The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

aGENT

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure if your joking.  BPA on OUR team available in a mock draft at the moment...

If we learned anything from the Vegas draft was that they didn't necessarily go after BPA. They targetted players they could trade as well. They took on cap dumps for picks. So it'll be interesting to see who's available to be drafted when the lists come out. We may actually have a decent forward available assuming we decide to protect Lind.

• Cheers 1

The present landscape - (which will obviously change).

Anaheim Ducks
John Gibson (starter)
Ryan Miller (backup)

Arizona Coyotes
Antti Raanta (starter)
Adin Hill (backup) 
Darcy Kuemper (INJ.)

Boston Bruins
Tuukka Rask (starter)
Jaroslav Halak (backup)

Buffalo Sabres
Linus Ullmark (starter)
Carter Hutton (backup)

Calgary Flames
David Rittich (starter)
Cam Talbot (backup)

Carolina Hurricanes
Petr Mrazek (starter)
James Reimer (backup)

Chicago Blackhawks
Robin Lehner and Corey Crawford (timeshare)

Colorado Avalanche
Pavel Francouz and Philipp Grubauer (timeshare)

Columbus Blue Jackets
Elvis Merzlikins (starter)
Matiss Kivlenieks (backup)
Joonas Korpisalo (INJ.)

Dallas Stars
Ben Bishop (starter)
Anton Khudobin (backup)

Detroit Red Wings

Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Bernier (timeshare)

Edmonton Oilers
Mikko Koskinen and Mike Smith (timeshare)

Florida Panthers
Sergei Bobrovsky (starter)
Chris Driedger (backup)

Los Angeles Kings
Jonathan Quick (starter)
Jack Campbell (backup)

Minnesota Wild
Alex Stalock (starter)
Kaapo Kahkonen (backup)
Devan Dubnyk (DTD; personal)

Montreal Canadiens
Carey Price (starter)

Charlie Lindgren (backup)

Nashville Predators
Pekka Rinne (starter)
Juuse Saros (backup)

New Jersey Devils
Mackenzie Blackwood (starter)
Louis Domingue (backup)

New York Islanders
Semyon Varlamov (starter)
Thomas Greiss (backup)

New York Rangers
Henrik Lundqvist, Igor Shesterkin, Alexandar Georgiev (timeshare)

Ottawa Senators
Craig Anderson (starter)
Marcus Hogberg (backup) 

Philadelphia Flyers
Carter Hart (starter)
Brian Elliott (backup)

Pittsburgh Penguins
Tristan Jarry (starter)
Matt Murray (backup)

St. Louis Blues
Jordan Binnington (starter)
Jake Allen (backup)

San Jose Sharks
Aaron Dell (starter)
Martin Jones (backup)

Tampa Bay Lightning
Andrei Vasilevskiy (starter)
Curtis McElhinney (backup)

Toronto Maple Leafs

Frederik Andersen (starter)
Michael Hutchinson (backup)

Vancouver Canucks
Jacob Markstrom (starter)
Thatcher Demko (backup)

Vegas Golden Knights
Marc-Andre Fleury (starter)
Malcolm Subban (backup)

Washington Capitals
Braden Holtby (starter)
Ilya Samsonov (backup)

Winnipeg Jets
Connor Hellebuyck (starter)
Laurent Brossoit (backup)

For me - at a glance (I'm not going to waste a great deal of time on a matter that is subject to extreme contngency between now and ED - but at a glance, I might consider Samsonov the best 'backup' - but playing with an expiring Holtby (a lot of contingency there, like here) and otherwise, Greiss could also contend as the best 'backup' on that list - however, he's 34 yrs old, and he's expiring (at 3.33 million...)

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What?   Demko is the best backup goalie in the NHL?

I'm curious who you believe that  is?  Even just an answer in the present would be interesting.

I'm going to exclude one team by virtue of the fact that Seattle gets to pick at least two goaltenders - you don't get to consider whatever transpires in the Holtby/Samsonov situation.

Ok - go.

And then the additional question that follows - who is the best backup asset?   Because a veteran backup that might be 'better', but aging and/or with little term, or not particularly attractive terms, can make them a 'non-starter' where selecting them is concerned.   And who will  be the best asset at the point of expansion?

You pretend to be able to answer the first question - I'd like to see your answer - let alone be able to predict what happens in the goaltending market between now and ED - let alone, agian,  answer/forecast that Demko will not represent the answer to the second question.

None of it is the least bit convincing with all due respect.

