that cap.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Sutter especially, he might even fetch a 2nd if we are lucky

Would need to end the season well and healthy.

Anaheim said they'd take bad contracts for assets. I'd try to ship Eriksson over there asap. Give them all the picks they want besides 1st rounders.  We can survive without a draft. Maybe a bit more if they add Rakell..

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1