The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Interview

Rate this topic

aGENT

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're underestimating the love that Marky has for this team and the City of Vancouver. He wants to be a Canuck for the rest of his career and wants to win, and he's also a Swede who will likely take a fairly big discount to remain with the team.

Aside from derailing the thread too much and making this all about Marky...

To everyone: If we make the playoffs I think JB will win GM of the Year. How can he not? Who else is in contention for that award? He should also win the award for best Humble Pie.

I think there is always that Chance that Markstrom could give a home town discount, But also this is his last contract.

But also if we sign Markstrom Demko is gone and I don't like that possiblity

Edited by Arrow 1983

Last thing I have to say about Markstrom

Mark my words if Benning signs Markstrom longer then 3-4 years for greater then 6 mill it will be the beginning of the end for Benning.

The Contract will hand cuff the Canucks and they will lose better assets at the goalie position, as well as put themselves in to Cap hell

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Last thing I have to say about Markstrom

Mark my words if Benning signs Markstrom longer then 3-4 years for greater then 6 mill it will be the beginning of the end for Benning.

The Contract will hand cuff the Canucks and they will lose better assets at the goalie position, as well as put themselves in to Cap hell

This will never happen IMO because I believe Benning Knows this and therefor,  I believe in Benning

Thus, Bye Bye Markstrom

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Wat 1

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

4'ish years at $5.5-$6m +/- IMO. Fair for both sides.

That does raise the question of what happens with Demko pre-ED though... Oh well, a problem for another day.

JB said last summer the team had a plan in place to recoup the first given up to (very wisely) get JT Miller.  IMO that plan includes trading Demko at the 2020 or 2021 draft.  

43 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

What if Markstrom wants more should Benning walk away or pay.

JB said in today’s interview he will sign Marky proving the contract is fair.  If the numbers get too high, and .jB thinks it’s no longer fair, then he will let Marky walk.  Cap space is a HUGE value now, and just as important as trading guys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB said in today’s interview he will sign Marky proving the contract is fair.  If the numbers get too high, and .jB thinks it’s no longer fair, then he will let Marky walk.  Cap space is a HUGE value now, and just as important as trading guys. 

At least some one here understands

• Like 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

It’s what JB said.  IMO JB has two plans.  One they sign Marky to a fair deal and trade Demko.  (I don’t like this, but think it’s the one that will happen).  Or we let Marky walk, and use that saved cap space to sign Tanev, Jake, and keep our team together - mostly.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s what JB said.  IMO JB has two plans.  One they sign Marky to a fair deal and trade Demko.  (I don’t like this, but think it’s the one that will happen).  Or we let Marky walk, and use that saved cap space to sign Tanev, Jake, and keep our team together - mostly.  

you are absolutely right signing Markstrom will have cap implications,

I think no matter what Gaud and Virtanen are re-signed

If Markstrom signs Demko will be a casualty for sure, and Tanev or Stecher will be gone, 

But I wouldn't give Tanev more then 5mill per for 3 maybe 4 years. Or he can walk, Tanev and Markstrom are in the same boat for me over 30 and going to start declining 

14 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Alot of people on CDC say JB has learned to be a GM after early mistakes.  I think differently.   I think he took over an aging team with no prospects and no middle aged core players.  He did what he could with what little he had to try to find value. Over time he was able to find enough coupled with his great drafting and improved development to be in a position of strength with a young core and middle aged support players. 

GMs are smart and they know when you are bargaining from weakness.   It is a very tough job.  He had a long term vision and it is coming to fruition. 

I agree with this statement, except for playing Virtanen and McCann as yearly as they did, in my books this was a clear mistake, and he has learned from this one. Patients with these kids are a must, let the ones that truly belong up here be here (Hughes Petey Boeser) and the others develop in the AHL.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

you are absolutely right signing Markstrom will have cap implications,

I think no matter what Gaud and Virtanen are re-signed

If Markstrom signs Demko will be a casualty for sure, and Tanev or Stecher will be gone, 

But I wouldn't give Tanev more then 5mill per for 3 maybe 4 years. Or he can walk, Tanev and Markstrom are in the same boat for me over 30 and going to start declining 

the bigger picture for myself is if Markstrom is at 6 mill who do we lose after next season to insure we can sign Hughes and Petey. The cap implications do not just transfer to next year but to years after as well. After Petey and Hughes are re-signed next up is Boeser again. that's why term on Markstom Contract will be just as important as the $$$.

Demko can be had for less then 4 on his next deal and DiPietro would closely resemble Demkos contract this year. Goaltending can be had at under 5 mill.

Edited by Arrow 1983

56 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yep corey scheinder  look where is he now 

He’s kind of a one off. In theory he should still be competing. He was developed properly. I was referring to the Calvin Pickard type goalies. Throw in and ruined. Then you have the goalies like Carter Hutton and Darling great numbers as a back ups. Then signed by other teams and were clearly not Starting goaltenders this a fine line 

36 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

We understand but I personally don’t think he’s gonna cost as much as you think. And if he does then sure walk away but you’re gonna have to acquire another goaltender.