I believe, if Demko is available, SEA will grab him (I think they're allowed 3 goalies). He's big, young, cheap and very good, and will only get better.

In the interview I read on page 1, Benning mentions how important Markstrom is, how he likes it here and his team mates, and his team mates like him, how he's been here a long time and they want to keep him. I think Benning will use Demko as leverage to get a "hometown discount" with Markstrom. Then, I think Demko gets traded before the Expansion Draft, to give him a chance to be a starter on another team (not in the Pacific).

I wonder if the Canucks will actually be sellers at the TDL. Benning has a good point about not wanting to disrupt the team chemistry. With the depth they have, Bailey and Rafferty deserving games and Benn being a consistent healthy scratch. Mind you, extra D down the stretch and into playoffs is huge. They've also got good depth at forward. I think this roster will be the team going for it.  If Ferland can come back 100%, and the rest of the team remains healthy, I like their chances in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Anaheim Ducks
John Gibson (starter)
Ryan Miller (backup)

Arizona Coyotes
Antti Raanta (starter)
Adin Hill (backup) 
Darcy Kuemper (INJ.)

Boston Bruins
Tuukka Rask (starter)
Jaroslav Halak (backup)

Buffalo Sabres
Linus Ullmark (starter)
Carter Hutton (backup)

Calgary Flames
David Rittich (starter)
Cam Talbot (backup)

Carolina Hurricanes
Petr Mrazek (starter)
James Reimer (backup)

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Columbus Blue Jackets
Joonas Korpisalo (INJ.)

Dallas Stars
Ben Bishop (starter)
Anton Khudobin (backup)

Detroit Red Wings

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers
Chris Driedger (backup)

Los Angeles Kings
Jonathan Quick (starter)
Jack Campbell (backup)

Minnesota Wild
Alex Stalock (starter)
Kaapo Kahkonen (backup)

Montreal Canadiens
Carey Price (starter)

Nashville Predators
Pekka Rinne (starter)
Juuse Saros (backup)

New Jersey Devils
Louis Domingue (backup)

New York Islanders
Thomas Greiss (backup)

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators
Craig Anderson (starter)
Marcus Hogberg (backup) 

Philadelphia Flyers
Carter Hart (starter)
Brian Elliott (backup)

Pittsburgh Penguins
Tristan Jarry (starter)
Matt Murray (backup)

St. Louis Blues
Jake Allen (backup)

San Jose Sharks
Aaron Dell (starter)
Martin Jones (backup)

Tampa Bay Lightning

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vancouver Canucks
Thatcher Demko (backup)

Vegas Golden Knights
Malcolm Subban (backup)

Washington Capitals
Braden Holtby (starter)
Ilya Samsonov (backup)

Winnipeg Jets

For me - at a glance (I'm not going to waste a great deal of time on a matter that is subject to extreme contngency between now and ED - but at a glance, I might consider Samsonov the best 'backup' - but playing with an expiring Holtby (a lot of contingency there, like here) and otherwise, Greiss could also contend as the best 'backup' on that list - however, he's 34 yrs old, and he's expiring (at 3.33 million...)

Raanta, Kuemper (take your pick)

Korpisalo, Merzlikinis (take your pick) are in my opinion right now better back ups compared to Demko but.... A lot will transpire between now and the expansion draft.  Regardless, I'm not sold that Demko will be taken or the best option when the time comes for Seattle to pick their goalies.  

I've been a huge Demko fan from the beginning... Also have a soft spot for him as I've met him in person and found to be a real character quality person.  Regardless, these other goalies I've mention have already shown or making a great cases to be considered great future starters.  Demko needs more work to show what he is and will be.  I'm rooting for him and really hope we keep him because I think he'll become a great starting goaltender in the NHL at some point... Hopefully for the Nucks!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Raanta, Kuemper (take your pick)

Korpisalo, Merzlikinis (take your pick) are in my opinion right now better back ups compared to Demko but.... A lot will transpire between now and the expansion draft.  Regardless, I'm not sold that Demko will be taken or the best option when the time comes for Seattle to pick their goalies.  

I've been a huge Demko fan from the beginning... Also have a soft spot for him as I've met him in person and found to be a real character quality person.  Regardless, these other goalies I've mention have already shown or making a great cases to be considered great future starters.  Demko needs more work to show what he is and will be.  I'm rooting for him and really hope we keep him because I think he'll become a great starting goaltender in the NHL at some point... Hopefully for the Nucks!

You've named a pair of 30 year olds - and the ed is a few years away still.

