The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Canucks on your local team

Rate this topic

joe-max

Watching a game of my local team, the Nürnberg Ice Tigers in the German DEL I noticed that former Canucks great Jack Skille and recent Utica Comet WIll Acton were on the team. Other former Canucks players or prospects that played for the Ice Tigers include Dane Fox, Brandon Prust, Brad Leeb, Sergio Momesso, Jesse Schultz, Sean Brown, Alfie Michaud and Sven Butenschön. Obviously some of the greatest players to ever play in the NHL/AHL. Other former Ice Tigers that had decent NHL careers but never played for Vancouver are Steven Reinprecht, Dany Heatley, Christian Laflamme and Roman Turek. Former Canucks Jason Jaffray, Derek Roy, Maxim Lapieere, Alexander Sulzer, ALex Friesen and Alexandre Grenier are also in the league but on other teams right now.

So many players go through the system every year, most don't make it to the big league and end up in minor and European leagues or finish their careers there. What about your team? What former Canuck great did you see play live in your beer or minor league? Which former star was dragging his beer belly over the rink in your hometown? Which once highly touted prospect came down to earth in your country's 2nd division?

Edited by joe-max
  • Thanks 1

I lived three houses down from Lonny Bohonos in Winnipeg when I was a kid.  He was about 10 years younger than me and he had two older brothers, who were both really good hockey players in their own right.  Little Lonny was in there mucking it up and keeping pace in our high tempo, intense street hockey games that always had a couple of donnybrooks (lots of bleeding noses, black eyes).  Does that count?

On 1/21/2020 at 3:29 AM, joe-max said:

Watching a game of my local team, the Nürnberg Ice Tigers in the German DEL I noticed that former Canucks great Jack Skille and recent Utica Comet WIll Acton were on the team. Other former Canucks players or prospects that played for the Ice Tigers include Dane Fox, Brandon Prust, Brad Leeb, Sergio Momesso, Jesse Schultz, Sean Brown, Alfie Michaud and Sven Butenschön. Obviously some of the greatest players to ever play in the NHL/AHL. Other former Ice Tigers that had decent NHL careers but never played for Vancouver are Steven Reinprecht, Dany Heatley, Christian Laflamme and Roman Turek. Former Canucks Jason Jaffray, Derek Roy, Maxim Lapieere, Alexander Sulzer, ALex Friesen and Alexandre Grenier are also in the league but on other teams right now.

So many players go through the system every year, most don't make it to the big league and end up in minor and European leagues or finish their careers there. What about your team? What former Canuck great did you see play live in your beer or minor league? Which former star was dragging his beer belly over the rink in your hometown? Which once highly touted prospect came down to earth in your country's 2nd division?

Ice Tigers......good battles.   Nice rink you guys have too.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 3:29 AM, joe-max said:

Reinprecht was once Canucks property. Never played a game for the Canucks, just the affiliate Wolves, but joined the Ice Tigers the following season.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:12 PM, theo5789 said:

Reinprecht was once Canucks property. Never played a game for the Canucks, just the affiliate Wolves, but joined the Ice Tigers the following season.

DIdn't know that, thanks. I totally forgot that the Chicago Wolves were once affiliated with the Canucks. Didn't they once share their AHL team with another club?

44 minutes ago, joe-max said:

DIdn't know that, thanks. I totally forgot that the Chicago Wolves were once affiliated with the Canucks. Didn't they once share their AHL team with another club?

Yes we shared with Atlanta Thrashers at that time. It was some pretty gloomy times for developmental purposes. Probably why we moved on to add Utica to our system.