Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

aGENT

26 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Thanks for posting...

Regarding the 5 prospects he wants to sign just guessing who the players are;

My guess is..... Woo, Madden , Lockwood, Hoglander and Rathbone

Podzy won't likely be one as he is still under Russian contract. 

Any other guesses?

woo is signed already so maybe toni utteneon  

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

More of a dark horse possibility than anything, especially considering Woo is already signed to a contract. 

Is he just on a slide? Well $&!#...there you go. Still not likely referring to Try IMO but if not...then who....

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Is he just on a slide? Well $&!#...there you go. Still not likely referring to Try IMO but if not...then who....

Woo slides I believe yes. 

Utunen (sp?) maybe? Focht? Next year would be an overage year for him in junior if I’m not mistaken, perhaps they think it would serve him best to play pro hockey instead. 

I’m only throwing Try’s name out there because management has openly said they’re exploring the possibility of bringing him back and maybe Benning just grouped him in with young prospects to avoid saying “a few young prospects plus another sorta young guy whose prospect status is debatable” or something along those lines. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I really don't think Markstrom is getting signed

My reasoning Markstrom going to want more then Benning willing to pay and the truth is good on Benning don't throw it away on a 30 year old goalie stick to your guns

He’ll be signed. He’s gonna be huge for this team the next few years. Judging by the last couple resignings. They’ll get a deal done 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I really don't think Markstrom is getting signed

My reasoning Markstrom going to want more then Benning willing to pay and the truth is good on Benning don't throw it away on a 30 year old goalie stick to your guns

4'ish years at $5.5-$6m +/- IMO. Fair for both sides.

That does raise the question of what happens with Demko pre-ED though... Oh well, a problem for another day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Devron44 said:

He’ll be signed. He’s gonna be huge for this team the next few years. Judging by the last couple resignings. They’ll get a deal done 

I really don't think so.

The price tag will be to high

simply ask yourself how much is he worth 

Im thinking he is going to want close to 7mill per and benning will want 6.

At what point is it to high for you for anyone on this forum, Cause im sure Benning and his team know that number.

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

I really don't think so.

The price tag will be to high

simply ask yourself how much is he worth 

Im thinking he is going to want close to 7mill per and benning will want 6.

At what point is it to high for you for anyone on this forum, Cause im sure Benning and his team know that number.

I’d be very surprised if he got more then 6 million. He’s been a great goaltender but he doesn’t have multiple years If being a great goaltender on his resume. He’s never won a vezina and has a below .500 record. These thing will come to play come negotiations. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

4'ish years at $5.5-$6m +/- IMO. Fair for both sides.

That does raise the question of what happens with Demko pre-ED though... Oh well, a problem for another day.

exactly.  IMHO, the Canucks have lots of depth at goalie.  Assuming Markstrom gets resigned, if the worst thing that happens at the ED is the Canucks lose a player in possibly their deepest position....oh well.  Going to lose someone, might as well lose someone that you know you can replace immediately with Dipietro.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I’d be very surprised if he got more then 6 million. He’s been a great goaltender but he doesn’t have multiple years If being a great goaltender on his resume. He’s never won a vezina and has a below .500 record. These thing will come to play come negotiations. 

So you walk away if he demands 6 and let him try his luck in UFA 

Cause I'm sure there are at least 5-10 teams that would give him 6-7 with term

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Just as easy to sign a veteran back up and then expose the back up in the expansion draft and run with Demko and DiPietro the season following

there is no way Jim Benning is going that route  ,  assemble a great team then turn  to un proven starter and even a more unproven back up , there is no way DiPierto  will be the back up next year or even the following year

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Think like a GM that has Eriksson on his record already.

Do you pay a 30 year old goalie 6 mill or 6-7 years when you have Demko and Dipierto in your back pocket

Demko is 1 or 2 years out and Mikey 3-5. You could potentially ruin their careers by throwing them in the fire next year. Ya can’t Mess with goalies. I know I am one lol

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1