Ranta expires  - he's earning over $4 million, and highly debatable whether he's better than Demko or could be considered a 'backup' at those terms.

Kuemper has re-signed at 4.5 million = likewise, hardly a "backup" contract (more than Markstrom presently earns).

Korpisalo and Merz are a pair of 25 year olds (the later with 21 career NHL games) - they're both RFAs this summer. - one of them might be an ed contender (and again, Seattle gets numerous kicks at it)  - but you can't refer to both of them as 'backups' - they are essentially a platoon, one has to be considered a 'starter', one of them would be protected. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

You've named a pair of 30 year olds - and the ed is a few years away still.

Ranta expires  - he's earning over $4 million, and highly debatable whether he's better than Demko or could be considered a 'backup' at those terms.

Kuemper has re-signed at 4.5 million = likewise, hardly a "backup" contract (more than Markstrom presently earns).

Korpisalo and Merz are a pair of 25 year olds (the later with 21 career NHL games) - they're both RFAs this summer. - one of them might be an ed contender (and again, Seattle gets numerous kicks at it)  - but you can't refer to both of them as 'backups' - they are essentially a platoon, one has to be considered a 'starter', one of them would be protected. 

Alright... You have some good points there.  Especially with Kuemper and Raanta.  They will probably be out of the picture come ed.  However, it's hard to say between Korpisalo and Merzlikinis (even though he has only 21 games... He looks really good) who will end up being the starter in Columbus.  Regardless, to your point, there doesn't seem to be that many greater options based on age and experience than Demko come ed.  I'd add Shesterkins in there possibly?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Hogs & Podz said:

Alright... You have some good points there.  Especially with Kuemper and Raanta.  They will probably be out of the picture come ed.  However, it's hard to say between Korpisalo and Merzlikinis (even though he has only 21 games... He looks really good) who will end up being the starter in Columbus.  Regardless, to your point, there doesn't seem to be that many greater options based on age and experience than Demko come ed.  I'd add Shesterkins in there possibly?

The point was not a claim that Demko is the 'best backup' in the NHL:  the points are that here is the real landscape in the present - which will change, and a player need not be the 'best player' at their position to be selected in the expansion draft - there is the combination of best player available from a particular team - and best asset available, which goes further, to consider their age, cap hit, contract, etc.  And there is the possibility that Seattle could take both a Demko and a Korpi/Merzilikins - and still take another goaltender.

But basically, no one can really reassure anyone at this point that Demko would not be taken.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

The point was not a claim that Demko is the 'best backup' in the NHL:  the points are that here is the real landscape in the present - which will change, and a player need not be the 'best player' at their position to be selected in the expansion draft - there is the combination of best player available from a particular team - and best asset available, which goes further, to consider their age, cap hit, contract, etc.  And there is the possibility that Seattle could take both a Demko and a Korpi/Merzilikins - and still take another goaltender.

But basically, no one can really reassure anyone at this point that Demko would not be taken.

No you're right, there is no way to guarantee or reassure anyone at this point... Overall my point was to bring to light that there are other up and coming goaltenders that will also be attractive to seattle come the ed.  You poked some holes in my original statement as to viability of some of those tenders I deemed good alternatives to Demko... And you are right.  So you helped educate me there.  Gives me pause to look deeper.  But also, as you mentioned... We'll just have to wait and see, the landscape will change significantly from now to the ed.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Maybe.   But for how long?  Our teams cap structure doesn't allow for two number ones.   Demko's bridge is up next season .... you can bet his agent won't accept anything less then Markstrom is currently making if he's continues to improve a little each year like he has -  add that to JM raise and the 4 million we are currently paying for goalies will more then double - maybe as high as 10 even.    Just can't see the team affording both these guys regardless - Demko will get a shot at being a number one at some point, and it won't be with us if JM signs for 4-6 years. 

Yeah he will take a bridge. This is his first season. As we've seen it takes a long time to become a #1 and Demko won't be even ready for that by next year.

No way he doesn't sign another Bridge. Markstrom played way more games at his age and had better statistics but we still signed Miller and Markstrom sign another bridge deal.

It's gonna take time for Demko.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Good point and also the mention of Merzilikins. Seattle actually has more options beyond Demko. People here act like Demko is a lock to be taken as if he's the best. I do believe Demko will be a top starting goalie but he isn't the only option. Seattle will probably follow Vegas and take experience and maturity first.

There's also Georgiev from the Rangers if they re-sign him. He's 23 and primed to be a starter. Protect Shesterkin, expose Georgiev. If by some fluke Shesterkin isn't protected, Seattle grabs him over Demko.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Anaheim Ducks
John Gibson (starter)
Ryan Miller (backup)

Arizona Coyotes
Antti Raanta (starter)
Adin Hill (backup) 
Darcy Kuemper (INJ.)

Boston Bruins
Tuukka Rask (starter)
Jaroslav Halak (backup)

Buffalo Sabres
Linus Ullmark (starter)
Carter Hutton (backup)

Calgary Flames
David Rittich (starter)
Cam Talbot (backup)

Carolina Hurricanes
Petr Mrazek (starter)
James Reimer (backup)

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Columbus Blue Jackets
Joonas Korpisalo (INJ.)

Dallas Stars
Ben Bishop (starter)
Anton Khudobin (backup)

Detroit Red Wings

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers
Chris Driedger (backup)

Los Angeles Kings
Jonathan Quick (starter)
Jack Campbell (backup)

Minnesota Wild
Alex Stalock (starter)
Kaapo Kahkonen (backup)

Montreal Canadiens
Carey Price (starter)

Nashville Predators
Pekka Rinne (starter)
Juuse Saros (backup)

New Jersey Devils
Louis Domingue (backup)

New York Islanders
Thomas Greiss (backup)

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators
Craig Anderson (starter)
Marcus Hogberg (backup) 

Philadelphia Flyers
Carter Hart (starter)
Brian Elliott (backup)

Pittsburgh Penguins
Tristan Jarry (starter)
Matt Murray (backup)

St. Louis Blues
Jake Allen (backup)

San Jose Sharks
Aaron Dell (starter)
Martin Jones (backup)

Tampa Bay Lightning

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vancouver Canucks
Thatcher Demko (backup)

Vegas Golden Knights
Malcolm Subban (backup)

Washington Capitals
Braden Holtby (starter)
Ilya Samsonov (backup)

Winnipeg Jets

Right now ... Seattle takes ...

Holtby

Georgiev

Murray

15 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

There's also Georgiev from the Rangers if they re-sign him. He's 23 and primed to be a starter. Protect Shesterkin, expose Georgiev. If by some fluke Shesterkin isn't protected, Seattle grabs him over Demko.

No need - Shesterkin is not eligible - doesn't need to be protected.

15 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Right now ... Seattle takes ...

Holtby

Georgiev

Murray

Right now:

Holtby expires this summer.

Shesterkin ineligible = Georgiev protected.

Murray is a lucky bumb.  Boeser might like that pick - bringing him into our division, but....

He's losing his job to Jarry.

He has a 3.75 million cap hit to qualify (expires this summer).

And he has a .900 sv%, on the NHL's 4th best team.  Jarry is .929.

Right now = Demko is a better pick than Murray.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No need - Shesterkin is not eligible - doesn't need to be protected.

Right now:

Holtby expires this summer.

Shesterkin ineligible = Georgiev protected.

Murray is a lucky bumb.  Boeser might like that pick - bringing him into our division, but....

He's losing his job to Jarry.

He has a 3.75 million cap hit to qualify (expires this summer).

And he has a .900 sv%, on the NHL's 4th best team.  Jarry is .929.

Right now = Demko is a better pick than Murray.

Thanks for correcting me on all of that. Was out last night. I didn't put much thought into my post ... obviously. Tried to wing it.

Agree, Demko better than Murray. Was thinking more from an experience standpoint. Can still see Murray being an appealing option if unprotected.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Thanks for correcting me on all of that. Was out last night. I didn't put much thought into my post ... obviously. Tried to wing it.

Agree, Demko better than Murray. Was thinking more from an experience standpoint. Can still see Murray being an appealing option if unprotected.

I'm a bit torn on this expansion.

I 'hate' expansion - hate the whole dynamic it geneates - hate the Vegas Knights - hate how spoon fed the process was for them.

On the other hand, I like Seattle - wouldn't mind seeing them form a good rivalry with the Canucks and Alberta teams - they'll probably be my favorite American team from the get-go - I find myself softening on my contempt for how favourable the expansion draft terms are.

So I'd advise them against taking Murray....(no bias whatsoever :bigblush:)  

Realistically the rest of his (larger) sample is pretty good (lifetime .915 - good in his first two playoffs, not so much the past two years) - maybe a  'starter' option depending on what his terms will look like?  Vegas did alright taking a downward trending (at the time) former Pens starter.